Anyone naked?

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I always put a screen protector & case on my phones, but I'm going naked w/my N7. I just put it in a cloth pouch if I put it in my backpack or computer bag. Any other nudists out there? :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I always put a screen protector & case on my phones, but I'm going naked w/my N7. I just put it in a cloth pouch if I put it in my backpack or computer bag. Any other nudists out there? :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I used my N7 without a screen protector when I first got it because there were none available yet.
I hated it because the screen felt too slick and made long presses and drag 'n drop almost impossible.
I now have a SGP film and it adds the perfect amount of friction for better touch control.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I like the smoothness and responsiveness of a naked screen. the lightest little tap and my touch is recognized. I have no slippage problems, if you do you're probably pushing too hard or have some really greasy fingers.

unless you wash your hands thoroughly before using the device, your fingers will be smudgingly greasy no matter what. when your hands are entirely clean, there will be quite a bit of friction on the screen because your skin won't have all that grease to glide through. obviously, grease reduces friction tremendously in all things. it's all about good tablet hygiene. I never use my tablet without washing my hands first. there's also another practical reason for it: to keep from scratching your screen. you'll eventually get some pretty hard particles trapped between your fingerprints and sticking to your skin in general.....keep that up and you'll eventually scratch your screen slowly but surely as time goes on it will build up to the point where the scratches become visible. another issue is greasy screens can also allow rough particles to more easily glide between your fingers and the screen, making it really easy to make large swiping scratches. put some WD40 on two of the same knives, and the one with the WD40 will cut into anything much more easily. the oil on your fingers acts the same way.

number 1 tablet rule: clean your dirty hands.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I never use screen protectors on my mobile devices because they detract from the touch experience and dim the screen. On my iPads and iPhone I do use cases to protect the body. And the iPad cases protect the screen as well.

I took my new Nexus 7 out the other day for the first time. They haven't started selling cases here, so I just stuck it in the little plastic pouch it was in inside the box and put it in my backpack and it was fine. I will buy a case for it when they become available here though.

doug

Marck527

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it needs a case TbH, doesn't seem like the back is gonna scratch. I tried to put a screen protector but didn't like it so 100 percent t naked right now

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Totally naked exactly the way it was designed to be used. There is no way I'll junk up this gorgeous device with screen protectors and cases.

When I'm not using, I slide it in to a Case Logic LAPST107 black sleeve.

Nexus 7 (2013)

Last edited:

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I am usually a case and screen protector type guy but this one I am running naked and when I take it on the go I drop it into a sleeve. So nice in its natural form factor and hey doesn't it have gorillas glass...

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a screen protector, but I do have a TPU case on it just to protect it from bumps and bangs...adds very little bulk but yet gives me some piece of mind.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Anyone not using a case is taking a chance. The Nexus 7 is known to be pretty unforgiving of drops. Even dropping it in your house can send you tablet to bit heaven. Check out this test, Google Nexus 7 Drop Test! (2013 / 2nd Generation) - YouTube

Also, Gorilla glass is scratch resistant (not shatterproof).

I covered this in detail before. cases do NOT lessen the forces of impact, it spreads them out so the pressure from a drop is evenly distributed. this only goes toward protecting the screen and only if you were to, for example, drop your tablet screen facing down onto jagged rocks. this means that same drop from the drop test video, would have still broken it even if it was inside of a case.

cases primarily protect screens from abrasion, not from falls.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a physicist, but cases absolutely can, and do, prevent damage from drops. You are not automatically going to get the same damage from a face plant, with or without a case. Like you said, the force is distributed differently, and generally that is going to result in less damage.

Posted via Android Central App

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
It's "necked" in the South, and yes- no case here. Slides right into a suit or sport jacket inside pocket easily. I would like more "grip" and ordered a poetic slim case for travel.

alnexus

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Never used a screen protector and have had my nexus 7 (2012) for almost a year now and it's still in mint condition.
Tech is mostly in the garbage after a few years anyways.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I got a case for both of my Nexus 7's. No screen protector. Oddly enough I ran screen protector on my phone but no case til about a month ago. Thats very different though since it goes in my pocket alot.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Going to get a slip case for mine. I don't think it'll need a case. I've never used a screen protector. I got a tpu case for my phone because it's incredibly slippery, the N7 isn't.

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I covered this in detail before. cases do NOT lessen the forces of impact, it spreads them out so the pressure from a drop is evenly distributed. this only goes toward protecting the screen and only if you were to, for example, drop your tablet screen facing down onto jagged rocks. this means that same drop from the drop test video, would have still broken it even if it was inside of a case.

cases primarily protect screens from abrasion, not from falls.

As you point out the case spreads out the impulse force from the impact. That decrease the magnitude of the impulse force at any point on the screen. Further, any padding in the case decreases the impulse force by deforming. The net result is that at a point on the screen sees less force and is less likely to be deform beyond it's elastic limits and fracture.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze