Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

Interesting....

I have a N7 LTE order "pending" (ordered on Wednesday) and I had planned to ditch my smartphone and just use this for my main device and keep an old Tmo Moto Razr (2005) activated on a pre-paid plan for phone emergencies.

Was looking forward to lowering my device payment on my VZW share everything plan from $40/month (smartphone) to $10/month (tablet). Hopefully by the time my free month of T-Mobile N7 data expires, VZW will have this figured out.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

I am not sure this is looking to good at the moment. I just got off the phone with a rep at the play store, and also went through hi supervisor. Both told me that the LTE is not meant to work on Verizon and any advertising to that effect would be an error. I then called Verizon. I was able to finally get to someone who sounded like he was fairly high up the food chain in tech support. He too stated that at this time Verizon does not support this device, but admitted that there are ways to Backdoor it. He through out all types of cautions, saying that the Backdoor methods probably would not work for to long, but I'm guessing he has to say that. He did say that he is nearly certain that in the coming weeks or months the device will be supported, but not as of yet. Frustrating....

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Droid View Post
    Interesting....

I have a N7 LTE order "pending" (ordered on Wednesday) and I had planned to ditch my smartphone and just use this for my main device and keep an old Tmo Moto Razr (2005) activated on a pre-paid plan for phone emergencies.
    That was exactly my plan! I want to ditch my smartphone too. Just use the N7 with the $30/month 2GB data plan (on VZ) with an old flip phone on a pre-paid plan (I'm going with PagePlus Cellular).

I don't have "friends" where I can swap SIM cards, so I may have to just give T-Mobile a shot and hope they have good reception around me.

Quote Originally Posted by ew800 View Post
    Hoping others can tell me how screwed I might be. I have ordered the LTE with the intention of using it on Verizon. It sounds like from what I am reading, Verizon isn't going to sell me a SIM and I don't think I have one from another device unless an old Blackberry 9930 would work. Am I completely screwed or do I have options? Any chance we may see Verizon "suppport" this in the coming day?

Thanks!
    Sounds like it's just a matter of finding an "authorized reseller" if a corporate store stonewalls you because it's not in their system properly yet.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Just went back to watch this to make sure I wasn't crazy...

Pick up at 12:30...

Thanked by:
    cdf3 likes this.

Global Posts
    644 Global Posts

Seems to say it all.

If it doesn't work with with Verizon I will be sending both of mine back.

I had the same experience at a Verizon store on Wednesday. They would not activate it, as their system, rejected the device. Nor would they give me a pre-activated SIM. They told me I would have to buy a tablet from them, or sign up for a phone plan.

I went to AT&T and was out to door in minutes. With faster speeds than Verizon. Luckily, coverage is solid where I tend to go. But I had wanted to give Verizon a try.

I am not sure this is looking to good at the moment. I just got off the phone with a rep at the play store, and also went through hi supervisor. Both told me that the LTE is not meant to work on Verizon and any advertising to that effect would be an error. I then called Verizon. I was able to finally get to someone who sounded like he was fairly high up the food chain in tech support. He too stated that at this time Verizon does not support this device, but admitted that there are ways to Backdoor it. He through out all types of cautions, saying that the Backdoor methods probably would not work for to long, but I'm guessing he has to say that. He did say that he is nearly certain that in the coming weeks or months the device will be supported, but not as of yet. Frustrating....
    What's really annoying is that this should simply be a matter of activating a Sim card and associating it with a plan. I don't know what's so hard about that. They shouldn't have to "support" anything but the sim card.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I started watching that video for a while. Man, I sure forgot how much space content is lost at the expense of that stupid nav/button bar...especially in landscape mode.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiesteve View Post
    What's really annoying is that this should simply be a matter of activating a Sim card and associating it with a plan. I don't know what's so hard about that. They shouldn't have to "support" anything but the sim card.
    Agreed, 100%.

I can echo this as well. Went into the Verizon store and they acted like I was stupid and had no idea what I was talking about. Went across the street to AT&T and walked out within 10 minutes. I did a speed test on this bad boy with AT&T LTE and got 47down 21up! Insanity!

If you aren't using a share data plan, both ATT and Verizon have similar pricing.

This is my personal opinion, but if you are in an area with equal LTE coverage between Verizon and ATT, go with ATT.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    I can echo this as well. Went into the Verizon store and they acted like I was stupid and had no idea what I was talking about. Went across the street to AT&T and walked out within 10 minutes. I did a speed test on this bad boy with AT&T LTE and got 47down 21up! Insanity!
    I really don't think Verizon has yet figured out how to deal with sim cards yet. They still seem very stuck on provisioning a device rather than a sim card, which is a dumb way of managing accounts.

It seems like they've moved backwards from even a year ago. I just checked online to go through the process of switching to my old phone. They used to have you just enter the sim card number. Now, they have you select your old device or enter the imei. I really don't get it. Just when you think they straightened out their business processes and operations, they fubar it again.

Global Posts
    991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Phone: LG G2, Nexus 4
    Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013), Xoom
    Retired: Blackberry Storm and 2, Droid X and X2, Galaxy Nexus

The difference is, for me, it's only $10/month to add it to my VZW share everything plan that already has enough data for the 8 of us on it. I don't want to pay $30/month for a 3GB plan on AT&T. I'll start out with the free month from TMobile and IF VZW doesn't have this figured out by then, MAYBE I'll try the 250MB $15/month AT&T plan to test out their coverage. If VZW still doesn't have it figured out by then, I'll re weigh my options.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

The difference is, for me, it's only $10/month to add it to my VZW share everything plan that already has enough data for the 8 of us on it. I don't want to pay $30/month for a 3GB plan on AT&T. I'll start out with the free month from TMobile and IF VZW doesn't have this figured out by then, MAYBE I'll try the 250MB $15/month AT&T plan to test out their coverage. If VZW still doesn't have it figured out by then, I'll re weigh my options.
    I am exactly in the same boat you are - want to add to the Share Everything Plan for $10. I did reach what sounded like a knowledgeable tech today that sounded like this would be resolved in the coming weeks or months, but no guarantee. It will be VERY frustrating if they don't get this resolved, especially after they advertised that it would work on Verizon. Like you, I will use the T-mobile deal for 30 days and really hope we know something positive by then.

Shared plan this is a better choice for you. A shame that Verizon likes to drag their feet on everything.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Shared plan this is a better choice for you. A shame that Verizon likes to drag their feet on everything.
    I just hope this is a temporary situation. What do you guys think - they will resolve this or are we permanently out of luck?

I just hope this is a temporary situation. What do you guys think - they will resolve this or are we permanently out of luck?
    Google stated LTE for Verizon, it probably is a hiccup.
    Darth Spock likes this.

I'm sorry to hear that guys, but here's a video from droid life. Maybe it help's. It shows N7 on vzw lte. I think they use Sim adapter

Edit: sorry didn't see someone posted this already

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
    I started watching that video for a while. Man, I sure forgot how much space content is lost at the expense of that stupid nav/button bar...especially in landscape mode.
    That is in no way relevant to the topic of this thread. Seriously, just stop with this.

I dont understand why people on VZW share plan dont just save from $$$ and get a wifi only Nexus , and use the Mobile Hot Spot - wifi on the VZW phone ?

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by taxiron1 View Post
    I dont understand why people on VZW share plan dont just save from $$$ and get a wifi only Nexus , and use the Mobile Hot Spot - wifi on the VZW phone ?
    Drains phone battery faster and is way less convenient.
    Thanked by:
    hokiesteve likes this.

I know it's not the most elegant solution but why not pick up a Verizon LTE iPad at an Apple Store, activate it as part of your shared plan, swap the sim to your Nexus (using a microsim to nanosim adapter) and return the iPad. Apple doesn't have any restocking fees so the only expense is being out the cost of the iPad for a few days while the return processes.

I just received the tablet a couple of days ago. I took it to Verizon yesterday to get the cellular hooked up and they said these types of devices are not registered on their system! When I got home, I called Google and they said that indeed the Nexus 7.2 does not work on Verizon!!!!! Also the advertisement on Google Play has changed to say T-Mobile only! I told them this was false advertising and that was the only reason I bought this device. They all but admitted that the advertising on their website the previous week indeed said that it would work on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint. And they said they could not guarantee they would pay the return shipping despite that the reason I am returning is not my fault!!!! I am furious.

In any case, I am going to return it becuase I paid extra for the cellular component and there is no point to having done that--Unfortunately, I do need a tablet that will work on Verizon for business reasons. Nor do I want to fool with a "workaround" The only device of similar size available on Verizon is the Ipad mini, so I am going to get that instead. But I guess I should probably wait until the new one comes out--hoperfully next month.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tulsa002 View Post
    I just received the tablet a couple of days ago. I took it to Verizon yesterday to get the cellular hooked up and they said these types of devices are not registered on their system! When I got home, I called Google and they said that indeed the Nexus 7.2 does not work on Verizon!!!!! Also the advertisement on Google Play has changed to say T-Mobile only! I told them this was false advertising and that was the only reason I bought this device. They all but admitted that the advertising on their website the previous week indeed said that it would work on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint. And they said they could not guarantee they would pay the return shipping despite that the reason I am returning is not my fault!!!! I am furious.

In any case, I am going to return it becuase I paid extra for the cellular component and there is no point to having done that--Unfortunately, I do need a tablet that will work on Verizon for business reasons. Nor do I want to fool with a "workaround" The only device of similar size available on Verizon is the Ipad mini, so I am going to get that instead. But I guess I should probably wait until the new one comes out--hoperfully next month.
    Regretfully, I am becoming less and less optimistic that this issue will be resolved. I've made a couple of calls to both Google and Verizon. My last call to Google I was told by a Rep Supervisor that originally they thought the device would be supported by Verizon, but now there is some sort of conflict between Verizon and Google that may or may not be able to be resolved. The rep did not sound very optimistic at all. I have an LTE arriving tomorrow, which looks like it will need to go back as well.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast