Thoughts about a portable recharger for the Nexus 7?

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
The other day I took my Nexus 7 out for about 4 hours. During that time the battery only drained 3%. I probably used it for about an hour of that time, downloading and installing something from Google Play.

Still, I am interested in getting some sort of portable charger that works on either disposable/rechargeable batteries, or possibly solar. I suspect a solar charger can't carry enough charge to fill up the Nexus though. I notice that while charging direct from the wall outlet charging is quick enough, charging via the USB port takes a very long time.

Anyway, are there any recommendations for a good portable charger? Any precautions (too much amperage, too little amperage)? Or will just about any charger with a micro-usb connector do?

If possible, I'd like to use the same charger for my iPhone 5. I know I'll need a micro-usb-to-lightning converter for that though. I don't know why Apple insisted on a non-standard connector like that. During my 4 hour outing my iPhone 5 went down 35%!

Thanks,

doug

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
No car charger? If not, you should not have any issues plugging in to the wall wherever you go. Some places like Starbucks will even start offering wireless charging soon.

In my opinion, portable chargers are like UPS. They are meant for an emergency type situation rather than day to day use.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
No car charger? If not, you should not have any issues plugging in to the wall wherever you go. Some places like Starbucks will even start offering wireless charging soon.

In my opinion, portable chargers are like UPS. They are meant for an emergency type situation rather than day to day use.

No car, so no car charger. I think the most likely situation for me might be during a long train ride.

stevekt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Check out New Trent or Anker external batteries. I have a New Trent 12000mAh that I keep in my backpack. It fits in a case for a portable hard drive.

Posted via Android Central App

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Check out New Trent or Anker external batteries. I have a New Trent 12000mAh that I keep in my backpack. It fits in a case for a portable hard drive.

I second that! I have the 12000mAh NewTrent also. I love it! It has 2 USB ports, to charge 2 devices. One of the ports delivers 2A, so it'll charge your iPad as well.

The nice thing is, it's 15W, so it'll charge a 2A device and 1A device *simultaneously*. Most double port chargers are only 10W, which means it'll only deliver a total of 2A at a time (two 1A devices OR a single 2A device). A 15W charger will deliver all 3A at a time.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The 2013 N7 has a 3950 mAh battery, so consider what the degree of battery drain (for both that and your iPhone) you're looking to restore a charge. I initially bought the NewTrent IMP120d (12,000mAh), but quickly found that it was far more than I needed for most situations to manage my 2012 N7 and android phone, and have since kept it mostly for emergencies and for extended out-of-town trips.

The one I generally have with me (usually in my car) is the Amazon.com : New Trent: Easypak NT70T - (7000mAh) 2A/1A Triple USB Ports External Battery Pack for the Apple: iPad mini, the new iPad 4 / 3 / 2, iPhone 5 / 4S / 4 /3GS, iPod Touch all gen; Samsung: Galaxy Note, S4 / S3 / S2, Nexus ; HTC: ONE, One X, ($29.95 w/ free 2-day shipping for Amazon Prime members) which works fine for both, providing simulataneous 2.1A and 1A outputs.

Its capacity is enough to fully restore both devices from completely drained (though you should never let Li-Ion batteries fully drain, as that will accelerate theirinevitable decline in performance), and it's easily pocketable. It's also nice that it charges from an integrated USB cable, so there's no need for an external AC adapter if you have a USB port available, as well as integrated micro-USB cable for the tablet.

It does not include a cable for Apple's proprietary connector, so unfortunately you will still have to use an adapter.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I just backed this projected on Kickstarter - the funding period is over though it should be available to the public soon.

JuiceBee - The Compact 3-in-1 Battery Backup + USB Wall Charger

Am really looking forward to having a portable power supply for both my N7 as well as phone(s)

Nice find. Wish it had 2.1a output though, to cover the gamut of mobile devices. The N7 is able to draw up to 1.3a iirc, so while JuiceBee's 1a output will charge it, it'll be a bit slow - and this would be more pronounced on devices capable of pulling upwards of 2a.

Some interesting finds out there - I funded/ordered a miniscule keyring USB battery to always have on hand in an emergency for my phone. There's even a hand-cranked battery pack/charger for prolonged absence of recharging options.

hiwayracer

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Nice find. Wish it had 2.1a output though, to cover the gamut of mobile devices. The N7 is able to draw up to 1.3a iirc, so while JuiceBee's 1a output will charge it, it'll be a bit slow - and this would be more pronounced on devices capable of pulling upwards of 2a.

Some interesting finds out there - I funded/ordered a miniscule keyring USB battery to always have on hand in an emergency for my phone. There's even a hand-cranked battery pack/charger for prolonged absence of recharging options.

One of the best 2A ones I've seen was legion - Legion - The world's most intelligent battery for all of your electronic devices.

Again a kickstarter project - I missed their funding period though and settled with the Juicebee with car charger combo