Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TraderGary
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Problem making screenshots with Nexus 7 (2013)

I've been trying a lot to make a screenshot with my Nexus 7 (2013) running Android 4.3. I press the power button and the volume button together, but mostly nothing happens. At times, this results in my seeing the volume control, and at times, it results in my turning off the Nexus screen, but mostly I simply get no result at all. I've succeeded in making a screenshot twice in several weeks, having tried about 100 times. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I saw some messages from last year saying to be sure to use the power button and the volume down. However, it doesn't seem to matter whether I use volume up or volume down, nor does it seem to matter if I time things so that the power button gets pressed a slight bit before the volume down or the two buttons are pressed at exactly the same time. I simply get no result. Since I did succeed twice, I suspect that my Nexus is capable of making screenshots. Has anyone got any tips for a Nexus newbie who is tired of beating her head against the wall (that didn't work, either )?

Thanks in advance.

Try longer (long) presses with power and volume down. I just took 10 with long presses with no issue.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Problem making screenshots with Nexus 7 (2013)

I too had initial difficulties and frustration. I developed a technique that works for me. The first thing I do is lock the orientation. Then I put the left edge on a desk or table. Now I've got a firm stable consistent edge to work with. Now I find it considerably more consistent to be able to press both buttons at exactly the same time.

Nexus 7 (2013)
    Thanked by 2:
    alysariah likes this.

Maybe there is inconsistency amongst devices, but I am only able to do screen shots using long press.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Many thanks, FitzAus Tex and TraderGary. I'm astonished and delighted to report that your suggestion worked, FitzAus Tex. I'm not really aware of what I'm doing differently, but after reading your message, I succeeded three times out of four. That's more successful screenshots than I've managed in the whole month that I've had the Nexus! And Gary, I was heartened to learn that you, too, had difficulties and frustration at the start. I've saved your suggestion just in case I run into difficulty again.

Again, many thanks to both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
    Maybe there is inconsistency amongst devices, but I am only able to do screen shots using long press.

I agree! Yes, it does take a long press and wait to hear the camera "click".

Nexus 7 (2013)

Agreed. Especially if coming from iOS. My buddy just had the same issue on HTC one after switching from iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I too am coming from iOS - an ipod touch 3rd gen. it seems like there should be an easier way. this way is quite awkward.

Glad it helped. I should also have pointed out that it is best for the "saving screenshot..." notification to appear and disappear before taking another one.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
    Glad it helped. I should also have pointed out that it is best for the "saving screenshot..." notification to appear and disappear before taking another one.
    I'll keep this piece of advice in mind for the future. It wasn't a problem this time, since each time I made a successful screenshot, I had to pinch myself and do a little victory dance, which gave the Nexus plenty of time to save the screenshot before I took another one.

Just simultaneously press down the power button and volume down button and count to 2. You will hear the shutter sound and the screen will zoom in slightly to let you know a screenshot was taken. It takes 2 seconds to save and before you can take another.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by TraderGary View Post
    I too had initial difficulties and frustration. I developed a technique that works for me. The first thing I do is lock the orientation. Then I put the left edge on a desk or table. Now I've got a firm stable consistent edge to work with. Now I find it considerably more consistent to be able to press both buttons at exactly the same time.

Nexus 7 (2013)
    Thanks, I had same issue. Your suggestion did the trick.

I push the edge in to my soft and squishy belly as support.

I ran into the same thing and the trick, as others have pointed out, is to wait. The orientation of the two keys needed to make this work are undeniably awkward. But I can now do it with consistency.

doug

I have the same prob as described in post #1. I have tried dozens of times, and was only successful once. The access point to this switch is so narrow, its like trying to make a coin land on its edge. Please tell me there is a software patch for this. Photographing a mirror, then flipping the image is not the same somehow.

Agreed that it can be awkward at first to time pushing the power and volume down simultaneously, but the trick is to long press them. Once you practice the motion, you should have success. I find it virtually impossible to NOT get it to work 100% of the time once I learned how. Make sure to not let go of buttons until you hear the sound and/or see the visual flash/snapshot.

For the record...it finally worked. I have to secure it against the tabletop and carefully press n hold simultaneously with a time variance so minute that all the numbers after the decimal point don't fit on my calculator. Design defect big time, but you can get around it thanks to the poster above for the idea and everyone who replied.

It's definitely a hokey process Google has put together but it does work..when you learn the trick...finally. I struggled along time figuring out how to do screen shots with the Nexus 7 and even after locating the "correct" process (help forums, instructional videos, etc.) never did get the hang of it. Hey, try executing the screen shot process being left handed (lefties hold the Nexus in the right hand to touch the screen with the left...and Google puts both control buttons are on the right? Duh.) It certainly makes me wonder if Google had only one Nexus 7 ergonomics architect and that person was right handed? After all, there are 700,000,000 lefties in the world.

I noticed one commenter below said to first lock the screen rotation then set the Nexus on it's left site on a table to steady the device before pressing the buttons. A three handed process for screen shot? What the........? Ok, in fairness I did eventually get to where I could take a screen shot. But, I'm a believer Google knows there is a problem and minimizes the fact by simply making the screen shot process hard to find.

In retrospect, the screen shot instructions are generally correct but adding the following statement to the training manual would help those of us not in the "Google in crowd". "Press the tip end of the Lower Volume Button and Power Button at PRECISELY EXACTLY THE SAME TIME...then try again (hint: lefties might consider holding the device upside down) ."

you can always get a app to screenshot from the play store

Just Hold down the power and volume down button

Quote Originally Posted by TraderGary View Post

Nexus 7 (2013)
    Signed up for the expressed purpose of saying thanks.

I was having a devil of a time getting my legacy nexus 7 to take a screenie and while I didn't have to lock the orientation, stabilizing it on a table did the trick.

Thanks again.