Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default what is a good way to connect nexus 7 to a tv?

which cables should i use?

i know about the chromecast.

Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: what is a good way to connect nexus 7 to a tv?

Get the Google Chromecast. Wireless.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Well, personally I went out on a limb and rather than spend the overinflated costs for the HDMI slimport adapter, I bought one through eBay directly from China and so far I'm pretty happy with the results, especially considering that they are being priced at 3 to 4 times for what I paid.

So, basically all you need is something like that or one of the other slimport adapters out there and an hdmi cable. Plug it in and the picture immediately appears on the big screen.
    Thanked by:

Thanks man. Was keeping an eye on one of these but didn't know if it actually worked.

Quote Originally Posted by callanish View Post
    Well, personally I went out on a limb and rather than spend the overinflated costs for the HDMI slimport adapter, I bought one through eBay directly from China and so far I'm pretty happy with the results, especially considering that they are being priced at 3 to 4 times for what I paid.

So, basically all you need is something like that or one of the other slimport adapters out there and an hdmi cable. Plug it in and the picture immediately appears on the big screen.
    Thanks for the link and confirmation that this adapter works. I'm always skeptical about non-OEM gear, especially when sent from overseas as generally it's not worth dealing with the international shipping/communication issues/delays should a product prove incompatible.

They have come down a bit in price, so you don't have to depend on ebay anymore. Here is an example:

Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    They have come down a bit in price, so you don't have to depend on ebay anymore. Here is an example:

DOH! Last I'd looked domestically was a couple of weeks ago, so I guess I jumped the gun a bit by buying the one linked above on ebay just a few minutes ago... Ah well, c'est la vie - no huge rush for it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    DOH! Last I'd looked domestically was a couple of weeks ago, so I guess I jumped the gun a bit by buying the one linked above on ebay just a few minutes ago... Ah well, c'est la vie - no huge rush for it, anyway.
    The only consolation I can offer is that the one on ebay comes with a usb connection. Even though the slimport adapter isn't supposed to drain battery life from the Nexus, streaming or watching a video from the device sent through the slimport will, so I use the usb connection with this

Helps with the battery drain, but any usb compatible power source can be used. At least you didn't pay any more money in comparison to the newegg version. Downside is shipping time. I can at least say the slimport I purchased from ebay continues to work well.....crosses fingers

The only consolation I can offer is that the one on ebay comes with a usb connection. Even though the slimport adapter isn't supposed to drain battery life from the Nexus, streaming or watching a video from the device sent through the slimport will, so I use the usb connection with this
    Actually in looking at the Newegg model, it can charge-through as well. You can see the input for a micro-usb charger in the side, and the description reads "Charges mobile device during playback using power adapter (not included)."

Ah well, if the one from China works, I can deal with the wait.

So much for me trying to cheer you up :-). I felt kind of responsible with you going down the direction I went, so I was trying to, in some way, justify it with that USB connection. Kind of a moot point now, but the heart was in the right place.

So much for me trying to cheer you up :-). I felt kind of responsible with you going down the direction I went, so I was trying to, in some way, justify it with that USB connection. Kind of a moot point now, but the heart was in the right place.
    Oh, you did - I'm at a happier point knowing I'm getting a functioning unit at a good price (even if with a slightly longer shipping time).

If you drive 25 miles to get to Chick-Fil-A only to find on your way back that a new one had opened only 2 miles away, you're still eating Chick-Fil-A. And come on... Who can complain about Chick-Fil-A?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    Ah well, if the one from China works, I can deal with the wait.
    Came in last Friday (9/20), so took just 9 days shipping from China to South Carolina - pretty fast, in my book. Works just fine, bringing up an image within a couple of seconds. Haven't connected a charger to see if it passes power, but the mirroring is perfect.

I bought and it works with an older HDMI cable only. I tried 3 cables. I would like to buy another cable cause the one that works is 25' long but have no idea what it will like?

Quote Originally Posted by gerrya View Post
    I bought and it works with an older HDMI cable only. I tried 3 cables. I would like to buy another cable cause the one that works is 25' long but have no idea what it will like?
    I'd say try the 25' HDMI cable and if it doesn't work... Return it.

Sent from where the wild things are.

My mistake, 25' cable is the only HDMI cable I have that works, I tried a couple other 6' cables and none of those worked. I would like to get a 6' cable but not sure what to get. Whats weird is the 25' cable that works is an older 1.3a HDMI.

Chromcast for $30 is working great for me! Love it so far.

Posted via Android Central App

I'd recommend Chromecast as well or Skifta if your TV is a smart tv. Although you'll need content from your phone or computer to play. I only use it at home for I can steam content from my desktop downstairs to my smart TV upstairs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks! Just ordered one for my N7 FHD.

J

I have the Chromecast, but that does about 3 things. If you have your own movies on your Nexus the only way to do it is with the Slimport

I have the Chromecast, but that does about 3 things. If you have your own movies on your Nexus the only way to do it is with the Slimport
    The Google Play Movies & TV app can also play your own movies. Is there a cast option in the app yet? I don't have any movies on my device at the moment nor am I near my Chromecast dongle to check.

Actually, here is the answer (yes):
    Pat
    Chromecast

duct tape
    Thanked by:

The Google Play Movies & TV app can also play your own movies. Is there a cast option in the app yet? I don't have any movies on my device at the moment nor am I near my Chromecast dongle to check.

Actually, here is the answer (yes):
    I tried casting 2 of my movies that I added from computer and it will not cast them. It takes you to the gallery app and plays through that. I would rather play through the Slimport in a hotel, has to be easier than trying to get the Chromecast to work on there Wifi and then hope its fast enough.

Chromecast is the way to go...bro.

I tried casting 2 of my movies that I added from computer and it will not cast them. It takes you to the gallery app and plays through that. I would rather play through the Slimport in a hotel, has to be easier than trying to get the Chromecast to work on there Wifi and then hope its fast enough.
    Are you using the Play Movies 7 TV app? It will look in the gallery, but should actually use the app to play....
    Pat
    Chromecast

I see Amazon has the Slimport adapter for $30. I don't know if that's a good price or not. Amazon.com: SlimPort HDMI Adapter - Connect MyDP enabled mobile devices to any TV: Cell Phones & Accessories
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast