Wall charger makes noise while charging Nexus 7

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
My wall wart charger for my 2013 Nexus 7 makes a high pitched buzzing sound while charging.
I can clearly hear it across the room.
Wasn't sure if this was normal, since my 2012 Nexus 7 doesn't make this type of noise.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Asus_Fred

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My wall wart charger for my 2013 Nexus 7 makes a high pitched buzzing sound while charging.
I can clearly hear it across the room.
Wasn't sure if this was normal, since my 2012 Nexus 7 doesn't make this type of noise.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

The AC adapter should not be making a sound that you can hear across the room. If you need assistance with that you can send me an email at cl-fred@asus.com

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Try another device in the same outlet. Noise? If yes, call an electrician or attempt self-repair

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Try another device in the same outlet. Noise? If yes, call an electrician or attempt self-repair

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

None of my other devices make noise, nor does the charger for my 2012 Nexus. The plug outlet is fine.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The AC adapter should not be making a sound that you can hear across the room. If you need assistance with that you can send me an email at cl-fred@asus.com

Another Asus rep contacted me and said I should return it to the retailer I purchased it from. I was hoping I could just have the faulty charger replaced, because my tablet itself is working fine. Hate to exchange it for one that has issues like many others are reporting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

alsip1023

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
This may sound strange, but it may just be you. I discovered a while back that I can hear a number of electrical devices...especially when charging. I can hear my wife's tab, the ps3, my electric razor charging, etc... They make a super high pitched noise. It freaked me out as I thought I was going crazy. Did some research on the net and found out I wasn't alone.

Honest to goodness though, before giving up your perfect Nexus, have a couple of (non-judgemental lol) friends or family members see if they can hear it. I bet they can't and its just a frequency you are able to hear.

Let us know how it goes!

Dethbass

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got a nexus 7, plugged it in, came back a half hour later and the charger was buzzing. Guess it's back to best buy. Oh, and the charger is abnormally warm.

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Try using a different charger and see if it makes the hissing noise as well. I'd say your charger should be replaced. The charger getting a bit warm is normal, especially if you're using the tablet while charging but the sound isn't.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Try using a different charger and see if it makes the hissing noise as well. I'd say your charger should be replaced. The charger getting a bit warm is normal, especially if you're using the tablet while charging but the sound isn't.

It's the charger and not the Nexus 7. It doesn't make any noise if I charge it using my 2012 Nexus charger, or chargers from my other devices. I only hear noise if I charge it using the 2013 charger.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Dethbass

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't using it while it was charging. It sounded like a fluorescent light buzzing. The charger was abnormally warm too, not just regular use warm. I was afraid to leave it plugged in for fear of it escalating to a fire situation. I'll return it today. Hopefully the next one is issue free. I'm leaving for vacation Saturday and wanted to use it on the plane ride.

Posted via Android Central App

Marck527

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a faulty charger/cable or power point. My nexus doesn't do this, but my old iPod did which I found out had a busted charger.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4