Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Nexus 7 froze up, turned off. Now it won't turn back on

I was playing around on my Nexus 7 (2013) today. I was scrolling through my Plume app when my Nexus 7 became unresponsive. Tapping the capacitive buttons did nothing, nor did trying to scroll around on the screen or pressing the power button/volume keys. 10-15 seconds later, the screen went black and I'm assuming it shut off completely. Now it won't even turn on. I tried powering it on when connected to the charger; still nothing.

My Nexus 7 is completely stock; non-rooted with no custom ROMS or anything. Can anyone offer and advice on what to do? Or why this happened and how to prevent it?

Default Re: Nexus 7 froze up, turned off. Now it won't turn back on

I have the original Nexus but should still be the same idea. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. You should see the Google logo appear. Let me know if this doesn't work.
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I ended up charging it for a little and then had to hold down the power button for about 15 seconds before it turned back on. Thanks! Do you know what is causing this to happen?

I've seen an issue where the battery has actually pulled out a little. I don't know if ifixtit.com has created a post on the new Nexus but on the older model you could pull off the back cover and plug the battery in again. That seemed to solve the issues I've seen.
    Thanked by:

I came to the forum to report something very similar to what zackmack has described. I was playing a Scrabble-like game with my Nexus 7 (2013) when suddenly the game froze. I figured it was a problem with the game, even though it had never frozen like that before. But it wasn't just the game--NOTHING worked. I couldn't even power off the device. The only thing I could do was turn off the screen. Like zackmack, I have a pretty plain vanilla Nexus 7--it's not rooted, I haven't tried any hacks or downloaded any iffy apps. Moreover, my battery was almost fully charged. After reading this thread, I tried charging it for a brief period (it went from 97% to 98%) and then held down the power button for a while until eventually Google appeared, and then the multi-colored X, and then all was well. At least for now. My confidence is really shaken. I'm almost 100% sure that the battery has not come dislodged in any way. The device has not fallen or been hit by anything or had any unusual pressure put on it. I'm hoping this experience was just a fluke, but the fact that it happened both to me and to zackmack makes me rather uneasy. Is there anything I should do?

FOLLOW-UP: I'm happy to say that it's now almost 9 months since I posted the above message, and apparently it was a one-time fluke (knock on wood, salt over my shoulder ).
    Last edited by cybernutte; 05-09-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Default Re: Nexus 7 turned off. Now it won't turn back on

I have a Nexus 7 (2012) which won't turn on. I charged it overnight a couple of nights ago, and was using it yesterday morning. I put it down for an hour or so, and when I went back to it, it was dead.
    I tried holding down the power button for 15 seconds but still nothing. I then tried charging it for an hour, unplugging it and then immediately plugging it back in, then holding the start button again, but still nothing. Finally, I tried charging it overnight last night, then unplugging it and plugging it back in. Held down the start button for more than 2 minutes, but still nothing!
    Tried then taking the back off, not sure what I was looking for, but everything looked fine.

Is there anything else you advise me trying? I'm at a loss now.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Try holding down the power and volume Down button for an extended period of time. Mine did the same thing but eventually booted.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

My Nexus 7 literally froze. Overnight in my car. So, i plugged it in and charged it fully. When i did so, the screen flashed and then remained a different shade of black, the kind that says "I'm on and have power, but there is no way you will ever use me again! mwahahahaha". So, I unplugged it after several hours, and it immediately lost that black-but-not-off screen. So I held down the power button for longer than 30 seconds, and it was unresponsive. After that, I held down the power and volume down button. This did not work either. Any other tips?
    Thanks,
    Grace

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grace Monger View Post
    My Nexus 7 literally froze. Overnight in my car. So, i plugged it in and charged it fully. When i did so, the screen flashed and then remained a different shade of black, the kind that says "I'm on and have power, but there is no way you will ever use me again! mwahahahaha". So, I unplugged it after several hours, and it immediately lost that black-but-not-off screen. So I held down the power button for longer than 30 seconds, and it was unresponsive. After that, I held down the power and volume down button. This did not work either. Any other tips?
    Thanks,
    Grace
    Plug it in for a while (15min?) and leave it in the charger, then try holding the power button for closer to a minute...

I think you guys are using the wrong power lead i had the same problem ive been trying all this "holding down the power button" didnt work then i thought it must be a power issue so i change the lead i was using and it started to show a battery / charging icon and now its working so try using your original power charger and lead or get the correct power charger i think its 1000mA
    Last edited by simon stannard; 12-20-2013 at 06:18 PM.

I think you guys are using the wrong power lead i had the same problem ive been trying all this "holding down the power button" didnt work then i thought it must be a power issue so i change the lead i was using and it started to show a battery / charging icon and now its working so try using your original power charger and lead or get the correct power charger i think its 1000mA

Post Re: Nexus 7 froze up, turned off. Now it won't turn back on

I was playing spider game on my Nexus 7 Tab and after some time got a message that spider is not responding and later on I pressed the button repot. Thereafter all of a sudden my Tab got switched off. I tried every possible method I.e long pressing low volume button but nothing has worked. Please help.

Welcome to Android Central! You typically need to press and hold the Power button not the volume button. Check out this Google support page, see if any of it helps: https://support.google.com/googlepla.../3337561?hl=en
    Thanked by:

Post Re: Nexus 7 froze up, turned off. Now it won't turn back on

My tablet has been shutting off for no reason and i don't know what to do . This happen already 2 times . The first time i let it died out for two days and then charged it and it came back on with out a problem,. This time it did the same thing and now it wont came back on for nothing i look at the back of the tablet to make sure everything fine. It looks good. but is there a reset button that i can push so it can restart the tablet. if so will this make me loose all my data ???. If there not a restart button what should i do to get this fix ??

Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried the link just above your post?

this has happened to me before.

it randomly shuts down. and i have to press on the power button for extra long time in order to turn it on again.

then asus had to replace the motherboard.

Smile Re: Nexus 7 froze up, turned off. Now it won't turn back on

Thanks so much-- mine was frozen too. I held down the volume & the start buttons @ the same time...did the trick!

thanks

yes, this thing happened to me before. after it randomly shuts down, i have to press on the power button for a long time in order for it to be turned on again.

you can probably chat with asus online, then send it for repair. but their repair don't seem to solve all problems. i have sent it for 4 repairs already.

Question Re: Nexus 7 froze up, turned off. Now it won't turn back on

I have a nexus 7 rooted and everything I have mutirom and it boots for 2 secs. then shuts down its been doing the same thing for 2 hrs. help!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zackmack7 View Post
    I ended up charging it for a little and then had to hold down the power button for about 15 seconds before it turned back on. Thanks! Do you know what is causing this to happen?
    Was your battery low? Never let it run all the way down.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app
    Not every device nor provider is for everyone. So choose carefully before you put your money down. Then live with your decision.

T-Mobile Note 4
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Asus Transformer Pad TF300T
    Chromecast
    Gear 2 Neo
    Gear S

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Bell1 View Post
    I have a nexus 7 rooted and everything I have mutirom and it boots for 2 secs. then shuts down
    Sounds like you need to try reloading the stock firmware https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images (there are installation instructions lower down on that page).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

I have a similar problem. My 2013 Nexus 7 has run out of battery and now nothing work.
    I have try to follow the nexus help guideline on google website but nothing worked, i also try to push and hold buttons but still not work. It's been now a week that my tablet ran out of battery and i try to charge it few times, with the original usb cable and with my nexus wireless charger but nothing work.
    I have unlock my bootloader but the rom is still stock android 4.4.2 and no root.
    (sorry for my bad english but it isn't easy to explain for me ^^)

Can it be fix ? Should i buy a new battery? a new tablet ?

Default Re: GalaxyNexus froze up, turned off. Now it won't turn back on

I was using it and then it just turned off. I have tried everything from taking the battery and sim out. To trying to reset it. Nothing happens when I try to reset it. I have held the volume buttons and power button down for minutes and it still won't do anything.The only thing that pops up is the battery symbol when its plugged in. Can someone help please?

Morggy and Lp84: Try just holding the power button and volume up button. That has been working wonders for me.

If the battery symbol comes on, let it charge for a while then try again.

Good luck.

Sent from my "no longer 120° or battery guzzling" Sprint Galaxy Nexus, thanks to help from the AC forum

Default Re: GalaxyNexus froze up, turned off. Now it won't turn back on

Quote Originally Posted by Morggy14 View Post
    I was using it and then it just turned off. I have tried everything from taking the battery and sim out. To trying to reset it. Nothing happens when I try to reset it. I have held the volume buttons and power button down for minutes and it still won't do anything.The only thing that pops up is the battery symbol when its plugged in. Can someone help please?

Are you using the charger and cable that came with the tablet. The charger is different that the ones you use for a phone (more amperage). And make sure you charge it for an hour or so before you hold down the power button.
    gnr_2 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast