best way to transfer files, pics, apps between old and new Nexus devices?

ExceptforKhloe

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a new Nexus 7, and I want to know what would be the best way to do this. I guess I could use flickr for pics, but there are a LOT of PDFs, other eBook formats. There seem to be several POSSIBLE ways, but they seem as if there might be an issue.

I should note these tablets are on *separate* Google accounts, so that may affect something like using Google Drive to do it.

I've got 5.75 GB left on my old 16 GB account, if that gives you an idea. Granted, lots of that is apps. Non-rooted.

What kind of limitations does Android Beam have? It took about 6 second to send a picture, it was 327K I think. It was my first experiment, but it seemed large files like books might take time. Will Beam allow transfer of apps? I doubt it.

This is for general data transfer I guess, but in light of flickr/similar sites, I'm mostly concerned about eBook/PDF files. Any tips would be helpful.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
https://app.box.com/

This is a great cloud file-sharing service, and the Android app works great. You can use it to upload all your stuff from the old device into the cloud and then download it all to the new device, regardless of which Google account you are using on the two devices.

Alternatively, how about connecting your old device to a computer, copying all the files onto the computer's hard drive, and then connecting your new device, and transferring everything over? This would surely be much faster than doing it through the cloud.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
connect old N7 to PC-->Copy to PC-->Connect new N7-->copy back

and apps are always synced to your google account. if you mean app data use app called Helium.

ExceptforKhloe

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I'd forgotten about that one. I'd post how much of my used space on the old one was PDFs, images, etc but when I look under settings-storage, it's always calculating and never fesses up.

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Any apps you purchased on the 1st account won't be available on the second account. You will either need to sign in with both under the new tablet or rebuy.

ExceptforKhloe

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Sign in with both? I know Nexus supports multiple accounts, but had no reason to mess with it. I imagine apps under one account might not appear while signed into the other.? Or did I misunderstand you completely?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Sign in with both? I know Nexus supports multiple accounts, but had no reason to mess with it. I imagine apps under one account might not appear while signed into the other.? Or did I misunderstand you completely?

You misunderstood. He is not talking about separate profiles. You can have more than one gmail account on your device, though it does complicate things a bit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty