Please Help! Rooting/device recognition problems! I'm panicking

bushybr0ws

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey, so I'm really panicking right now.

I tried to follow the tutorial on New Nexus 7: How to Root, Unlock Bootloader and Install Recovery - International Business Times this page to root my new nexus 7 that I purchased like a week ago. Everything was going fine. I unlocked the bootloader according to the tutorial. I installed the TWRP version 2.6.1.0, and that seemed to be going fine. I tried rebooting the device into normal mode through TWRP so I could put the Update SuperSU 1.43 onto the device storage, and this is where I started having issues. When rebooting through TWRP the device said "Hey wait we noticed you aren't rooted. Would you like to install supersu?" I said sure, thinking it could download it for me. I think it tried to "flash" (not sure what that means) supersu onto the device even though it isn't on its storage. Now I'm stuck in a booting loop (the rainbow x of death). I can go into the fastboot menu and access TWRP fine (recovery option) but it keeps asking me for a password that I didn't create. I can get to the bootloader.

From my computer I can use the fastboot command and it sees my device, but not adb. I can't access the internal storage of the device using file explorer. I open up devices and printers (I'm on a windows) and it shows my nexus, and I troubleshoot, it says there's a driver issue, and I can't do the fix because I don't have USB 2.0 or something. I set up the same thing on my roomate's computer but I can't get to the filesystem through his windows machine either.

I don't know what to do. I don't even really care if it's rooted at this point, but I want the device to work. I used "fix permissions" successfully from TWRP, and I don't know if that did anything.

What do I need to do to get this device working again? I will be active in this post. Please help me. I'm really stressed out. I can't afford a new one of these...

bushybr0ws

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I should mention that in my Android SDK thing that the tutorial had me set up I did install the google driver as well as the platform tools that it asked me to. I checked several sites to see if they were saying the same instructions. I thought I was being pretty careful.

bushybr0ws

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Somehow I can see my device using the adb command in the command prompt window. Can/should I "push" the supersu zip to the device? Would that help?

bushybr0ws

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
The only weird thing now is I don't see my nexus in the windows explorer program under "computer" like it used to be. That's how I would access the filesystem. Is there any other way to fix this? My device manager says "android device" using a driver from that guide I posted. I think it's called "Google nexus adb interface." I have a backup of one of my important apps that I need to copy over. I guess there's the adb push. lol idk what I'm doing.

UPDATE: fixed the file transfer issue by uninstalling temp drivers that I used for recovery and using the stock ones.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Got it anyway. Just had to remove and reinstall a driver.

I'm getting experience the hard way haha.

Well good to hear. Windows is kind of weird when it comes to drivers.

Posted via Samsung S3

Windows have 2 drivers for all nexus devices.

1. ADB drivers for using fastboot and doing all the flashing stuff.
2. MTP drivers for making the SD card show up on My Computer.

when you rooted it switched to ADB drivers and when you uninstalled the drivers it switched(installed) back to MTP drivers.

here is how to switch back and forth

Open Device Manager
Right Click "Android device" and click "Update device Software"
Click "Browse your Computer for driver Software"
Click "Let me Pick from a list of device drivers on my Computer"
Click Next, for the device list shown.
Select "Android ADB Interface" or "MTP [something something]" and click Next. It will give you a warning. click OK and Install.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513