Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    mbloflin's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

    Default Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Okay, so now the Nexus 7 LTE is finally for sale in the US. I have been waiting for this eagerly. I am with T-mobile so I thought I would check how exactly I could add this to my plan. Article after article often refers to a price for a tablet add-on of around $10. Well unless I am missing something, T-Mobile has no cheap add on plan whatsoever. First off, their website has no mention of the Nexus 7 LTE, no clear info on how it should be added or configured, and to top it off the best I can figure is to add the "Simple Choice Mobile Broadband" service:

    2.5 GB $30
    4.5 GB $40
    6.5 GB $50
    8.5 GB $60
    10.5 GB $70
    12.5 GB $80

    I have 4 lines and already feel completed over charged at $220 or so a month. No way in heck I am going to add $40 or $50 dollars more!

    What is the deal with them. Who in the world would get the currently offered at these prices for an add-on tablet device?

    I have also read that they are(?) blocking the use of your current phones SIM card (Nexus 4 in my case) for swapping in and out of a tablet device. .

    ...I do see where they may be offering a $10/month discount for a while, but still....
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Adding a tablet alongside an existing phone line starts at at additional $10/month, with the 500MB plan. You can read a bit about it in the AC post for T-Mobile's restructured plans, here: T-Mobile simplifies tablet and hotspot data prices, too | Android Central. The T-Mobile LTE Nexus 7 also comes with a month of free service (at least up to 2GB of data usage).

    The pricing will be justifiable to some and not to others. I can't speak to that as I don't typically purchase tablets with mobile connectivity not because of finances, rather due to my usage patterns.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Quote Originally Posted by mbloflin View Post
    Okay, so now the Nexus 7 LTE is finally for sale in the US. I have been waiting for this eagerly. I am with T-mobile so I thought I would check how exactly I could add this to my plan. Article after article often refers to a price for a tablet add-on of around $10. Well unless I am missing something, T-Mobile has no cheap add on plan whatsoever. First off, their website has no mention of the Nexus 7 LTE, no clear info on how it should be added or configured, and to top it off the best I can figure is to add the "Simple Choice Mobile Broadband" service:

    2.5 GB $30
    4.5 GB $40
    6.5 GB $50
    8.5 GB $60
    10.5 GB $70
    12.5 GB $80

    I have 4 lines and already feel completed over charged at $220 or so a month. No way in heck I am going to add $40 or $50 dollars more!

    What is the deal with them. Who in the world would get the currently offered at these prices for an add-on tablet device?

    I have also read that they are(?) blocking the use of your current phones SIM card (Nexus 4 in my case) for swapping in and out of a tablet device. .

    ...I do see where they may be offering a $10/month discount for a while, but still....
    How often do you anticipate carrying your tablet but not your phone? If that's not likely, consider getting the non-LTE model instead, using your phone as a hotspot, and saving yourself the extra data plan and $80 on the device. If you're concerned about battery drain on the phone, just pick up an inexpensive, compact battery pack to supplement your phone's battery.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    i can add any tablet to my att family plan for $10
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    i can add any tablet to my att family plan for $10
    Isn't the tablet locked to T-Mobile? If so, you cannot use it directly with ATT service unless you defeat that protocol rather then getting T-Mobile's consent - and unless I'm misrecalling the legislative change, that's no longer a grey legal area but a defined violation (since the early part of this year).
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    So is there no charge for tethering?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    Isn't the tablet locked to T-Mobile? If so, you cannot use it directly with ATT service unless you defeat that protocol rather then getting T-Mobile's consent - and unless I'm misrecalling the legislative change, that's no longer a grey legal area but a defined violation (since the early part of this year).
    The nexus 7 is fully unlocked and compatible with gsm/hspa/LTE. The us model includes LTE bands for T-Mobile at&t and Verizon.

    Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
  8. #8  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,442 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,516 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    I can add the 7 to my VZW plan for $10

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Just like the first Nexus 7, it comes unlocked. In the past, you could order it with an AT&T or T-Mobile sim. For now, the new Nexus 7 only comes with a T-Mobile sim but it is still fully unlocked.

    I prefer T-Mobile but still use AT&T on my Nexus 7.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    I can add the 7 to my VZW plan for $10

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Yes, you can add it for $10, but how much data does that buy you?
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Quote Originally Posted by markdek View Post
    So is there no charge for tethering?
    It varies by carrier and plan. On T-Mobile unlimited high speed data plans do not offer tethering at all of the unlimited data.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    It varies by carrier and plan. On T-Mobile unlimited high speed data plans do not offer tethering at all of the unlimited data.
    But then, all you need to do is use a phone like a Nexus 4 and tether. I used 26GB two months ago just from tethering when my DSL modem broke.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Vzw $10 to "access" shared shared data pool. You still need to actually pay for the data pool.

    Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 4
  14. #14  
    fabulas's Avatar

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    I have 2 T-Mobile phones (unlimited data) and the 3G Nexus 7. My data plan is $30, but $10 off for having a separate voice plan. My total cost for data is $20 for like 2.5gb. Not a bad price. For 2 phones with unlimited data and a data plan for my tablet I pay $149.85 including tax. This includes my company discount.
  15. #15  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,442 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,516 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Depends on your share ever thing plan. If you have 30gb between 3 phones and a tablet then it shares that days pool
    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Yes, you can add it for $10, but how much data does that buy you?


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Quote Originally Posted by markdek View Post
    So is there no charge for tethering?
    Not on T-Mo.

    Posted via Android Central App
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    The verizon share anything plan has no extra charge for tablets or any other device. But it is a tiered plane.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusGirlX View Post
    But then, all you need to do is use a phone like a Nexus 4 and tether. I used 26GB two months ago just from tethering when my DSL modem broke.
    Then you just haven't been caught yet. They do not allow tethering on the unlimited plans, only the limited ones.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Then you just haven't been caught yet. They do not allow tethering on the unlimited plans, only the limited ones.
    I must really be lucky then because I've been using my Nexus 4 to tether for six months.
    patruns and April920 like this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusGirlX View Post
    I must really be lucky then because I've been using my Nexus 4 to tether for six months.
    "Unlimited 4G data includes 2.5GB of tethering."
    From T-mobile's fine print.

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Then you just haven't been caught yet. They do not allow tethering on the unlimited plans, only the limited ones.
    ^^

    "Network Management: Data traffic of postpaid plan options with limited high-speed data allotments greater than 2GB will be prioritized over other currently offered plan options during periods of congestion. Service may be slowed, suspended, terminated, or restricted for misuse, abnormal use, interference with our network or ability to provide quality service to other users, or significant roaming."
    From T-mobile's fine print.

    If you're using 3rd party software to circumvent that, don't count on it lasting long (FoxFi was a popular means to that end, and iirc T-mo caught on and found a way to restrict against it). Even if not, their fine print provides them the right to throttle your data even on 'Unlimited 4g" services if, at their sole discretion, you're too far along the bell curve of their users. Some carriers choose to implement such a cap at a fixed point on those defined users when they reach a certain point in subsequent months, but some have in the past opted to shut those users to 2g completely until their usage falls back within tolerable parameters.

    The T-mo unlimited plans offering unlimited data but with a cap on how much of it goes across their HSPA+/LTE (4g) networks, beyond which cap data passes along their EDGE (2g) network, does permit tethering at no charge, but as I understand it (assuming the reps with whom I've spoken are correct) only the amount up to the 4g cap is tetherable.

    And bear in mind, T-mo EDGE ain't what it used to be (not that it was ever great). Whereas it used to (when it was 'current') provide median speeds in my market of 80-100Kbps, it now yields median speeds of 15-20Kbps. Slow enough that it will fail as often as not in efforts to load even simple webpages. Their decision to continue to present it as if it were even remotely close to its prior iteration is blatantly unethical from a business standpoint. Like a customer sitting down at a restaurant and ordering a Salmon dish shown on the special board "Fresh, just caught today," being upset when it's served and clearly spoiled, only to be advised after the fact by the server that they haven't gotten around to updating the sign in the past couple of weeks.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    I use far more than 2.5GB to tether each month. There was one month when I was tethering but had my computer connected to my WiFi. I was downloading some TV shows on iTunes on my computer. For some reason, my computer dumped my WiFi connection and connected to my Nexus 4 and in less than 30 minutes, used 5GB of data before I saw what was happening.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    The T-mo unlimited plans offering unlimited data but with a cap on how much of it goes across their HSPA+/LTE (4g) networks, beyond which cap data passes along their EDGE (2g) network, does permit tethering at no charge, but as I understand it (assuming the reps with whom I've spoken are correct) only the amount up to the 4g cap is tetherable.
    Yes, this was exactly what I was getting at. I have an unlimited (pre-paid) 4G plan, but have no need to tether as I rarely carry around my Nexus 10. Bought the Nexus 7 for my wife for her birthday. Was going to wait until the LTE version came out but after online chat with T-Mobile I found out her 2.5GB plan (also prepaid) included 2.5GB of tethering. That sealed it for me as she will not use that much.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusGirlX View Post
    I use far more than 2.5GB to tether each month. There was one month when I was tethering but had my computer connected to my WiFi. I was downloading some TV shows on iTunes on my computer. For some reason, my computer dumped my WiFi connection and connected to my Nexus 4 and in less than 30 minutes, used 5GB of data before I saw what was happening.
    Hmm... Three possibilitiesI can think of then:

    • Your account is somehow misconfigured (it's not uncommon when a rep provisions your plans to enter incorrect features/services/promotions, and this might have just been very, very much in your favor)
    • T-mo's system for implementing the cap only checks your status vs. said cap periodically and you hadn't hit it (though I doubt this one if you've used that far in excess specifically while tethering)
    • Your N4 was still connected to the WiFi when your computer dumped the connection, and acted as a 'pass-through' channeling data between your computer and the WiFi.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 LTE For T-Mobile Not Affordable

    I signed up for my accounts through the T-Mobile website so there was no rep who provisioned it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Watch ESPN app on New Nexus 7
    By trap49 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 09:07 PM
  2. To return or not return an emoji-less S4
    By BluZPhi1 in forum T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-11-2013, 07:01 AM
  3. looking for a FREE, good rss app
    By John Fungo in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 03:43 PM
  4. Nexus 7 wifi not working on first boot
    By KB rider in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2013, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

B