Lost my Nexus 7 - Anything I can do?

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Was out drinking last night with friends. As I woke up this morning, I realized I have no idea what happened to my new Nexus 7! I'll have to check with the bar and see if anyone turned it in (doubtful). I didn't have any special programs installed for finding it. Is there anything I can do now remotely? I guess all I need to do is immediately change my Google account password. Anything else?

wolverine2003

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Was out drinking last night with friends. As I woke up this morning, I realized I have no idea what happened to my new Nexus 7! I'll have to check with the bar and see if anyone turned it in (doubtful). I didn't have any special programs installed for finding it. Is there anything I can do now remotely? I guess all I need to do is immediately change my Google account password. Anything else?

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

Sign in and see if it will show you where it's at. I hope you find it!

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Found it! Thanks for the link, it showed it was at my home! I left it in my bicycle's rear storage bag. That's very cool of Google to natively include this deviemanager.

I will never take my Nexus to a bar again!

wolverine2003

May 29, 2010
Visit site

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
google really needs to enable these devices with specific identification codes tied to an account to keep them from being stolen and re-sold. otherwise, it's useless for most purposes.

for example, if someone steals the device, all they have to do is wipe it themselves, which takes seconds. even if they don't wipe it, all they have to do is disable wifi or disable GPS. even if the thief disables GPS but uses their own wifi service, the device will be unable to be tracked, not even an IP address is recorded. I don't often lose devices in my own home. I'm more worried about theft than losing a device at home. It'd be nice to have the piece of mind that if my device was ever stolen, no matter who they sold it to, it would list me as the owner and notify me whenever and wherever it's used in the future so that I can take appropriate action in either reclaiming it from the person it was sold to or prosecuting the thief. The irony of it all, is such a feature would be EASY to implement yet it does not exist.

Even wiping your device remotely is both pointless and detrimental. If a person really wanted your data, a wipe wouldn't get rid of it. Running a deleted file recover would reveal everything that was 'wiped'. Then the detrimental part is wiping the device removes the ability to track it anymore...it's essentially unrecoverable after that. So you have to choose between having your account compromised with the hopes that the thief is stupid enough to 1) leave the device on 2) leave GPS on 3) connect to the internet through wifi 4) not wipe the device themselves.....or losing your device for good. when you break it down, there isn't any protection for your data at all no matter what steps you take, unless you encrypt the entire OS....but even then a wipe will factory reset and that won't detour theft.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
google really needs to enable these devices with specific identification codes tied to an account to keep them from being stolen and re-sold. otherwise, it's useless for most purposes.

for example, if someone steals the device, all they have to do is wipe it themselves, which takes seconds. even if they don't wipe it, all they have to do is disable wifi or disable GPS. even if the thief disables GPS but uses their own wifi service, the device will be unable to be tracked, not even an IP address is recorded. I don't often lose devices in my own home. I'm more worried about theft than losing a device at home. It'd be nice to have the piece of mind that if my device was ever stolen, no matter who they sold it to, it would list me as the owner and notify me whenever and wherever it's used in the future so that I can take appropriate action in either reclaiming it from the person it was sold to or prosecuting the thief. The irony of it all, is such a feature would be EASY to implement yet it does not exist.

Even wiping your device remotely is both pointless and detrimental. If a person really wanted your data, a wipe wouldn't get rid of it. Running a deleted file recover would reveal everything that was 'wiped'. Then the detrimental part is wiping the device removes the ability to track it anymore...it's essentially unrecoverable after that. So you have to choose between having your account compromised with the hopes that the thief is stupid enough to 1) leave the device on 2) leave GPS on 3) connect to the internet through wifi 4) not wipe the device themselves.....or losing your device for good. when you break it down, there isn't any protection for your data at all no matter what steps you take, unless you encrypt the entire OS....but even then a wipe will factory reset and that won't detour theft.

You're right that the current system doesn't do much to deal with an at least semi tech savvy thief. It is a step in the right direction, though, and the current system has been in place for, what, a month? We do have to keep pushing some for the features we want, but it's also good to do some recognizing of the continual progress that Google has been making in adding useful features.

BRB, going to check out Chrome Desktop Apps... :)

Sot Day

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I searched for my tablet from my tablet and my location was unknown. I guess one of the best palaces to hide truly is in plain site.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol