torn between the new Nexus 7 and Galaxy Tab 2

doublestack1

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Which device is recommended: Nexus 7 (2013) or the Galaxy Tab 2 through Vzw?

Currently have an iPad 3 but would like a smaller tablet for reading, nav, email, etc. LTE is not a necessity since I can hot spot my S4 easily.

Just wondering what the community thinks of both devices. Thanks

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Which device is recommended: Nexus 7 (2013) or the Galaxy Tab 2 through Vzw?

Currently have an iPad 3 but would like a smaller tablet for reading, nav, email, etc. LTE is not a necessity since I can hot spot my S4 easily.

Just wondering what the community thinks of both devices. Thanks

Galaxy Tab 2 is yuck.

swimmaholic

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7. No matter what. Its screen, speakers, and price cannot be beat at this time.

Posted via my HTC One or S4 using the Android Central App

thecure13

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I've never tried the Galaxy Tab 2 but oh man is Nexus 7 amazing. I too had an Ipad and making the switch was the best thing did! Can't complain. Awesome Tablet with an amazing price.

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Hehehe of course most people here will say Nexus. I am saying that too BTW. This is a Nexus 7 forum. Go to the Galaxy Tab 2 forum and see what they say.

I have a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Note 8 as well as iPad Mini and Kindle Fire HD. The Nexus 7 is by far the best in my opinion. The only close match would be the Note 8 and even then it isinferrior except for the expandable memory and stylus. The iPad Mini however works great for someone used to the Apple ecosystem and the form factor is also very nice. Not to mention ease of use. Some people will get overwhelmed when they have too many choices and options the way they do on Android.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hehehe of course most people here will say Nexus. I am saying that too BTW. This is a Nexus 7 forum. Go to the Galaxy Tab 2 forum and see what they say.

If they say otherwise they are probably delusional. The Tab 2 can not compete on specs, performance, camera, etc. The only advantage the Tab 2 has is the SD slot.

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
If they say otherwise they are probably delusional. The Tab 2 can not compete on specs, performance, camera, etc. The only advantage the Tab 2 has is the SD slot.

Not everyone?s needs are the same. For someone, the SD expandability may be a deal breaker and for others like us, it is not. In addition, ignoring hardware, there are other things to consider. For example, some people will dislike the giant bezel at top and bottom of the Nexus7 while others find it is perfect for holding. Some may not like the vanilla Android experience and prefer TouchWiz. Someone with other Samsung products may also like that they all place nicely with the Tab. How about someone wanting a physical home button? The placement of the volume rocker and power button on the Nexus 7. Just because the Nexus 7 works best for us, it does not meet it will be the best choice for others.

I think that in order to make an informed decision, he needs to hear from both sides. Then take that information and determine what works best for him based on his needs. Just my opinion.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Not everyone?s needs are the same. For someone, the SD expandability may be a deal breaker and for others like us, it is not. In addition, ignoring hardware, there are other things to consider. For example, some people will dislike the giant bezel at top and bottom of the Nexus7 while others find it is perfect for holding. Some may not like the vanilla Android experience and prefer TouchWiz. Someone with other Samsung products may also like that they all place nicely with the Tab. How about someone wanting a physical home button? The placement of the volume rocker and power button on the Nexus 7. Just because the Nexus 7 works best for us, it does not meet it will be the best choice for others.

I think that in order to make an informed decision, he needs to hear from both sides. Then take that information and determine what works best for him based on his needs. Just my opinion.

These would be very valid points if the op ask about form and button placement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
These would be very valid points if the op ask about form and button placement.

They actually are valid points either way. He asked what everyone's thoughts were on both devices. This leaves the discussion open and just like your "Galaxy Tab 2 is yuck!" is a valid point, so are mine.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
They actually are valid points either way. He asked what everyone's thoughts were on both devices. This leaves the discussion open and just like your "Galaxy Tab 2 is yuck!" is a valid point, so are mine.

No you are just looking for validation.

doublestack1

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Appreciate the replies. I ordered a Nexus 7 from Best Buy and will pick it up in the morning. After reading a number of posts and reviews, all of you hit every point, the N7 beats the Samsung device in every category (except expandable memory).

I own two Samsung devices; S4 and Note 2 in addition to the iPad3. Although I do like the physical home button, I can get used to the alternative. My S4 is laggy most likely due to TouchWiz and VZW bloatware. The Note2 is faster for some reason; although I suspect it is because I only use it as a secondary device (hot spot, nav in rental cars, when my S4 battery dies, etc). I am hoping to use the N7 as a replacement for the Note2 so I still only travel with three devices rather than 4. Cannot give up the iPad just yet as I use it for presentations (love Keynote), NY Post daily paper and other stuff like Zombie Gunship (critical for long flights). I will eventually dump the S4 for a Droid Maxx as well since the S4 voice quality is sub-par in my opinion. I do love the split screen multitask but find I rarely use it.

Thanks again. Pete

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
You are gonna be blown away by the screen. It is the most beautiful thing about the Nexus 7 (2013). I keep annoying my wife by forcing her to keep looking at it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

doublestack1

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
One more dumb question. Will my S4 android apps work on the N7? I use Business Calendar, a ton of finance / banking apps, Nova Launcher Prime, a couple of office apps, etc. Thanks

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they should. I have an S4 and installed all the same apps, including purchased ones on my Nexus 7. Some apps may not though because the OS is newer on the Nexus 7. For example, HBO Go. Others may not have developed a tablet specific version but the phone one will still work. Are you asking more if they will be synced?

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
The only reason why some apps may not work is because the developer hasn't made a fix for 4.3, but that's it. Tablet apps are tablet apps. The only advantage from tab 2 to n7 is expandable storage. The tab 2 does NOT have a physical button, that is the tab 3. The Samsung uses a Samsung charger with unique pins, NOT micro USB. The Tab has a built in IR with Samsung preloaded apps. Those would be the only advantages. Other than that, the tab series only can have up to 16GB internal, while the n7 can have 16 or 32GB.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63