Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By wolverine2003
  • 6 Post By howardv
  • 1 Post By hiwayracer
  • 1 Post By wolverine2003
  • 2 Post By Joe Joejoe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lost my Nexus 7 - Anything I can do?

Was out drinking last night with friends. As I woke up this morning, I realized I have no idea what happened to my new Nexus 7! I'll have to check with the bar and see if anyone turned it in (doubtful). I didn't have any special programs installed for finding it. Is there anything I can do now remotely? I guess all I need to do is immediately change my Google account password. Anything else?

Default Re: Lost my Nexus 7 - Anything I can do?

Quote Originally Posted by howardv View Post
    Was out drinking last night with friends. As I woke up this morning, I realized I have no idea what happened to my new Nexus 7! I'll have to check with the bar and see if anyone turned it in (doubtful). I didn't have any special programs installed for finding it. Is there anything I can do now remotely? I guess all I need to do is immediately change my Google account password. Anything else?

Sign in and see if it will show you where it's at. I hope you find it!
    Thanked by 4:
    Ntchwaidumela and flacousa like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Found it! Thanks for the link, it showed it was at my home! I left it in my bicycle's rear storage bag. That's very cool of Google to natively include this deviemanager.

I will never take my Nexus to a bar again!

And that option will only exist when you have a wifi connection. Keep that in mind.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine2003 View Post

Sign in and see if it will show you where it's at. I hope you find it!
    Never knew about that - nice - though for some reason it only picks up my phone and not my tablet though i use lookout.

Also if one looses ones phone can always use
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwayracer View Post
    Never knew about that - nice - though for some reason it only picks up my phone and not my tablet though i use lookout.

Lookout is its own system separate from Google's. You may need to set up your tablet on Google's system.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Quote Originally Posted by howardv View Post
    Found it! Thanks for the link, it showed it was at my home! I left it in my bicycle's rear storage bag. That's very cool of Google to natively include this deviemanager.

I will never take my Nexus to a bar again!
    Awesome! I'm glad you found it!
    Evan Celata likes this.

Plan B says it only works with Android version 2.0 - 2.3 though.

On your tablet, open Google Settings and make sure "Remotely locate this device" is selected.

They released it about a month or so ago I think.

google really needs to enable these devices with specific identification codes tied to an account to keep them from being stolen and re-sold. otherwise, it's useless for most purposes.

for example, if someone steals the device, all they have to do is wipe it themselves, which takes seconds. even if they don't wipe it, all they have to do is disable wifi or disable GPS. even if the thief disables GPS but uses their own wifi service, the device will be unable to be tracked, not even an IP address is recorded. I don't often lose devices in my own home. I'm more worried about theft than losing a device at home. It'd be nice to have the piece of mind that if my device was ever stolen, no matter who they sold it to, it would list me as the owner and notify me whenever and wherever it's used in the future so that I can take appropriate action in either reclaiming it from the person it was sold to or prosecuting the thief. The irony of it all, is such a feature would be EASY to implement yet it does not exist.

Even wiping your device remotely is both pointless and detrimental. If a person really wanted your data, a wipe wouldn't get rid of it. Running a deleted file recover would reveal everything that was 'wiped'. Then the detrimental part is wiping the device removes the ability to track it anymore...it's essentially unrecoverable after that. So you have to choose between having your account compromised with the hopes that the thief is stupid enough to 1) leave the device on 2) leave GPS on 3) connect to the internet through wifi 4) not wipe the device themselves.....or losing your device for good. when you break it down, there isn't any protection for your data at all no matter what steps you take, unless you encrypt the entire OS....but even then a wipe will factory reset and that won't detour theft.
    bretc and laddangelius like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Joejoe View Post
    google really needs to enable these devices with specific identification codes tied to an account to keep them from being stolen and re-sold. otherwise, it's useless for most purposes.

for example, if someone steals the device, all they have to do is wipe it themselves, which takes seconds. even if they don't wipe it, all they have to do is disable wifi or disable GPS. even if the thief disables GPS but uses their own wifi service, the device will be unable to be tracked, not even an IP address is recorded. I don't often lose devices in my own home. I'm more worried about theft than losing a device at home. It'd be nice to have the piece of mind that if my device was ever stolen, no matter who they sold it to, it would list me as the owner and notify me whenever and wherever it's used in the future so that I can take appropriate action in either reclaiming it from the person it was sold to or prosecuting the thief. The irony of it all, is such a feature would be EASY to implement yet it does not exist.

Even wiping your device remotely is both pointless and detrimental. If a person really wanted your data, a wipe wouldn't get rid of it. Running a deleted file recover would reveal everything that was 'wiped'. Then the detrimental part is wiping the device removes the ability to track it anymore...it's essentially unrecoverable after that. So you have to choose between having your account compromised with the hopes that the thief is stupid enough to 1) leave the device on 2) leave GPS on 3) connect to the internet through wifi 4) not wipe the device themselves.....or losing your device for good. when you break it down, there isn't any protection for your data at all no matter what steps you take, unless you encrypt the entire OS....but even then a wipe will factory reset and that won't detour theft.
    You're right that the current system doesn't do much to deal with an at least semi tech savvy thief. It is a step in the right direction, though, and the current system has been in place for, what, a month? We do have to keep pushing some for the features we want, but it's also good to do some recognizing of the continual progress that Google has been making in adding useful features.

BRB, going to check out Chrome Desktop Apps...
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

lost my nexus phone .. how to trace the mobile

Quote Originally Posted by chaitu_bujjigadu View Post
    lost my nexus phone .. how to trace the mobile
    You can use the same page to track the phone too.

I searched for my tablet from my tablet and my location was unknown. I guess one of the best palaces to hide truly is in plain site.

Posted via Android Central App

This little gadget is a life saver for a guy like me who is always losing his cell phone and keys etc. -

wherestheremote dot net

why dosent ring work on device manager/