Screen cracked due to minor drop

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
My 11-year-old son was on the couch and as he got up his 3-week-old Nexus 7 slipped and fell from about waist high and did a faceplant on our hardwood floor.

Picked it up and now there is a hairwide crack across the top quarter of the screen, and any area above that no longer responds to touch control.

Fortunatelely I purchased a SquareTrade warrantly. But this screen is pretty senstitive it would seem. His 2012 Nexus 7 survived it's share of bumps and bruises. I wouldn't think a faceplant would cause a crack. What sucks is he doesn't have a case because cases are hard to find because many haven't been released. The AMZR case is due out this week and we were waiting for that. :'(

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My 11-year-old son was on the couch and as he got up his 3-week-old Nexus 7 slipped and fell from about waist high and did a faceplant on our hardwood floor.

Picked it up and now there is a hairwide crack across the top quarter of the screen, and any area above that no longer responds to touch control.

Fortunatelely I purchased a SquareTrade warrantly. But this screen is pretty senstitive it would seem. His 2012 Nexus 7 survived it's share of bumps and bruises. I wouldn't think a faceplant would cause a crack. What sucks is he doesn't have a case because cases are hard to find because many haven't been released. The AMZR case is due out this week and we were waiting for that. :'(

It surely seems that it has sensitive hardware. I saw a YouTube video performing a drop test on the new N7, and falling flat on the back, it would not turn on after that....... :eek:

carbon fibre

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site

You drop onto a hard surface from "waist height" and it can go either way for any glass covered device, particularly one without a case. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. My retina iPad slid off the edge of a chair ("knee height") onto a hardwood floor. Glass cracked. Of course I wish it didn't, but it was my own damn fault.

PS: I went into the Apple store fully expecting to cough up $300 for a replacement, but ended up walking out with a new one for nothing. Nice, but even nicer was restoring from the previous night's backup. A *perfect* restore. I will not be able to move to Android for serious usage until an equivalent backup regime (automatic, complete) is included. Hopefully in 5.0.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
It surely seems that it has sensitive hardware. I saw a YouTube video performing a drop test on the new N7, and falling flat on the back, it would not turn on after that....... :eek:

SquareTrade did a drop test and the new Nexus 7 performed admirably. Personally don't have much faith in drop tests, they simply don't drop a large enough number of devices to provide decent data. I know I saw another drop test where the Nexus 7 screen remained intact, but the device wouldn't boot.

Best bet, don't drop! Or, get an accidental damage warranty. I'm still debating that issue, I have once dropped an e-reader (no damage) and once an Android media player (no damage), but nothing else. I may self insure this time around.

Sent from my magical Nexus 7 (2013)

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Best bet, don't drop! Or, get an accidental damage warranty. I'm still debating that issue, I have once dropped an e-reader (no damage) and once an Android media player (no damage), but nothing else. I may self insure this time around.

Sent from my magical Nexus 7 (2013)
I'm like you. I rarely break or lose any of my devices. Unfortunately, my carefulness and diligence have not transfered to my kid. A couple years ago he had a Kindle that was his entry into the tablet world and he loved it until he fell in love with stock Android and rooting and ROMs. The screen on that broke. He got Straight As in 4th Grade so I got him the Nexus 7 (2012), and since I bought it, got a SquareTrade Warranty.

He lasted pretty much a year with it and always had a leather flip case on it. But it had it's share or scuffs and the USB port at the bottom was a barely funcional because it was a loosey-goosey. On a trip to Disney World, in all his 11-year-old wisdom, he decided to put it in his carry-on. When he pulled it out down in Florida... big ole' crack. Filed a claim.

Now he's had the new Nexus for 3 weeks, dropped on the hardwood, and now I need to file another claim. I told him he needs to use it like that for at least another month just to remind him to be careful. :mad: And he now has a case.

Me personally, I have had my Asis Transformer Infinity for 6 months with no damage, and I had a Transformer Prime for 8 months before that with no damage. I have insurance on my phones usually, but I rarely drop or lose them... so I am constantly debating whether to drop the insurance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463