Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By icwhatudidthere
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Miracast kinda sucks

Just got a new LG projector with Miracast support and was really excited to try it out with the new Nexus 7. Well setup is really easy but it can't seem to stream Netflix more than about 30 seconds before stuttering for about 10 seconds. Worse Google Play won't let you Miracast pinned movies.

Good thing I've got my Chromecast.

Default Re: Miracast kinda sucks

I thought the 2013 had Slimcast and not Miracast?

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidretro View Post
    I thought the 2013 had Slimcast and not Miracast?
    It has Slimport and Miracast.

Slimport just means that you can get HDMI video and sound from the mini USB port, but Asus was too cheap to put a decoder chip in the N7 so we have to fight it out to buy a short supply of price gouged adapter cables. I even heard there's a slight lag even using this CABLE. So many people complained about the orig N7 not having HDMI output, well be careful what you wish for!

Miracast is a wireless display feature that uses WiFi. Support is small and low quality, but getting better.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It has a Slimport and also Miracast. Slimport for plugging in directly from the MicroUSB port and Miracast for wireless.

thats why i bought a chromecast and ditched miracast even though i have miracast support on my N4 and N10.
    miracast is good only to share device screen apart from that cromecast can do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by icwhatudidthere View Post
    Just got a new LG projector with Miracast support and was really excited to try it out with the new Nexus 7. Well setup is really easy but it can't seem to stream Netflix more than about 30 seconds before stuttering for about 10 seconds. Worse Google Play won't let you Miracast pinned movies.

Good thing I've got my Chromecast.
    Are you using a Chromecast to stream Netflix and Google movies through the projector?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by tflash View Post
    Are you using a Chromecast to stream Netflix and Google movies through the projector?
    Yes I am. It works great. The projector has a USB port which powers the Chromecast and battery pack so it's a fully portable wireless streaming setup. The Nexus 7 essentially becomes a fancy remote control. I set up an impromptu outdoor movie theater at my parents' house over the weekend. We watched Breaking Bad on the side of the house on a 10 foot screen!

Quote Originally Posted by icwhatudidthere View Post
    Yes I am. It works great. The projector has a USB port which powers the Chromecast and battery pack so it's a fully portable wireless streaming setup. The Nexus 7 essentially becomes a fancy remote control. I set up an impromptu outdoor movie theater at my parents' house over the weekend. We watched Breaking Bad on the side of the house on a 10 foot screen!
    That sounds cool. One question - Did the Netflix stream stutter on just the projector, or did it do that on the N7 too?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by tflash View Post
    That sounds cool. One question - Did the Netflix stream stutter on just the projector, or did it do that on the N7 too?
    With Miracast, it only stuttered on the projector. The N7 continued playing fine. What's weird is the sound also continued fine on the projector, just the video stopped.

What kind of projector do you use?