Best Buy Didn't Want to Sell Me a Nexus!

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Granted, my employer does not have any specific customer, so in that vane, I am very lucky.

Having said that, I could understand your argument if (and here is the big thing) the BBY employee did his/her thing and then let me go. However time after time the BBY employees @ my store argue with me about my choices suggesting different models and I have to fight to make the purchase I (big key here, I) want to make.

A few months ago I was with a buddy who has a degree from MIT in computer engineering and stopped in because BBY was having a sale on a laptop he wanted. The employee started suggesting other models and when my buddy would not bite, the BBY employee started to make stuff up about the computer. When my buddy called him on it, the BBY employee asked how my buddy knew what he was saying was wrong as he (the BBY employee) received extensive training (I am guessing from BBY) . My buddy responded that he holds a Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering from MIT and knows a thing or two about computers as well and further more playing who knows more with the customer is very unprofessional.

We spoke with his manager who did not apologize nor really provide us with any satisfaction, he just rang up the desired laptop, made a snark comment saying, "I guess you won't be needing An Extended Service Plan from Geek Squad as you hold a degree from MIT" and sent us on our way.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

Sounds like typical retard stores. There is only two stores in my area that aren't complete morons/brainwashed by Best Buy's "eLearnings" which "educate" (and I put that lightly) their employees.

Most people's income depends on the purchase decision of others in one way or another. Either directly or indirectly.

The company or business you work for probably sells a product or service of some sort. My guess is your income depends on the purchase decisions of others who buy that product or service.

Maybe you should cut these folks some slack.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

That and the fact that no one at Best Buy is commission, so they could careless about what you buy or don't buy. They'll get a bonus based on how much they make as a total for that month but the bonus isn't good unless you're full time or management.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Best Buy stock is at a 3 yr high and sales are way up. They wont be going out of biz anytime soon.

You don't read the news. Or are too fixated on stock pricing.
They have systematically been closing quite a few of their remaining stores (they got like what? 900 left or less?. Some are downsizing both in staff and real estate. When companies restructure by cutting stores and staff, many investors see it as a potential money maker thus invest in stocks for the company. This drive to invest pushes demand for Best Buy stock, thus increasing it's price. Their sales/performance in 2013 isn't that good at all, in fact it's negatives at times. The reason for the stock price increase has more to do with the restructuring of Best buy and investors wanting to cash in.

My Local best buy has 1-2 people for mobile now, sometimes 3-4 but most of the times before I stopped going there it was only 1-2.
They had 1-2 cashiers only, haven't seen more than that sometimes there's NO cashiers because they're out busy helping other customers. They also have about 1-2 computer people. And maybe 3-4 more staff running around including managers. They got about 2-3 people now on Geek Squad operating both Geek Squad, Customer service, Returns, and online pick ups. This is far cry from 3-4 years ago where they had at least double the staff.
Not to mention a lot of the workers there look like fresh out of high school kids, specially at the geek squad, cashier, and computer sections. Oldest was probably 22-23.. Everyone else looked like they were 18 or something.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
That's why I love my board. I get 1500 mA from the back USB ports.

.5 amps or 500 mA by the way, not mhz. Lol.

:confused: 500Mhz of power? 500 mA of power? In any event, power is not measured in MHz nor mA. Also, I never heard you needed 12-15 amps to charge a tablet battery....!! :confused:

wetink

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I get better deals at Staples than best buy. At bb they always have promotions where the sales people are pushing some item for personal bonuses.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
:confused: 500Mhz of power? 500 mA of power? In any event, power is not measured in MHz nor mA. Also, I never heard you needed 12-15 amps to charge a tablet battery....!! :confused:
Yes Power is measured in mA and a 12-15 amps DC power supply would weigh in at about 10 LBS

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Phones generally charge at 1 amp, tablets at 2.1. It's noted directly on your charger...check it out sometime.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Granted, my employer does not have any specific customer, so in that vane, I am very lucky.

Having said that, I could understand your argument if (and here is the big thing) the BBY employee did his/her thing and then let me go. However time after time the BBY employees @ my store argue with me about my choices suggesting different models and I have to fight to make the purchase I (big key here, I) want to make.

A few months ago I was with a buddy who has a degree from MIT in computer engineering and stopped in because BBY was having a sale on a laptop he wanted. The employee started suggesting other models and when my buddy would not bite, the BBY employee started to make stuff up about the computer. When my buddy called him on it, the BBY employee asked how my buddy knew what he was saying was wrong as he (the BBY employee) received extensive training (I am guessing from BBY) . My buddy responded that he holds a Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering from MIT and knows a thing or two about computers as well and further more playing who knows more with the customer is very unprofessional.

We spoke with his manager who did not apologize nor really provide us with any satisfaction, he just rang up the desired laptop, made a snark comment saying, "I guess you won't be needing An Extended Service Plan from Geek Squad as you hold a degree from MIT" and sent us on our way.

Dan

Service plans are only useful for manufacturing defects that aren't found before 2 weeks are up, and for items that you damage by dropping them ,or drop-kicking them because most tech items are crap, still fun, but frustrating.

The manufact. warranty will take care of defects, but the service plan is 'no questions asked.' You pay for convenience in this situation.

As far as the G.S. FIXING anything themselves, or giving me information I can't get from RTFM or forums like this... I've never seen it happen.

All anyone with a mind for tech (no need to have a CE or EE degree from MIT, however my EE/CE degree is from Iowa State.) needs from the service counter is a person to punch buttons on the register, and staple my receipt to the return form.

Also my BB has the same line for G.S. questions, and plain return/exchanges. Why would I want to wait in line for someone who can't read to ask a question when all I want is a return or exchange.

There's something wrong with a business if the returns line is longer than the checkout line.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

The person you are responding to didn't say 500mA of POWER, just 500mA.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes Power is measured in mA and a 12-15 amps DC power supply would weigh in at about 10 LBS

Ug! Power is measured in Watts. Power (Watts) = Current (A) x Voltage (V)

So for the 2013 N7 charger the output is RATED (not necessarily what the battery sees) at 5.2V and 1.35A.
Power = 5.2 x 1.35 = 7.02 Watts

As far as what the battery sees, that can only be measured with a calibrated multi-meter.

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Ug! Power is measured in Watts. Power (Watts) = Current (A) x Voltage (V)

So for the 2013 N7 charger the output is RATED (not necessarily what the battery sees) at 5.2V and 1.35A.
Power = 5.2 x 1.35 = 7.02 Watts

As far as what the battery sees, that can only be measured with a calibrated multi-meter.
Uggggg mA is a fraction of AMPS, in your example above it would be 1,0350 mA's or 1.35 amps it's the same thing, do you know what the next one lower than mA is called? :)

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
mA is a form to measure current, given that USB's should be 5v me stating it's giving me 1500 mA of power means miliAmperes, in otherwords 1.5 amperes. Multiply this by the USB spec (which could of been taken from context), 5V that's 7.5 watts.

Anyways, please read the thread next time. :p

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Uggggg mA is a fraction of AMPS, in your example above it would be 1,0350 mA's or 1.35 amps it's the same thing, do you know what the next one lower than mA is called? :)

You missed my point entirely. You said "Power is measured in mA", but current is measured in mA. Power is measured in Watts or mW or wherever you want to put the decimal, it's still watts of power.

Besides, you also said 1,0350 mA = 1.35 A? Wouldn't it be 1,350 mA = 1.35 A?

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
ohhh... This thread is going from "Best Buy not wanting to sell their stuff" to "Electronics 101"... :confused::confused: :D

PablofromCA

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I work in the financial industry and cover BB everyday. Stock price is just one indication of a company's health or an indication of where the company?s revenues are heading. So by your visit to one store which you admit you don't even go to anymore you know all about BB. They have almost no retail competition, they will match internet prices, top notch CEO who has the company moving in the right direction, and the stock is up 300% from its low. Yup sounds like theyll be out of biz tomorrow.

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
lemons and electronics is something I would be aware of if I were you. sometimes getting a bad phone unit sucks because all you get for replacements are other returns.. so you usually go through about 3-4 of them before you find a useable one because all the refurbish shop does is reformat the thing certain bugs and crashes etc are brought about in random ways that they don't fix.

so buying a returned unit.. for non substantial savings is a bad move by you in my opinion.

I'm glad to report (I'm the OP) that my Nexus 7 has performed perfectly since I purchased it (open box) over a week ago. I love it an will keep it until the LTE version comes out. Since I paid $190 ($210 including tax and CA disposal fees), I won't take a beating when I sell it used on CL.

I understand your concerns on purchasing used (or open box) electronics. I have shared that experience in the past when buying NEW! I'm one of the fools who initially purchased the Motorola Triumph phone (Virgin Mobile) when it first came out. What a piece of junk! And no support from Motorola. 2 replacements were just as bad. But I researched the Nexus and saw all the issues with 4.1. I knew there would be a large return rate. I waited until 4.3 which fixed many of the bugs. And I took advantage of the 20% extra discount on labor day (on open box products). No risk as I still had 14 days to return it if I wasn't happy.

And you call $190 price non-substantial savings? That's about 30% off retail. And it comes from a retail store which allows me to return it. How can you possibly lose???

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
But I researched the Nexus and saw all the issues with 4.1. I knew there would be a large return rate. I waited until 4.3 which fixed many of the bugs.

The 2nd generation came with 4.3 right out of the box. It had 2 updates, but they were all 4.3. 4.1 came out at the end of June last year.

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
The 2nd generation came with 4.3 right out of the box. It had 2 updates, but they were all 4.3. 4.1 came out at the end of June last year.

Oops. I knew there were two updates since the new 2013 Nexus came out and thought it was 4.2 & 4.3. I guess I was wrong. I have a Motorola Xoom that just got 4.1 a few weeks ago! And this is why I went with a Nexus....so I don't have to wait a long time for updates! Thanks for the clarification.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
As you guys have mentioned, I knew most of the returns aren't true hardware defects. I read about software issues here and felt confident the open box units will work great (specially with the recent updates). The unit I got is in perfect mint condition. And thanks for letting me know that it's normal for extreme slow charging through the computer. Even my HTC EVO wall charger barely charges this unit, but it's own ac plug does fine (the one that came with the Nexus).

I got mine from the W. Los Angeles store. They had a few open boxes in their display locked cabinet. And the 20% off is for this labor day weekend only. I love my Nexus so far. I like it much better than my Xoom.

Charging has changed a lot...in 4 years.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I love it an will keep it until the LTE version comes out.

I'm interested why you are going to buy the LTE version. I thought I was going to do the same thing, but in the three weeks I've had my WiFi-only device and been tethering it to my cell-phone's WiFi hotspot, I have decided that there is no reason for me to get the LTE version. I always have my cell phone with me when I am using the tablet, anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay