New 2 Android - GPS/Google Maps WiFi/LTE question

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, I am thinking of getting the Nexus 7. I did read one of the below questions about GPS and google maps, this is a follow on.
I do a lot of weekend get away's and prefer to use google maps. I was thinking of getting the LTE version so I can update Maps and GPS location
as I drive around. However, the comments below said I would need a WiFi spot to setup routing before I go. Google maps cannot route,
reroute my location if using LTE then? Should I not bother with the LTE and get the WiFi and use my phone as a hotspot? I will download
the map for offline use, such as download Virginia.

I was hoping to just use the Nexus driving around, route different destinations on the fly, use satellite view....etc

recommendations?

bacalao

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
You need a data connection in addition to gps to navigate. So a nexus with data (LTE) you will be good to go. Otherwise with the wifi-only version you would need to tether or pre-load the map area and destination.

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I was going to add the LTE to my AT&T plan. I just wanted to make sure that google maps will work fine using LTE, update, reroute, download maps and
not require WiFi.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
It will work fine as long as you have a LTE or 4G connection. It will not drop down to a 3G connection if you go out of a LTE/4G area.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
It will work fine as long as you have a LTE or 4G connection. It will not drop down to a 3G connection if you go out of a LTE/4G area.

I definitely have not researched the LTE version, but are you sure it only does the LTE bands, and not the 3g bands? Sounds weird, but I'll certainly defer to those who know more about the N7 LTE.

Posted via Android Central App

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
just found this on the verge.

"Update: We've learned from Google that 3G service will work through HSPA on AT&T and T-Mobile. Verizon users will be left out, however, as a CDMA radio isn't included ? only an LTE one. That shouldn't be a huge issue for Verizon users though, as the carrier now has LTE coverage in over 500 markets."

Nexus 7 with LTE can work on AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile | The Verge

so if that is the case, then my 3g AT&T plan will work. Looking forward to trying it out once it gets here :)

thanks

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I have tethered my Verizon 3g phone to my 2012 N7 and Google Maps update and works perfectly....Maybe I'm misunderstanding the not working with 3g comment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

"Update: We've learned from Google that 3G service will work through HSPA on AT&T and T-Mobile. Verizon users will be left out, however, as a CDMA radio isn't included ? only an LTE one. That shouldn't be a huge issue for Verizon users though, as the carrier now has LTE coverage in over 500 markets."

so if that is the case, then my 3g AT&T plan will work. Looking forward to trying it out once it gets here :)

thanks

I only have the wifi version (obviously) but I love it. I can't put it down. I get bummed when I can't think of something else to do with it cause it's just so nice.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

thanks

That is correct. You did not mention your carrier and I should have clarified. Verizon LTE phones have a SIM card slot only for the LTE signal. Since there is no CDMA radio LTE is all you will get on Verizon. Since the Nexus 7 will have a GSM radio it will get 3G signals.

- - - Updated - - -

I have tethered my Verizon 3g phone to my 2012 N7 and Google Maps update and works perfectly....Maybe I'm misunderstanding the not working with 3g comment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

The poster is talking about using the LTE Nexus 7 when it comes out, not tethering to another phone. In your case it works fine.

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
thank Pat, that is what I was talking about. Adding it to my AT&T plan, but now wondering if the wifi hotspot from my phone would work just as good. That would save me little money.

At least from reading here and reviews everyone is liking the Nexus. :)

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
thank Pat, that is what I was talking about. Adding it to my AT&T plan, but now wondering if the wifi hotspot from my phone would work just as good. That would save me little money.

At least from reading here and reviews everyone is liking the Nexus. :)

I use wifi hot-spot via my Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile when I'm not home and want my N7 connected. I'm too cheap to want to pay for a separate plan since I don't need it that much. I always have my phone on me, when I'm out, so it works great. Now, if I was dependent on a connection on the N7 for my livelihood, I'd probably have waited for the LTE version and spring for a separate plan.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
IMO, paying for a data plan for your tablet is a waste of money if your phone has tethering abilities. On my Nexus 4, I have a widget and in one press I can start broadcasting a secure WiFi hotspot and my Nexus 7 will connect automatically like any other WiFi network.

For maps, here is some info:

• You DO need an internet connection to START navigation
  • You DO NOT need an internet connection after you start.
  • You DO need an internet connection if you go off route and it needs to recalculate.
  • You DO need to cache your maps before leaving. I cached all of my major city.
  • There ARE 100% offline alternatives to Google Maps. Check out Sygic or CoPilot. No internet connection required at all (after maps are downloaded of course).

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Several suggestions,
1) Using your phone as a hotspot works just as well as having LTE on the tablet and it's a lot cheaper.
2) If you want ot use your tablet as a GPS get Sygic. Sygic comes from Tom Tom, it works offline and it displays a lot more info than Google Maps. For example it shows the current speed limit and your speed, distance and time to the destination, basically all of the things you would expect from a top of the line GPS. I use it on my 2012 Nexus 7.
3) I have this window mount for my 2012 Nexus 7, it's really solid
Amazon.com: Arkon SM517 Windshield Mount for iPad Mini and 7-Inch Tablets: Computers & Accessories

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Add me to list of people that use their phone as a wifi hotspot. I am paying for the data already, so why not. Also the performance I get on Verizon through my Droid DNA's is great. I often see over 20 mbps on my nexus 7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz