Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Home screens - why so many?

Dumb question
    I am confused as to why one would need more than 1 home screen, I see almost 5 home screens by default. My guess is that one wud use home screen for ease and frequent access of select apps. Any thing beyond that is any available in apps section, isn't it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Home screens - why so many?

Quote Originally Posted by heeemz View Post
    Dumb question
    I am confused as to why one would need more than 1 home screen, I see almost 5 home screens by default. My guess is that one wud use home screen for ease and frequent access of select apps. Any thing beyond that is any available in apps section, isn't it

I use them to organize my apps in categories. One for productivity apps. One for media consumption apps. One for tools and utility apps. And one for games.
    Thanked by:
    heeemz 

Dumb question

And then there are the multitude of widgets. Play around with the home screens, it can be pretty cool if you get a nice setup.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    heeemz 

I only use a couple of them and keep most of the apps in folders. Don't really use widgets much but I have one that displays the moon in it's current phase on my home screen.
    Thanked by:
    heeemz 

If you don't need or want so many home screens, you can also use a different launcher like Apex or Nova. That way you can customize the number of screens. I use Nova and love it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by 2:

personal preference!!!! if you want to customize use Nova or Apex launcher
    Thanked by:
    heeemz 

I use Nova Launcher and have dropped the amount of home screens to 3. I didn't need 5. On the main screen, I have a large clock and important apps I used. The other screens are widgets and additional apps I may use more frequently than others. As other members have mentioned, it's up to personal preference. For me since these home screens are about twice the space of a phone's I don't need so many.
    Thanked by:
    heeemz 
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.

I personally don't find multiple home screen useful at all. I don't use widgets because they don't offer anything I need, or not in the way I'd like. all I need is the date, time, battery and weather.....all of which are easily located at the top. my weather automatically is listed in the notification bar at all times, and I can tap it for more detailed info if needed.

as for apps, if I want to use them I either keep them on one desktop with icons, or click the apps button to browse through them and pick the one I want.

this to me, is far more efficient than multiple home screens.

just count the number of actions it takes to do something.

for example, you have to swipe between desktops, 1-2 swipes on either side. 4 swipes from one side to the other, and possibly add a tap or two to access applications on those other screens.

now count the number of actions it takes with just one home screen with icons or accessing the apps listing. it takes LESS actions to do what you need in general this way.

so ultimately, multiple home screens take more physical actions to access something than just using one home screen.

most widgets to me are useless, I'd just rather open the whole app. for example, pulse news app's widget is tiny and not very informative and limited. I'd rather just open the whole app and browse.

what we really need is the ability to assign an app to take up an entire home screen, or be more customizable than they are. there are very few app widgets that match the size of even the stock magazine widget, which is probably the only acceptable minimal size for most apps, functionally speaking.
    Thanked by:
    heeemz 

I, too, only use a single home screen on both my phone and tablet. As far as having widgets that fill the entire screen, with Nova (and probably other launchers?) you can resize any widget and make it fill an entire homescreen.
    Thanked by:
    heeemz 

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonEnr7 View Post
    I use Nova Launcher and have dropped the amount of home screens to 3. I didn't need 5. On the main screen, I have a large clock and important apps I used. The other screens are widgets and additional apps I may use more frequently than others. As other members have mentioned, it's up to personal preference. For me since these home screens are about twice the space of a phone's I don't need so many.
    This. Exactly what I did.

What really aggravates me is that you can't natively remove any of the home screens. The most you can do is remove any app shortcuts or widgets on them. In comparison, with Touchwiz (on my Note 2 and Note 10.1), I can remove home screens as I see fit. Not sure why that simple function hasn't been incorporated into vanilla Android yet.

On my tablet, I only use one homestretch. There's so much real estate that I can organize my apps in a few folders and the bottom bar with plenty of room to spare.

On my phone, I use three screens: leftmost for calendar and toggle widgets, center primarily as a bare screen with Beautiful Widget, and the rightmost for a variety of apps in folders.

Nexus 6, Midnight Blue
    Previously: Moto X (Ebony wood back, silver accents, black front) - Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Droid X - Blackberry Tour 9630 - Dumbphones
    Thanked by:
    heeemz 

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Joejoe View Post
    I personally don't find multiple home screen useful at all. I don't use widgets because they don't offer anything I need, or not in the way I'd like. all I need is the date, time, battery and weather.....all of which are easily located at the top. my weather automatically is listed in the notification bar at all times, and I can tap it for more detailed info if needed.

as for apps, if I want to use them I either keep them on one desktop with icons, or click the apps button to browse through them and pick the one I want.

for example, you have to swipe between desktops, 1-2 swipes on either side. 4 swipes from one side to the other, and possibly add a tap or two to access applications on those other screens.

now count the number of actions it takes with just one home screen with icons or accessing the apps listing. it takes LESS actions to do what you need in general this way.

so ultimately, multiple home screens take more physical actions to access something than just using one home screen.

most widgets to me are useless, I'd just rather open the whole app. for example, pulse news app's widget is tiny and not very informative and limited. I'd rather just open the whole app and browse.

what we really need is the ability to assign an app to take up an entire home screen, or be more customizable than they are. there are very few app widgets that match the size of even the stock magazine widget, which is probably the only acceptable minimal size for most apps, functionally speaking.

On my smartphone I have one screen simply for the Falcon widget for Twitter. So for me, reading Twitter is one swipe away. For you, it's at least two button taps and a wait of a few seconds and another press to get out of the app.

I use a number of widgets that eat up space so I really like have multiple home screen. Having to click an icon and launch an application to see mail, my calendars, check the weather, etc. feels archaic and is one of the reasons I left IOS.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by tflash View Post
    I use them to organize my apps in categories. One for productivity apps. One for media consumption apps. One for tools and utility apps. And one for games.
    Liked the idea of segregating home screens based on app type

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
    I use a number of widgets that eat up space so I really like have multiple home screen. Having to click an icon and launch an application to see mail, my calendars, check the weather, etc. feels archaic and is one of the reasons I left IOS.
    You mean clicking widgets instead of apps?

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

I use a mix of widgets and apps in folders....with single apps on 3 home screens. I found I will never use the 4th and 5th windows. I used them in the past.....but found I never needed them after using the tablet for several months.

Having the option to set home screens to only 3 would be a good thing for the next android version.......ummmmm chocolate ........yummy!

Um..most widgets don't require you to click them to see the time, weather or emails

Liked the idea of segregating home screens based on app type

I used to do that until I figured out how to create tabs in the Nova app drawer. Now I have tabs for games, media, and such in the app drawer. Its one more tap to do, but I think it looks pretty cool.

Posted from the incredible new Nexus 7
    Be sure and hit the thanks button if anything I said was helpful to you!

I think the goog. calendar widget is useful for showing the date and your appointments for that day without opening an app., but you did say most, not all are useless.

Dumb question

as others i have my main one, then calendar, and news widgets. (2 different screens) then i just got blank ones for showing my wallpaper off
    Current phone- AT&T galaxy S4 16gb. 32gb storage. otter box defender. running MF3 ota, rooted and safe strapped
    rom slots 1, used for flashing test roms. my daily driver is alpha v10 on rom slot 2
    old phones- Blackberry curve-> iphone 3gs->iphone 4s->galaxy S3->galaxy S4

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

I don't use widgets because they don't offer anything I need, or not in the way I'd like. all I need is the date, time, battery and weather
    I think having your appointment calendar is far more important than those bits of info...and a news widget as others mentioned. Others put their social feeds in widgets. Try a few of these and see how much you use them...

I don't click anything unless I want to see additional details.

For example with email I see the subject lines and only click if I want read the message. With weather the widget show me current temp, high and low for the day, and chance of rain. The calendar works the same way providing a nice overview of appointments for the day or week.

The bottom line is that widgets provide the 'at a glance' overview that is often all I need.

I use 3 home screens. The center one has my 'at a glance' widgets, like Google Now, Time, and Calendar. The right side has my power toggles and all of my commonly used apps in folders (excluding games). My left side is all games or apps supporting games. I wish I could remove the other 2 without using a different launcher, but it really doesn't bother me that much.

I just picked up my new Nexus 7 and am too annoyed by the extra home screens. I like being able to delete them, like on my Samsung Tab. For those of you that use Nova, do you find it causes any lag or sluggishness on your Nexus?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast