Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default torn between the new Nexus 7 and Galaxy Tab 2

Which device is recommended: Nexus 7 (2013) or the Galaxy Tab 2 through Vzw?

Currently have an iPad 3 but would like a smaller tablet for reading, nav, email, etc. LTE is not a necessity since I can hot spot my S4 easily.

Just wondering what the community thinks of both devices. Thanks

Default Re: torn between the new Nexus 7 and Galaxy Tab 2

Quote Originally Posted by doublestack1 View Post
    Which device is recommended: Nexus 7 (2013) or the Galaxy Tab 2 through Vzw?

Currently have an iPad 3 but would like a smaller tablet for reading, nav, email, etc. LTE is not a necessity since I can hot spot my S4 easily.

Just wondering what the community thinks of both devices. Thanks
    Galaxy Tab 2 is yuck.

Nexus 7. No matter what. Its screen, speakers, and price cannot be beat at this time.

Posted via my HTC One or S4 using the Android Central App

there is noting in Galaxy Tab 2 which is superior to Nexus 7 2013.

simple as that!! Galaxy Tab 2 is already abandoned by Samsung

What everyone else said. Nexus 7 is better in every way.
    HTC One of the Red variety
    Nexus 7 2013
    Droid DNA
    Droid Incredible (MP3 Player)

I've never tried the Galaxy Tab 2 but oh man is Nexus 7 amazing. I too had an Ipad and making the switch was the best thing did! Can't complain. Awesome Tablet with an amazing price.

Hehehe of course most people here will say Nexus. I am saying that too BTW. This is a Nexus 7 forum. Go to the Galaxy Tab 2 forum and see what they say.

I have a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Note 8 as well as iPad Mini and Kindle Fire HD. The Nexus 7 is by far the best in my opinion. The only close match would be the Note 8 and even then it isinferrior except for the expandable memory and stylus. The iPad Mini however works great for someone used to the Apple ecosystem and the form factor is also very nice. Not to mention ease of use. Some people will get overwhelmed when they have too many choices and options the way they do on Android.

Quote Originally Posted by harryhoudini66 View Post
    Hehehe of course most people here will say Nexus. I am saying that too BTW. This is a Nexus 7 forum. Go to the Galaxy Tab 2 forum and see what they say.
    If they say otherwise they are probably delusional. The Tab 2 can not compete on specs, performance, camera, etc. The only advantage the Tab 2 has is the SD slot.

+1 on the Nexus, no comparison to the Tab 2. Software updates alone are enough to swing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    If they say otherwise they are probably delusional. The Tab 2 can not compete on specs, performance, camera, etc. The only advantage the Tab 2 has is the SD slot.
    Not everyones needs are the same. For someone, the SD expandability may be a deal breaker and for others like us, it is not. In addition, ignoring hardware, there are other things to consider. For example, some people will dislike the giant bezel at top and bottom of the Nexus7 while others find it is perfect for holding. Some may not like the vanilla Android experience and prefer TouchWiz. Someone with other Samsung products may also like that they all place nicely with the Tab. How about someone wanting a physical home button? The placement of the volume rocker and power button on the Nexus 7. Just because the Nexus 7 works best for us, it does not meet it will be the best choice for others.

I think that in order to make an informed decision, he needs to hear from both sides. Then take that information and determine what works best for him based on his needs. Just my opinion.

Not everyones needs are the same. For someone, the SD expandability may be a deal breaker and for others like us, it is not. In addition, ignoring hardware, there are other things to consider. For example, some people will dislike the giant bezel at top and bottom of the Nexus7 while others find it is perfect for holding. Some may not like the vanilla Android experience and prefer TouchWiz. Someone with other Samsung products may also like that they all place nicely with the Tab. How about someone wanting a physical home button? The placement of the volume rocker and power button on the Nexus 7. Just because the Nexus 7 works best for us, it does not meet it will be the best choice for others.

I think that in order to make an informed decision, he needs to hear from both sides. Then take that information and determine what works best for him based on his needs. Just my opinion.
    These would be very valid points if the op ask about form and button placement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

These would be very valid points if the op ask about form and button placement.

They actually are valid points either way. He asked what everyone's thoughts were on both devices. This leaves the discussion open and just like your "Galaxy Tab 2 is yuck!" is a valid point, so are mine.

torn, as in, torn a new one.

They actually are valid points either way. He asked what everyone's thoughts were on both devices. This leaves the discussion open and just like your "Galaxy Tab 2 is yuck!" is a valid point, so are mine.
    No you are just looking for validation.

No you are just looking for validation.

No you are just looking to argue.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Appreciate the replies. I ordered a Nexus 7 from Best Buy and will pick it up in the morning. After reading a number of posts and reviews, all of you hit every point, the N7 beats the Samsung device in every category (except expandable memory).

I own two Samsung devices; S4 and Note 2 in addition to the iPad3. Although I do like the physical home button, I can get used to the alternative. My S4 is laggy most likely due to TouchWiz and VZW bloatware. The Note2 is faster for some reason; although I suspect it is because I only use it as a secondary device (hot spot, nav in rental cars, when my S4 battery dies, etc). I am hoping to use the N7 as a replacement for the Note2 so I still only travel with three devices rather than 4. Cannot give up the iPad just yet as I use it for presentations (love Keynote), NY Post daily paper and other stuff like Zombie Gunship (critical for long flights). I will eventually dump the S4 for a Droid Maxx as well since the S4 voice quality is sub-par in my opinion. I do love the split screen multitask but find I rarely use it.

Thanks again. Pete

You are gonna be blown away by the screen. It is the most beautiful thing about the Nexus 7 (2013). I keep annoying my wife by forcing her to keep looking at it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

One more dumb question. Will my S4 android apps work on the N7? I use Business Calendar, a ton of finance / banking apps, Nova Launcher Prime, a couple of office apps, etc. Thanks

Yes, they should. I have an S4 and installed all the same apps, including purchased ones on my Nexus 7. Some apps may not though because the OS is newer on the Nexus 7. For example, HBO Go. Others may not have developed a tablet specific version but the phone one will still work. Are you asking more if they will be synced?

The only reason why some apps may not work is because the developer hasn't made a fix for 4.3, but that's it. Tablet apps are tablet apps. The only advantage from tab 2 to n7 is expandable storage. The tab 2 does NOT have a physical button, that is the tab 3. The Samsung uses a Samsung charger with unique pins, NOT micro USB. The Tab has a built in IR with Samsung preloaded apps. Those would be the only advantages. Other than that, the tab series only can have up to 16GB internal, while the n7 can have 16 or 32GB.
    Sprint: HTC Touch, HTC Hero, HTC Evo 3D, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
    Samsung Series 3 Chromebook
    2013 Nexus 7
    harryhoudini66 likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Yes, they should. I have an S4 and installed all the same apps, including purchased ones on my Nexus 7. Some apps may not though because the OS is newer on the Nexus 7. For example, HBO Go. Others may not have developed a tablet specific version but the phone one will still work. Are you asking more if they will be synced?
    Not worries about sync as I believe data will cross from phone to tab without issue. Was concerned about some of my frequently used apps not displaying correctly, etc. Trial and error I suppose.

I use Business Calendar on my Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 7. Exactly the same experience, except larger, and thus kinda nicer, on the Nexus 7.

Posted via Android Central App

One annoyance is that AmEx app doesn't work on Nexus 7.

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
    One annoyance is that AmEx app doesn't work on Nexus 7.

That is unfortunate. I use that app often. well I guess that is what Chrome or firefox is for

You will know quickly. Once you login to your Google account on the new device, it will be registered. When you view Google Play on your PC to download an app remotely, it will tell you if the app is compatible with the Nexus 7 or not. So far the only that has given me a problem was HBO Go.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast