Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    I currently have a (2012) Nexus 7 (8GB) which has been functioning good enough for me, but it also has had an 'Oops!' moment or two so I am considering turning it in for an updated model when it next goes 'stupid'. (I have extended warranty)

    I was told by a savvy manager at my local Office Depot that Samsung is going to be making Nexus (7?) now instead of it being made by Asus. Doing a search on this I've come up 'lacking' to say the very least. I see that Nexus was updated to have a back camera though reviews say its not great really.

    Any chatter or thoughts on this would be appreciated!
  2. #2  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    8,515 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDino View Post
    I currently have a (2012) Nexus 7 (8GB) which has been functioning good enough for me, but it also has had an 'Oops!' moment or two so I am considering turning it in for an updated model when it next goes 'stupid'. (I have extended warranty)

    I was told by a savvy manager at my local Office Depot that Samsung is going to be making Nexus (7?) now instead of it being made by Asus. Doing a search on this I've come up 'lacking' to say the very least. I see that Nexus was updated to have a back camera though reviews say its not great really.

    Any chatter or thoughts on this would be appreciated!
    That's pure speculation. Is it impossible? No it isn't, considering Samsung made the Nexus 10 even though Asus made the Nexus 7 (2012/2013) and both models were released at the same time.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default

    I think ASUS did a good job, no issues on my end. Plus I think it's a little to early after the 2013 Nexus 7 launch to even have any concrete info other than pure speculation.

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    What caught my eye at Office Depot was that they were closing out the current stock (Nexus 2013 - 16 GB) so I asked about 'next' model/s. My initial concern was if Nexus line was going to be dropped which would leave me high and dry with my current very down level tablet.
    Thanks for your feedback and I will be reading all those that reply here too.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDino View Post
    What caught my eye at Office Depot was that they were closing out the current stock (Nexus 2013 - 16 GB) so I asked about 'next' model/s. My initial concern was if Nexus line was going to be dropped which would leave me high and dry with my current very down level tablet.
    Thanks for your feedback and I will be reading all those that reply here too.
    The 2013 Nexus 7 released at the end of July. It is the 2012 Nexus 7 16gb that is on sale for $179.91 at Office Depot. The 2013 versions are listed at full price of $229.99 (16gb) and $269.99 (32gb).

    I'm not sure why you're thinking the 2013 model is being "closed out"... It's barely 6 weeks old. I wouldn't expect to see a new Nexus 7 until Summer 2014, and I'm not sure any of us could say with any certainty who will manufacture it.

    Also I don't think that manager at Office Depot was too savvy at all. Unless he was speculating to you months ago, he has no idea what he's talking about, as the 2013 Nexus 7 is clearly manufactured by Asus.

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    Nexus 7 (2012) = Asus
    Nexus 7 (2013 = Asus
    Nexus 7 (2014) = no clue

    Samsung makes the current Nexus 10. Will they make the next Nexus 7 next year? No one knows, but my guess is no. Samsung is starting to test another O/S so they may be looking at other options that don't tie them so closely to Android. There are a lot of potential partners out there for Google and the next Nexus, including Motorola which is now owned by Google. My money is on LG, Asus, HTC and/or Motorola.......... but not until next year!
    Pat

    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  7. #7  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    8,515 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Nexus 7 (2012) = Asus
    Nexus 7 (2013 = Asus
    Nexus 7 (2014) = no clue

    Samsung makes the current Nexus 10. Will they make the next Nexus 7 next year? No one knows, but my guess is no. Samsung is starting to test another O/S so they may be looking at other options that don't tie them so closely to Android. There are a lot of potential partners out there for Google and the next Nexus, including Motorola which is now owned by Google. My money is on LG, Asus, HTC and/or Motorola.......... but not until next year!
    I can see an Android fork, not a whole new OS. Android has been a cash cow for Samsung, so I don't see them leaving the Android ecosystem anytime soon.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I can see an Android fork, not a whole new OS.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

    We already have that. It's called TouchWhiz. ;-)





    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    Office Depot probably read what we already read.

    Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 4
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I can see an Android fork, not a whole new OS. Android has been a cash cow for Samsung, so I don't see them leaving the Android ecosystem anytime soon.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Samsung Galaxy S4 shows off Tizen 3.0 | CNET UK
    Pat

    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    Quote Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
    The 2013 Nexus 7 released at the end of July. It is the 2012 Nexus 7 16gb that is on sale for $179.91 at Office Depot. The 2013 versions are listed at full price of $229.99 (16gb) and $269.99 (32gb).

    I'm not sure why you're thinking the 2013 model is being "closed out"... It's barely 6 weeks old. I wouldn't expect to see a new Nexus 7 until Summer 2014, and I'm not sure any of us could say with any certainty who will manufacture it.

    Also I don't think that manager at Office Depot was too savvy at all. Unless he was speculating to you months ago, he has no idea what he's talking about, as the 2013 Nexus 7 is clearly manufactured by Asus.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yeah I agree, manager probably didn't know too much about the recent technology releases. I have gone there before a few times and have no been impress by a store that should be knowledgeable of at least basic technology.

    Posted via Android Central App
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    My guess is the manager misrememebred a rumor from a couplel months ago that claimed ASUS would replace SAMSUNG as the maker of the next NEXUS 10.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  13. #13  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,508 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I can see an Android fork, not a whole new OS. Android has been a cash cow for Samsung, so I don't see them leaving the Android ecosystem anytime soon.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Correct, much like the kindle os, it is a fork. Samsung is naming it tizen, and from what I've seen if it, it looks like a touchwiz/miui cross.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

    Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

    Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Correct, much like the kindle os, it is a fork. Samsung is naming it tizen, and from what I've seen if it, it looks like a touchwiz/miui cross.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Please provide some links that indicate it is a fork of Android. I have not read that anywhere.
    Pat

    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  15. #15  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,508 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Please provide some links that indicate it is a fork of Android. I have not read that anywhere.
    Its no big secret, tizen has been in the rumor mill now for over a year, but let me find some to post up.

    Here's one, it talks about it not only forking from android, but also from various Intel and Nokia OS's. http://www.androidpit.com/samsung-tizen

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

    Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

    Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  16. #16  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,508 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    Here's a slightly more interesting article, that says Samsung and Intel are working on an android based os, but their unsure whether its tizen or something else.
    http://androidandme.com/2013/07/news...-fork-android/

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

    Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

    Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    "Tizen was actually created from the Samsung Linux Platform, and is a combination of various operating systems created by Intel and Nokia. Samsung is also eventually hoping to integrate Bada, their other mobile OS, into Tizen as well."

    I think we are using the term forking a little too loosely. This seems to be a Linux derivative that combines the features of a number of O/S's. My definition of forking is taking a single O/S. freezing it and taking out what you don't want and adding what you do. The Kindles and Nook Colors are perfect examples of this. They do not combine multiple systems to create a new one. The 2nd article you link kinda supports my definition.
    Pat

    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    One of the biggest reasons I got a Nexus 7 was cause of Asus making it and I loved the build quality of their transformer line. I on the other hand am not a fan of samsung made devices so I hope they stay away from the Nexus 7 and the 10 for that matter and let Asus do the tablets. Phone side, I dont really care since none of them do Verizon support so they arent really an option for me.
    HTC One of the Red variety
    Nexus 7 2013
    Droid DNA
    Droid Incredible (MP3 Player)
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Nexus to be made by Samsung?

    so I hope they stay away from the Nexus 7 and the 10 for that matter
    Samsung makes the Nexus 10.....
    Pat

    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 06:20 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 08:47 PM
  3. Moto X - how to email resized pictures?
    By axxfischer in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions