Best Buy Didn't Want to Sell Me a Nexus!

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Went to my local Best Buy yesterday. They had special salespeople there directly from Samsung and Apple. The Samsung guy approached me and wanted to sell me a Galaxy and talked down the Nexus and full of bugs. I stuck to my horses and said I'd prefer a Nexus mainly because I don't have to wait long for updates once they are released from Google. He leaves and I find a Best Buy salesman. He says he WILL NOT sell me a Nexus because they all get returned and it will look bad on his record!!!!! WHAT???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? I ask for his manager and then he softens his tone. He shows me the cage where they sell "open box" tablets and says look at all the returns. There were about 4 of the Nexus 32 Gig's on the shelf. And there were about 15 iPads on the return shelf! I tell him it seems more iPads get returned than Nexus, so he says they have more open box Nexus's in the back.

I see a sign about a 20% off open box electronics this weekend. I told the salesman that I want to buy an open box unit to try out. After much debate, he sells me the Nexus 7" 32Gig for $190!!!! The open box is already marked down and you get another 20% off! Great deal!

I have been testing it for 24 hours now. It seems to work pretty darn good. I'm having a slight problem with charging (very slow when plugged into my computer), but it seems to be doing better today. It took an update and I haven't had any other problems. Chrome was a bit buggy, but Dolphin has been flawless. I do wish I had waited for a 4G model, but at $190, I just can't give it back.

Last edited:

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Slow charging plugged into a pc is normal. If it charges at the same slow speed plugged in through the wall charger then there's a problem. I need to head to my local best buy and see if they have any at those prices. :)

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
even on this forum, you'll see people talking about returning their nexus for either software issues or non-real issues all together. even intended features are many times misconstrued as a bug.

in essence, it's like returning my top of the line and stable desktop PC's hardware components, because a program crashes due to a specific software issue.

I'm sure many sellers and even the manufacturers are racking their brains over all of these unnecessary returns. it's one thing to deal with an actual broken product with a high rate of failure or issues, it's another to deal with a perfect product where consumers imagine issues or attribute them wrongly to hardware.

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
You got an awesome deal. As others mentioned, charging via PC USB is slower than AC. Not noticeable with phones as with tablets. Some tablets won't charge at all. There are programs that can help increase the voltage on PC USB ports. You cad also try rear USB instead of front.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine through Google and it had a real defect, the speakers would all of sudden stop working and then a few minutes later start again.

I RMAed it and the new one is working perfectly fine.

A good friend of mine bought his from Best Buy (BBY) and returned it because he thought it was broken, did not realize that the NFC lacked a secure element to purchase stuff.

I started laughing when he told me he returned it because I knew from this site it lacked the secure element.

I headed over to BBY and bought his open box for about $190 which IMHO is a good deal and will make a great tablet for my folks who are not tech junkies and do not care if it is new in box or not.

Oddly the sales guy also tried to talk me out of a Nexus saying nobody likes it and you will return it too.

Dan

Last edited:

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
open box deals are pretty good for in store purchases. I don't trust them so much for internet orders. my biggest concern with open box isn't the functionality of the device, but rather the physical condition. I'd be checking the screen surface and bezel with a magnifying glass to make sure there wasn't any damage, especially damage that could get worse.

anon(6085464)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
People can't live without dumb functions that Samsung and related companies add on their stuff. No wonder why they return them.

By the way you can't expect to get the same juice out of the computer, use your wall charger.

Anyways great deal there, will try to look for those open boxes things.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
As you guys have mentioned, I knew most of the returns aren't true hardware defects. I read about software issues here and felt confident the open box units will work great (specially with the recent updates). The unit I got is in perfect mint condition. And thanks for letting me know that it's normal for extreme slow charging through the computer. Even my HTC EVO wall charger barely charges this unit, but it's own ac plug does fine (the one that came with the Nexus).

I got mine from the W. Los Angeles store. They had a few open boxes in their display locked cabinet. And the 20% off is for this labor day weekend only. I love my Nexus so far. I like it much better than my Xoom.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I somewhat work for Best Buy still in the computer/tablets/mobile phone section. Most employees to that company are complete f-tards. They're brainwashed by their eLearnings that the company and the manufacturers give them and don't research on their own to do their job to a specific standard that I retain for myself and coworkers. I hate saying I work for that company because of how many failures work at many of the stores. Also, I like the Samsung areas but extremely dislike the terrible bias that comes with those reps.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
That's a great deal. I just love my Nexus 7 32gb. I think it is an absolute killer unit. Fast, powerful, great screen, the software is super and I get really good battery life. Haters are just gonna hate....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
As you guys have mentioned, I knew most of the returns aren't true hardware defects. I read about software issues here and felt confident the open box units will work great (specially with the recent updates). The unit I got is in perfect mint condition. And thanks for letting me know that it's normal for extreme slow charging through the computer. Even my HTC EVO wall charger barely charges this unit, but it's own ac plug does fine (the one that came with the Nexus).

I got mine from the W. Los Angeles store. They had a few open boxes in their display locked cabinet. And the 20% off is for this labor day weekend only. I love my Nexus so far. I like it much better than my Xoom.

Yeah, the HTC Evo charger probably only has a 1,000 Mah where as the Nexus has a 2,000 Mah charger. Twice as fast.

I need to go and check out another best buy.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

brattyc

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I bought both the original and new one at Office Depot and have had no problems. Seems like a lot of people that buys theirs at Best Buy have the most problems...think I'll stick to only buying tvs at Best Buy.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
People can't live without dumb functions that Samsung and related companies add on their stuff. No wonder why they return them.

By the way you can't expect to get the same juice out of the computer, use your wall charger.

Anyways great deal there, will try to look for those open boxes things.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

I wouldn't say all of the functions are dumb. One function that I use on my Samsung tablet that I can't on my Nexus 7 is being able to send an email to Groups from my contacts. Had to purchase a 3rd party app for this shortfall. Another is being able to transfer files to and from my Nexus 7 using an OTG cable. Had to purchase a 3rd party app for that too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I bought both the original and new one at Office Depot and have had no problems. Seems like a lot of people that buys theirs at Best Buy have the most problems...think I'll stick to only buying tvs at Best Buy.

Different retailers get the same shipments, lol. This is the first time Best Buy has carried a Nexus tablet so naturally, they reach more electronics consumers than most other retailers. More people buy there = statistically more likely to see problems arise.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My big complaint with Best Buy is the employees need to pontificate on the item I want to buy.

If I wanted their thoughts on any given item I would solicit it, if not just get me the item and avoid commenting it.

Sadly at least at my Best Buy the employees are convinced that they know more about electronics than their customers and thus must educate us.

However, that is off-topic, just a pet peeve of mine, the new N7 is a great device either new in box or as an open box item.

Dan

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Different retailers get the same shipments, lol. This is the first time Best Buy has carried a Nexus tablet so naturally, they reach more electronics consumers than most other retailers. More people buy there = statistically more likely to see problems arise.

That is mostly true, but BBY is guilty of getting any given manufacturer to build a device that is basically the same but has a different model number specifically for BBY to avoid price comparisons and if that batch is bad it will be exclusively bad at BBY as the run was made exclusively for BBY.

Though not the case with Nexus 7 nor other mainstream devices like iDevices.

Dan

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Just so you know where this is coming from, there were actually enough returns due to the software issues that are now patched by Google for BB to take notice. Word did get around inside BB and the chain managers, and that's why you're getting this reaction at more than one location. Now that it's been patched, they may or may not catch up with that news. People are far less likely to give them feedback when they're not returning something.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yep to be specific, PC USB ports only supply around 500 MHz of power, even the dedicated ones (the ones built into the board, not the tower). Due to the large amount of power a tablet consumes, unless you use the stock charger or one that's capable of putting out 12-15 amps, the tablet will only trickle charge. And that's only if you charge it while its off, if you use it while charging it from the PC, or a non tablet charger it won't charge at all, and may even discharge still.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech