Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I use USB Internet data card on Nexus 7 - 2013 Wi-Fi only model?

How do I use USB Internet data card on Nexus 7 - 2013 Wi-Fi only model? I do have OTG cable... is there any app I need to download to use this internet data card?

Default Re: How do I use USB Internet data card on Nexus 7 - 2013 Wi-Fi only model?

Maybe this article will help or at least point you in the right direction: Connect USB Modem Or Data Card To Android Tablet ~ Android Experts

Or this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ppwidget&hl=en
    LegendJo likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: How do I use USB Internet data card on Nexus 7 - 2013 Wi-Fi only model?

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Maybe this article will help or at least point you in the right direction: Connect USB Modem Or Data Card To Android Tablet ~ Android Experts
    I did have a chance to look at this article and stopped at a point where it talks about 3G option in wireless & networks. I dont see this option in Nexus 7 - 2013 tab....

"Enable 3G option by selecting the “3G” option from same menu."
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Tried downloading this one PPP Widget, this seems to require root access.

Might also consider looking into what it would take to swap your USB card for a wifi hotspot instead. It would make setup much easier, and allow for multiple devices to connect at once.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Might also consider looking into what it would take to swap your USB card for a wifi hotspot instead. It would make setup much easier, and allow for multiple devices to connect at once.
    Unfortunately wi fi hotspot is not very common here in India. One wud get them at selective places only, like airport, selective hotels etc...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by heeemz View Post
    Unfortunately wi fi hotspot is not very common here in India. One wud get them at selective places only, like airport, selective hotels etc...

He means using your smartphone as a hotspot.... if that is an option.

He means using your smartphone as a hotspot.... if that is an option.
    While that works, I actually mean getting a separate portable hotspot device.

Quote Originally Posted by heeemz View Post

At least in the US, you can get a portable hotspot device, which is about the size of a smartphone, and acts like your USB modem, except it creates a portable wifi hotspot. Then you can carry it with you, and use it to connect laptops, tablets, or anything else with wifi capability. Not sure what availability or other differences you might have in India, though (I had no idea that's where you were.)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    While that works, I actually mean getting a separate portable hotspot device.

At least in the US, you can get a portable hotspot device, which is about the size of a smartphone, and acts like your USB modem, except it creates a portable wifi hotspot. Then you can carry it with you, and use it to connect laptops, tablets, or anything else with wifi capability. Not sure what availability or other differences you might have in India, though (I had no idea that's where you were.)
    Thank you for your valuable inputs, portable hotspot is a good idea, I think that's available here. Will check this out.

Currently I use my BB phone as hotspot. Works quite well but these BB phones battery isn't great. And phone tends to get quite warm.

Unfortunately Neus 7 2013 does not work with USB 3G dongles at all, because Android 4.3 can't load kernel modules. Only way is custom kernels ( If some make it without flashing - answer.
    You can see more info here USB_ModeSwitch • View topic - Bad news for Nexus 10 owners on Android 4.3 (new Nexus7 too)