Cracked screen

Timmayw21

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So I have a cracked screen on my new nexus 7, I think it was dropped but no one is owning up to it.
Are there replacement screens available yet? I've done a few quick searches but all I've found thus far is screens for the first gen nexus 7.

Thanks
Tim

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your screen. Unless the prices are drastically cheaper than the 1st gen, buying a new unit is likely to be the most cost effective way to go.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
bad thing about tablets is the screens are both the most expensive, and the most fragile part. not to mention it's 2 different layers with two different functions.

replacement screen is out of the question. you'd probably break the new screen while putting it in. the n7 2013 isn't really meant to be tinkered with, it requires the precision of a machine to open and close without breaking the screen, and the it was only really meant to be closed. the screens themselves are machine pressed then vacuum sealed when the touch part is glued on to keep particles from being trapped in front of the screen. the sides do snap off, but this causes flexing if they aren't all done at the same time, which can easily damage a screen. LCD screens themselves are rather brittle and not very flexible. one hair line crack and it's junked.

many people will say the repair ability is 'easy' because that one tech site took it apart, but even they broke the screen by opening it rather gently. but anyone who says it's easy, obviously hasn't even tried.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not big on apple products, but I do appreciate that at least on the full size iPad, the glass/digitizer assembly is separate from the LCD, which means potentially much cheaper repairs. I just did my first glass replacement on an iPad 4 this week, and the part was $25-30. Replacement was a pain, so it's completely reasonable that repair places charge a big chunk of labor to reimburse them for the time, trouble, skill, and risk of the repair. A quick Google search shows $100 as a common repair price, which is IMO a good price, and in great contrast to $168 for the part alone on a device that retails at half the cost.

Timmayw21

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I found a place local to me that has the screens, they will sell they screen to me for $120 or install it for me for an additional $35. It really goes against my nature to pay someone to do what I could do myself, but in this case I am thinking that it could be the wisest route.

Thanks for everyone's help

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I replaced the screen on a 2012 last week. I actually had three that I was going to do. On two of them, it didn't work. One had no power at all after replacement. The second flashed green on half of the screen and the other half remained black. The third one I tried worked. I tried the same screen in all three. It's fairly easy to get it apart, but I think that in the first two, something in the motherboard fried.

Good luck...it's a lousy feeling when it breaks. I've made sure that I bought a replacement plan since breaking mine. The few bucks was worth it for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Futura Labs

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
You dont have to drop the Nexus 7 2 to destroy the screen Mine cracked simply because I carried it in my baggy Dickies shorts front pocket, I sat down, and when I reached to pocket to take it out, screen was shattered. Nexus 7 2013 is such a nice machine, but crazy fragile. Be warned!

Ardalista

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I fell asleep while using my 2013 N7, woke up a flicked the blankets and heard a crash as my tablet hit the concrete floor. To my surprise no damage was incurred, can't remember if that was before or after I installed the armour shield or not as it was a while ago now

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49