Morals...

filking762

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Question for you all.

With the imminent arrival of the new N7 in UK (and ROW), a lot of shops are now selling off the old N7 with slight discounts.
(i've seen various discounts from ?10 off to ?40 off).

But, should they tell the people buying that a new one is coming out in a few weeks? (Not everyone is up to date with tech or read AC).

Morally, I believe this is wrong. The shops all know a new one is coming, so are shifting old stock onto unsuspecting public. Which they are perfectly entitled to do

I would be majorly peeved if I paid ?240 for a tablet, and a new, better one arrived a week later.

(Just read a review on argos website with someone buying the 32gb ver on the 13/8 saying it's great. But if he'd waited a few weeks).

Last edited:

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Morales ??

I don't see it as morally wrong. Customers should do their research before any major purchase.

filking762

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

Yes... I agree... But someone who doesn't understand tech really (and there are loads of them out there), will get an old tablet.

The shops should say new one coming soon...

Just my opinion.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Yes... I agree... But someone who doesn't understand tech really (and there are loads of them out there), will get an old tablet.

Just my opinion.

I can understand that feeling, and it would be nice if they did, but at the same time I could see people saying the same thing about letting people know that a new iPad Mini may be announced/available soon, or that it lacks a certain feature they think is important, etc. As long as they are truthful about what it is they are selling, and not trying to actively hide information about competitive products (including new versions), then I don't think it's a moral issue, but a convenience issue. It's nice when a salesperson helps inform the customer, but the obligation to research before purchase is really still on the customer. And if the customer doesn't understand tech stuff, they need to ask a friend or someone to help fill them in.

There's also the factor that the sales people may not have a clue about what's coming out soon, so they can't inform the customer.

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Just my opinion.

If they do this with tablets, shouldn't they also do it with every other product that gets a refresh every once in a while (almost everything)? Computers, TVs, vacuums, ovens, etc...

I agree with YAYTech that a consumer should be responsible for researching products before they buy.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site

No. Consumer choice. Buyer beware. Etc.

There is always a new "x" coming out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

filking762

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

Hence why i asked the question... Nice answers... (glad i'm up to date with 'tech' news)...

In UK, a lot of people buy 'online'...

MUM :what do you want for your birthday?
Kid: A Nexus 7, that is a cool device.
MUM: Let's see what 'Birthdaysanta' brings you. (Birthdaysanta??? ermm .. it won't catch on)

Mum: ermm looks online. buys nexus 7 (no idea on techie stuff, born before 1960!!) (I could be in trouble for that one!!!)

Birthday
Kid: Geee thanks mum

1st day at school (3 weeks later)
Kid: Look what I got!!! It's neat. (usa talk for great)

School Techy: 'PAH' That's outdated....

Kid spends rest of life planning revenge........ (goes and works for apple!!)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I swear I thought this thread was going to be about some guy named Morales :)

Bueller? Bueller?

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm not sure what a guy named Morales has to do with any of this :D, but I think as far as morals are concerned, there's nothing wrong there. All retailers do that. It's certainly buyer beware, though if you're lucky, the salesperson may tell you. Some consumers don't care about having the latest, they'd rather save a few bucks. Most stores also have at least a 14 day return period, so if your purchase falls within that time and the new one comes out, you can always take it back.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

It happens. I bought a new Tivo with 4 tuners and 1.2 TB in June for $300+ and the just announced the replacement with 6 tuners, 3 TB, and wifi streaming for the same price. Same thing for people buying iPad Minis this week with a new one due on Sept 15.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

It happens. I bought a new Tivo with 4 tuners and 1.2 TB in June for $300+ and the just announced the replacement with 6 tuners, 3 TB, and wifi streaming for the same price. Same thing for people buying iPad Minis this week with a new one due on Sept 15.

That;s right. They'll continue selling the original iPad Mini until the day the new one is released. Happens with every manufacturer/store. It's normal and nothing unethical.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

lol, no it isn't wrong at all. Customers should be informed when making any purchase and it is 100% their fault if they did that.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Just my opinion.

This is not a question of morals in my opinion. No where in morals does it say you should work, and give what you sow to someone else for free. (in other words give free knowledge, and experience to someone).

A moral question would be more along the lines of a shop intentionally selling a product that does NOT meet the consumers needs just to make a sale.

filking762

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

lol started something now haven't I....

Changed to morals (as corrected above, It was late when I thought about this post)

As an atheist (nice name), giving free advice/knowledge isn't a requirement of a job/sales person, but it should be. You go into a shop and ASK for advice on best purchase.

I, personally, would not sell a product to someone, knowing a new one was just round the corner.... Just because I am nice...
If the customer trusts me, they would come back in 2 weeks, and purchase a newer model. I still get a sale...

I would be happier, and the customer would be... All round happiness....

Most big stores won't miss out if the have a few old stock lying around...

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

lol started something now haven't I....

Changed to morals (as corrected above, It was late when I thought about this post)

As an atheist (nice name), giving free advice/knowledge isn't a requirement of a job/sales person, but it should be. You go into a shop and ASK for advice on best purchase.

I, personally, would not sell a product to someone, knowing a new one was just round the corner.... Just because I am nice...
If the customer trusts me, they would come back in 2 weeks, and purchase a newer model. I still get a sale...

I would be happier, and the customer would be... All round happiness....

Most big stores won't miss out if the have a few old stock lying around...

Again if you the customer asks questions and the salesman lies to make a sale: That's morally wrong in my eyes and if there were a way to prove it (recording) I am sure that company could be sued for fraudulent marketing.
Selling an older generation product isn't wrong or unethical.
You'd be surprised how many consumers will simply buy another tablet or go to another place, and buy something else instead of wait 2 weeks for THAT particular Nexus 7 tablet.

Lastly yes the big store will miss out having old stock lying around. Not selling is always trouble for companies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084