GPS Navigation and app discussions.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Now that the GPS issue has been resolved, I have been happy with finding a new app to use instead of Google Maps/Navigation.

I really like the Waze app quite a lot. I saved my home/work....and several destinations I drive to often as "Favorites". I started my route out just before leaving my home and wifi signal. The route was set with all the reports and indicators showing up like, traffic flow problems, cards dead on the side of the road, police on the road and such.

Starting out driving as I left my neighborhood, I turned off my wifi and just continued on with the Waze app working perfectly. Took a turn off the route and went a different way than the route showed. It quickly rerouted to the destination from where I was, but also there are no voice prompts with Waze it seems. Google maps/navigation will voice prompt when you set a route on wifi signal, but if you get off route it will do a horrible job rerouting back to destination. I laughed as it told me to turn around and shows a reroute outline that did large circles and totally illogical calculations of getting back on route. In general Google Maps/Navigation did a terrible job at routing best routes in setting up with wifi connected. It sees all the roads....just doesn't seem to use all of them for routing. I think the google maps have gotten worse and need a lot of attention now....just as many others think so too.

Other things I like about Waze..... When I restarted my route after I arrived at the destination and did not use wifi or any data source, I got back in my car and started the app back up and told it to navigate back home. It routed and was ready to go, but just without the reports and such. It still routes and reroutes without a data connection. I am wondering how it does this .....does it cache mapping data automatically and save it?

The "follow me" aspect of using Waze is really good as well. When you use the 3D view, it works pretty good with landscape view. 2D works well with Portrait view.

I can see the streets and names when I zoom in and out to various degrees easily. Google Maps cached maps would not do this well at all....zooming way in usually lead to distortions of the roads and screen in general.

I can sure see Waze as my go to GPS navigation app now! I really like it and if you have not tried it....it may soon become your fav as well.

:cool:

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You do know that Google bought Waze and is slowly integrating some of it into Google Maps... right?

Yes I know that......but I am speaking from actually using what is available now. Google Map/Navigation app on the Nexus 7 just plain sucks for navigation purposes.

But, I guess it remains to be seen if they integrate both these apps into one? Not sure....I just like the UI and UX of the Waze app as it sits right now. Unless Google totally redesigns the current Maps/Navigation app.....it is crap for in car use as a navigation device. It was actually much better prior to the last update on my old N7, though Waze seems to be the best navigation app I have tried out of many now. I do not use any of the social integrations of Waze, but the ability to function as a navigation app is very good and easy to use.....with great results even without wifi or a data tether

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Now that I think about this Google buying of Waze......man I sure hope it does not go the same way as when Microsoft bought Skype......

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You do know that Google bought Waze and is slowly integrating some of it into Google Maps... right?

I read that they are keeping the apps and the development teams separate.
I guess they won't be using the Waze app in the Middle East anytime soon!

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how the Mapquest nav app works?
Does it work for locations and rerouting without WiFi?
Does it download maps to my N7?

I would look at the Playstore reviews, but they can't be sorted by device or rating anymore.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
try NavFree as well...doesn't require a network connection because it downloads maps locally, but it doesn't have live traffic updates like Waze (obviously)...

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I personally prefer Google Maps and I just tether my phone in my car.

However, I also keep an offline navigation app up to date and readily available in case I don't have signal or a data connection. I use Sygic, which works really well. Here are some pros and cons comparing the two.

Pros -
  • 100% offline, including navigation, POIs, etc
  • Additional information while driving (ie, speed)
  • Free map updates for life (this is a pro compared to other apps, not Google Maps)

Cons -
  • Not nearly as integrated as Google Maps. ie, integrated with addresses clicked from contacts, web pages, hangouts, Google Now cards, emails, etc. Maps goes right to the address while it doesn't do that in Sygic
  • Searching for an address "just works" in Maps. In Sygic, you have to follow a wizard like format and the address has to be exact
  • Text to speach is not nearly as good in Sygic
  • Looking ahead at your route is much easier in Maps. It is kind of a pain in Sygic.
  • Maps is much smoother when panning around the map than Sygic. Better experience overall in Maps.
  • Not free like Maps. I paid $16 as a one time fee.

When I have a data connection available through tethering, I will use Maps 100% of the time, but having an offline app is nice.