Is Nexus 7 a good choice to watch movies in bed?

Valtheus

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys!

The new Nexus 7 looks awesome but i do have some concerns. Currently i am an iPad 1st generation user, and in the market for a new, smaller, lighter tablet. My main use for the tablet is streaming and watching movies and tv shows late at night in my bed. Now while Nexus 7 seems to solve my weight and size problems holding the tablet in bed (which i have being experiencing for years with 1st gen. iPad), it makes me wonder how well it works in movies and tv shows.

That being said, i am worried wether the screen size is way too small for that purpose. I am used in 10" screen playback and like the size. With 10" you can watch easily most of the movies in 2.35:1 format (you know, those with the black bars up and down). While i am sure it will perform nicely with full screen tv shows, i am worried about how small the size of the screen will be with movies in 2.35:1 format.

So what do you guys think? Any experience on that matter would be highly appreciated. Oh and i can't see the new Nexus 7 2nd gen. in person cause its not available in my country yet. I was thinking to get it from Amazon. Thanx! :)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I went from an iPad 2 to a Nexus 7 (2013). The screen is a bit smaller (duh) but the resolution and clarity blows the iPad away. Probably wouldn't be as noticeable of a difference if you were coming from a new iPad (with better resolution) but come from a first gen you'll be impressed with it, I'm sure. It took me a few days to adjust to the smaller screen for watching videos, but now I don't notice. It's like anything else...what your'e used to.

But if screen size is an issue, the new Nexus 10 should be announced soon (supposedly in time for the holiday season), so it might be worth waiting for that. Everyone's preference is going to vary, but I like the Nexus 7. The smaller screen size is more than offset by the light weight and resolution. And I have found it more comfortable than the iPad 2 to hold in long-stretches while lying in bed (mostly reading, but watching videos as well)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
i have a Nexus 10 and bought it for the screen size but now i think N7 is perfect for my watching movies.
holding a 7 inch device is much better than a 10 inch device.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The New Nexus 7 is excellent for watching movies. The screen is bright clear and the resolution is amazing. Also, it is light so watching a movie in bed flat on your back is much easier on your arms. Finally, it is light enough that if you fall asleep watching the movie it does not hurt too much when it lands on your face or chest.:)

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
It is much more comfortable in general to lie in bed with a 7-incher than a 10-incher. And in landscape orientation, the wide bezels of the Nexus 7 make it very comfortable to hold in your hands. Should be perfect for movie watching in bed!

Klotera

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Since the iPad is 4:3 and the Nexus 7 is 16:10,it is actually closer in ratio to Widescreen movies. You'll have less black bar than on the iPad. While it is a smaller screen, due to the aspect ratio, the difference in size is lessened.

Posted via Android Central App

ZephyrsDream

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I've watched many Netflix and locally stored movies on my Nexus 7 and the form factor and screen size are great for it. And as others have said, the screen is what makes this tablet.

Sent from my awesome Sprint Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
To add to everyone's comments, don't forget the dual speakers. It gives a much more rich sound when watching movies and makes it that much more enjoyable.

Valtheus

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all very much for your answers!

Yeah the weight has been an issue with the 1st gen. iPad while laying in bed, since the beginning. Sometimes i do get carried away and watch a whole movie for more than 2 hours before i fall asleep, and it does get really uncomfortable to hold it. Thats why i was looking at the 7" Nexus. All of your points sound valid to me.

@ EvilMonkey: I was expecting a new nexus 10 from google this year, since the 7" model got updated, which i am sure it will be lighter and thinner. Still i am not sure if it will be comfortable enough for bed. Yes the screen size is ideal but from what you guys are saying, the 7" will do the trick as well, without much compromise.

scottocs99

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
It's amazing to watch movies. The 2012 Nexus 7 had horrible volume through headphones, and decent sound without, but the 2013 Nexus 7 sounds amazing, looks amazing. Just awesome. I've never had a 10" tablet, I've gone from the original Kindle Fire, to the 2012 Nexus 7, to the 2013 Nexus 7. I enjoyed watching movies on all 3, but the 2013 Nexus 7 is great for movies and tv shows, love it.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Having used both a 10" and now a 7" tablet for watching movies in bed, I definitely prefer using the smaller tablet. It is more comfortable for long periods of relaxed viewing.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The N7 is definitely perfect for bedtime movies, tv etc. the ipad is too heavy and clunky to sit, say, on your chest or stomach. The n7 is light, the screen is bright. I watch it in bed all the time and with headphones the surround sound is incredible.

Valtheus

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling you're not really watching "TV shows" in bed are you...

Cartoons right? :)

I am sorry to disappoint you but i am actually watching normal tv shows and movies in my bed before i fall asleep. Unless Falling Skies, Game of Thrones, Hell on Wheels etc. and similar shows are considered "cartoons".

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
while the nexus 7 has a great quality screen for watching 'cartoons', I don't think tablets are functionally all that great for watching them on for various reasons.

but the n7 is definitely good for watching moving in bed.....even if you have to hold it, it's typically not very straining to hold for long periods...or you don't even have to hold it at all.

Valtheus

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your input!

I got convinced that Nexus 7 will do the job, so i ordered the 32GB model from Amazon, and i am really happy i won't be giving much more money to another Apple product anymore. This will be my second android device, after dropping iPhones for the amazing Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. I have been an iOS user since the beginning and i must say that i consider android much more advanced at this point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek