How do I use NFC, like how do they know what to transfer??

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have HTC one and nexus 7.2, trying to move a music .zip file to the 7.
1)how large can file be that's transferring?
2) all I get when holding them together is "if you want to...touch the screen" on each device. How does it know what file I'm moving?
How long does it take?
3) ??? Where does the file go????@
I need like nfc for dummies????
Any help would be great!!! :) thanks..Ed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The developers of whatever app is on the sending device get to decide what actually gets sent via Android Beam (which is the 'tap to send' NFC thing).

As a general rule, an app that supports Beam will send whatever is currently on screen. E.g. Chrome sends a web link for the tab currently open, which the receiver automatically opens. What app are you using?

Technically, there's no size limit to Android Beam, since it uses Bluetooth.

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to move a .zip file, I'm looking at it in Astro file mgr (is that what you mean by ,"what app are you using).
Are there apps I need to find or is just touching the devices together and using whatever is built in??
Are there specific nfc beaming apps I need??
So it's Bluetooth, does that mean that a file say that's 140 mb requires more than a tap. Do I need to keep the devices together for a period of time...lol. thanks for the help by the way..I guess I'm close to doing it but maybe the file is on the large size instead of like a photo or something??

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Like the post above states, the app sending the content decides what is sent. And that also means the app must support NFC sharing. Not sure if astro supports it. When you hold them together and the screen of the device that you want to send from shrinks and says to touch to beam, just touch the screen and see what happens. It might just link the other device to the play store for astro.

If I might suggest another option for sending files between devices, download ES file explore on both devices and use the sending feature it has. It sends whatever you want over WiFi, which is much faster than Bluetooth.

Posted via Android Central App

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I ended up doing Bluetooth and another via Dropbox which I knew could be done so I'll keep trying the nfc thing. I've used a bunch of file managers over the years and astro is my fav so unless its imperative that I switch I'll stick with it.
Thanks folks!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I use a different file manager and NFC is not a share option. I suspect that is the same with Astro.

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok so you start the process with the share option, that's what I needed. Thanks

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma