1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default OTG

Does your Nexus 7 support OTG? Mine doesn't seem to recognize my OTG cable or OTG card reader.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Live long and prosper.

Default Re: OTG

Works fine for me with Nexus Media importer, but I haven't used it with anything else.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Ahhhh...perhaps that's the missing link. TouchWiz has spoiled me. Thanks.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE
    Live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Ahhhh...perhaps that's the missing link. TouchWiz has spoiled me. Thanks.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE
    I tried to get an OTG cable from Amazon, but it didn't work. I gave up and found wireless solutions for most OTG things like mice and keyboards with Bluetooth.
    I think Asus should have included an OTG cable and The Goog should have put a file manager in Android.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I was very dissapointed because I just inferred OTG would be supported as well as it is by my Samsung gear. The more I use this Nexus 7 the more I understand why it is priced where it is and why Samsung tablets tend to cost what they do.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Live long and prosper.

Something as simple as this $3 OTG cable works fine. Just make sure you have the software such as Nexus Media Importer.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Oh, I have 2 OTG cables and an OTG card reader. Now I'm debating whether I want to pay $4 for that Nexus Media Importer app. I guess I can try it...there's that 15 minute return window.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Live long and prosper.

Personally, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Nexus media importer app and how it does its job on a non-rooted Nexus 7. I find it useful for backups and playing avi mp4 mkv movies directly from a flash drive that free's up space on the Nexus 7 for other use. It's the Awkwardness of the otg cable connected to the flash drive that makes it less than ideal. For just backing up, it's fine, but for continued usage, I'm still waiting on this product

to be delivered that'll make use of external extra storage that can be plugged in all the time using a micro-sd small flash drive that's a little more streamlined.

I know, it's more money and it's times like this that make you wish it just had a micro-sd slot already built in instead of going through all this hassle or dealing with the impractical 'in the cloud' nonsense, but it is what it is. I don't mind the tinkering, in fact I kind of enjoy that part; it's just as you pointed out, the extra costs that add to the original purchase cost for something that, in my opinion, should have been there to begin with. If Asus can do it on their tablets, then they were capable of adding a micro sd slot to the nexus 7, but Google has it's own business agenda ( subsidize now for a later online customer payoff ) and here we are.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

That looks quite nifty. Me likey.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Last edited by Haalcyon; 09-09-2013 at 07:11 PM.
    Live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I was very dissapointed because I just inferred OTG would be supported as well as it is by my Samsung gear. The more I use this Nexus 7 the more I understand why it is priced where it is and why Samsung tablets tend to cost what they do.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    I bought couple of OTG cable (USD 2/3) and it works fine for me, I used initially Nexus Picture viewer, worked fine. This app is free but has limited functionality. I have downloaded/purchased NMI now, OTG works quite well.

However, I would have preffered to pay little more for the device initially and have the cable included as a part of original package, instead of buying it separately.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by heeemz View Post
    I bought couple of OTG cable (USD 2/3) and it works fine for me, I used initially Nexus Picture viewer, worked fine. This app is free but has limited functionality. I have downloaded/purchased NMI now, OTG works quite well.

However, I would have preffered to pay little more for the device initially and have the cable included as a part of original package, instead of buying it separately.
    For me, it's not so much a out the cable as the functionality. On my Sammy and Sony tablet I can plug in my OTG cable to my HeadRoom headphone amp and have bit-perfect music playback. Not with the Nexus...and I'm not sure NMI woulda corrected that. I realize that's an esoteric usage scenario but one I use a lot and a part of the reason I returned the Nexus 7 for this Sony today. I like to tinker as much as the next geek but some $&@*! needs to just work...I mean it is 2013.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z Tablet "The Sleeper Dohickey“
    Live long and prosper.