Nexus 7 ('13) vs iPad mini

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have an N4, S4, iPad 2 and MacBook so I'm not biased. Looking for a smaller tablet mostly to use as a sales presentation, watch Netflix and read magazines/books. I like the mini, and used only the older N7.

Anybody with both that could make a recommendation?

S4 via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If you are a fan of Apple products or the iPad in general, I would hold off until they announce the new iPad mini if you can. As it is, the only reason to buy the current iPad Mini over the new Nexus 7 is if you are just that locked into the Apple ecosystem, or are convinced it's that much better quality. The specs on the old Nexus 7 were in many ways better than the current iPad Mini, and the new Nexus 7 specs are far, far better. It's an excellent device.

carbon fibre

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you aren't starved for hardware so I second the advice to wait and see if a Retina iPad mini is coming this fall. If you don't want to wait, go for the new Nexus 7. The performance and especially the display is fantastic. I was all ios, including a retina iPad until a few weeks ago when I got the Nexus 7. Very pleased with the purchase and use it more than the retina iPad.

WestOkid

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Netflix and movies - N7 - both are good now that n7 colors are calibrated. However proper aspect ratio and higher resolution make n7 the better choice.

Books - N7 - this isn't even close. the form factor of the n7 is better suited for reading and the extremely high resolution makes text easy on the eyes.

Presentation - iPad mini - The extra screen real estate on the mini and the 4:3 aspect ratio just works better. plus the apple eco-system has far more support for presentation. You have tons of apps and you have airplay for sending sound and video to bigger devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yup, comes down to ecosystem preference. Agree w/waiting on the new mini if going that way. Really only replying so I could post this pic :)
2avequ9e.jpg

How about the Acer Ionia W3? (not kidding)

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Ecosystem preference all the way. There's a lot of things iOS 7 doesn't do that I consider essential so even if the iPad mini 2 has better hardware I won't be interested. This is one of my favorite articles on this subject

http://m.pocketnow.com/2013/03/27/ios-7-compete-android

Article has some valid points. Those are some of the reasons why I don't use my iPad much anymore. I like the apps for iOS, but the way I'm limited within the sharing of files and no file manager is a major let down.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I use my iPad 3 for sit down presentations. I want an N7 for standing marketing presentations at events.

Chillidog66

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus kills the ipad mini in speed and resolution. But honestly you should wait because if the new iPad mini has retina display you might want that. But currently Nexus 7 hands down.
Sent from my Galaxy s3 using Android Central Forums

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I have both. Let me first say I am no fanboy. I hate fanboys. I go with what works. Right now Android works for me but if Apple or someone else for that matter comes out with something better, I am jumping ship.

I got the iPad Mini because of portability. Although I do have an iPad 2 and it worked great, it was not as portable as I liked it to be. If I am carrying it in my hand along with other stuff, I could easily see myself possibly dropping it. Not to mention, it became a hassle to carry. I ended up getting the iPad Mini so that I could have true portability. Hardware wise, it was very similar to the iPad 2. I really liked the size of the Mini as if felt comfortable in my hand and that I could hold it with one only. It is very light, it has a thin bezel and can handle almost anything you throw at it. The battery life was exceptional. The sound was okay . It also had the benefit of all the apps out there without a need for porting. I took this thing everywhere I went. I also loved there were so many choices out there as far as cases, mounting solutions and accessories. However, at one point, I wanted to start reading more and purchased a Kindle Fire HD. Mostly because of eBooks and ease of use although you could do the same with the Kindle for iPad. What I hated about the iPad Mini was that it did not have a nice display. The Kindle Fire HD had a much better display although it cost considerably less than the iPad Mini. The sound of the Kindle Fire HD was also superior (I am not a audiophile so others may disagree with me). Although I really loved the iPad Mini, there were a few things and customizations that I wanted to do that were just not available to me. It also never really felt like it was my own. In order to get any customization out of it, I needed to jailbreak it.

I then start reading about the Nexus 7. It was exactly what I wanted and best of all I could make it my own. Sure, some things were lacking like an equal number of apps as well as the quality of the camera and lack of ease of use with the Apple ecosystem. That however was not important enough for me to hold be back. I purchased the Nexus and fell in love with it. It is much snappier, has a better display, super customizable and very easy to root. It also has an awesome battery life and I can hold it even easier and more securely in one hand. Although there aren?t as many apps as the iPad, the apps can do so much. They truly allow you to make it your own. All the stuff that I wished iPad Apps could do can be done with Nexus 7. Occasionally I find myself using the Mini but mostly for nostalgia. Same as I do with the Kindle Fire HD. I just love the Nexus 7 much more than all the other tablets. You have Qi Wireless Charging, NFC Support, Great Hardware, perfect size. Anything the iPad Mini can do, it does it better (except for what I referenced above). Just wished they had more accessories, mounting solutions and variety from vendors the way the iPad Mini does.

My two cents. Sorry for the long response.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the advice. I'm not in a rush so I'll take you guys up on your recommendation and wait for the new mini before making a decision ... I think I'll be happy with either device so it will most likely come down to which can make the better presentation.

thanks!

S4 via Android Central App

hausjam

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I have both also. The nexus 7 is just a little too cramped. The iPad mini is the perfect size. And android apps just aren't as good on a tablet. They feel like enlarged phone apps.

If the apps do improve and I am sure they will eventually, i could see maybe getting a galaxy 8" for nothing other than you can use a mouse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I have both also. The nexus 7 is just a little too cramped. The iPad mini is the perfect size. And android apps just aren't as good on a tablet. They feel like enlarged phone apps.

If the apps do improve and I am sure they will eventually, i could see maybe getting a galaxy 8" for nothing other than you can use a mouse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
All a matter of opinion I guess. I have the Galaxy Note 8 which I ended up giving to the wife so I could justify getting the Nexus 7. I got the 8 because I thought it was the perfect size initially. I also liked the idea of the stylus. The Nexus is just perfect for me because of the size, weight and portability. Not to mention you can easily palm it unlike the Galaxy 8 and Mini. Not that I would want to, but you can easily put it in your pocket if needed for a temporary holding place if you are carrying lots of stuff.