nexus 7 gps with google maps navigation

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Is it even possible to use Google maps navigation on the nexus 7? It seems that you need a constant internet connection. (WiFi)

If you download the maps for offline use you can use it to pinpoint your location but you need wifi to get the initial routing directions. From what I've experienced, the navigation app will reroute without wifi if you have offline maps but if you happen to lose gps signal while navigating you will need to use wifi to get the route again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
That is false, if you need to be rerouted, you need an internet connection. You can get the initial route and use it without internet though if you have cached the map.

You should look into copilot or sygic for 100% offline navigation and maps.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you'll need an internet connection when you initiate the routing (and for rerouting). It's also possible to store maps for offline use, but I still think you'll need an internet connection for routing.

You could get a standalone GPS or do what I do and use a hotspot (I'll use either my Jetpack from Verizon or my Galaxy S3's hotspot feature). I'd actually like to rig it up into the dashboard of my car, but I'll probably never get around to that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci