I wonder how much of a battery drainer the live water wallpaper is...

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
They used to be a horrible battery drain a few years back. It's gotten much better lately. I wonder what impact the new OpenGL update would have with that?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
live wallpaper use to drain battery in old devices but it has gotten better.

Using wallpaper that comes with your device seems to have minimal to no battery drain at all.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Some live wallpapers are more battery intensive than others, as well. It all depends on the amount of animation, whether it runs in the background while the screen is off, and how much processing it has to do. The least battery intensive are those that are passive or static unless/until you interact with them. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though. Unless you notice abnormal battery drain after installing one, you likely won't be able to tell much of a difference.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Some live wallpapers are more battery intensive than others, as well. It all depends on the amount of animation, whether it runs in the background while the screen is off, and how much processing it has to do. The least battery intensive are those that are passive or static unless/until you interact with them. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though. Unless you notice abnormal battery drain after installing one, you likely won't be able to tell much of a difference.

After using that live water wallpaper for a few days my impression is there might be a slight extra power drain, but nothing to worry about.

doug

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I take for granted that live wallpaper on your Amoled screen is like having a video running constantly in the background. Especially if the live wallpaper has bright colors. I haven't really experimented much with live wallpapers and battery drain. Just putting 2+2 together. Personally, it's very annoying to have things move around while I'm trying to find an app.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I take for granted that live wallpaper on your Amoled screen is like having a video running constantly in the background. Especially if the live wallpaper has bright colors. I haven't really experimented much with live wallpapers and battery drain. Just putting 2+2 together. Personally, it's very annoying to have things move around while I'm trying to find an app.

Nothing like a regular video running. As to things moving around while you search for an app, the live wallpaper only runs on your home screen. It does not run in the app drawer.

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I have tried live wallpapers but after a while they get old. While some dont drain much battery, I like to tweak my devices to use minimal resouces. Currently I am using a pure black wallpaper. Very boring. I tend to do that no matter what. Even on very powerful Windows machines I will change the theme to classic, disable animations, stock start menu etc. When I game or do something that is hardware intensive, I want all my resources to be dedicated to it. I know I am a weirdo about it though.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Nothing like a regular video running. As to things moving around while you search for an app, the live wallpaper only runs on your home screen. It does not run in the app drawer.

Tell us.......What is the difference between a live wallpaper and a video running in the background? I'd like to know.

If you keep apps on your home screen, you do see your live wallpaper. And on many phones you can have live wallpaper in the app drawer.

tg2708

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Unrelated but I haven't used my nexus 7 in awhile and found it dead which is said to be bad for the battery. Should I be worried because I think a battery cycle or 2 has been used which diminishes it's capacity?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Tell us.......What is the difference between a live wallpaper and a video running in the background? I'd like to know.

If you keep apps on your home screen, you do see your live wallpaper. And on many phones you can have live wallpaper in the app drawer.

A live wallpaper is just a short and very data minimal loop running in memory. It does not tax the cpu or continually load as does a video, it just sits in memory. It also only runs while you are looking at it.

Yes, after I typed that response I realized that some people have app shortcuts all over their home screens. I have practically none on mine.

Standard live wallpapers on a stock Android phone do not run in the app drawer. If you have examples of ones that do (or phones) please advise. I'm curious now.

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Unrelated but I haven't used my nexus 7 in awhile and found it dead which is said to be bad for the battery. Should I be worried because I think a battery cycle or 2 has been used which diminishes it's capacity?

I doubt that one full cycle will do anything you'll notice, just don't make a habit of it.