Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Same thing. I got to the VZW store today and the rep there gave me a bunch of yada yada about this not being in their system. I got stubborn and a smarter rep there looked at my account and found that I had previously registered a sim for one of their hotspot thingies which I haven't used for about two years, and somehow she did some jiggery-pokery trickery and put in a sim from the other thingy and made it work On my VZW account (shared data) where I see my DROID, I Pad, IPhone, etc., there is now a blank unnamed device which is my Nexus 7 LTE. Something tells me that in a week or two VZW will make this work without kluging things around; their alternative is to lose customers to T-Mobile. That will focus their mind I think. But for now, however, I have 4G LTE connectivity on my Nexus 7.

Which goes to show you, not supported doesn't mean not working.

monofurioso

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Which goes to show you, not supported doesn't mean not working.

Exactly, LTE on Verizon works, it's just not (apparently) supported. This despite there being Verizon carrier options baked into the Nexus. The Google Play tech rep had me on the phone for quite a while to send some flags up the chain of command and ultimately was only able to tell me it 'might' work but it's not supported by Google. And as of yesterday, my two corp account Verizon reps told me that it's not on their supported list. Hopefully it clears up. I was able to get a SIM from another device and swap it in and confirmed it works (as have many others). However if you're just an average customer w/ Verizon service and take it to the store to get a SIM you're likely in for a large PITA. It's too bad it's simply not supported officially.

chrisdiaz73

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
just find someone with a verizon device and activate a sim with it, then swap devices....I have done this a bunch of times. You can even buy sim cards off of ebay or amazon...

ew800

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hoping others can tell me how screwed I might be. I have ordered the LTE with the intention of using it on Verizon. It sounds like from what I am reading, Verizon isn't going to sell me a SIM and I don't think I have one from another device unless an old Blackberry 9930 would work. Am I completely screwed or do I have options? Any chance we may see Verizon "suppport" this in the coming day?

Thanks!

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Interesting....

I have a N7 LTE order "pending" (ordered on Wednesday) and I had planned to ditch my smartphone and just use this for my main device and keep an old Tmo Moto Razr (2005) activated on a pre-paid plan for phone emergencies.

Was looking forward to lowering my device payment on my VZW share everything plan from $40/month (smartphone) to $10/month (tablet). Hopefully by the time my free month of T-Mobile N7 data expires, VZW will have this figured out.

ew800

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure this is looking to good at the moment. I just got off the phone with a rep at the play store, and also went through hi supervisor. Both told me that the LTE is not meant to work on Verizon and any advertising to that effect would be an error. I then called Verizon. I was able to finally get to someone who sounded like he was fairly high up the food chain in tech support. He too stated that at this time Verizon does not support this device, but admitted that there are ways to Backdoor it. He through out all types of cautions, saying that the Backdoor methods probably would not work for to long, but I'm guessing he has to say that. He did say that he is nearly certain that in the coming weeks or months the device will be supported, but not as of yet. Frustrating....

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Interesting....

I have a N7 LTE order "pending" (ordered on Wednesday) and I had planned to ditch my smartphone and just use this for my main device and keep an old Tmo Moto Razr (2005) activated on a pre-paid plan for phone emergencies.

That was exactly my plan! I want to ditch my smartphone too. Just use the N7 with the $30/month 2GB data plan (on VZ) with an old flip phone on a pre-paid plan (I'm going with PagePlus Cellular).

I don't have "friends" where I can swap SIM cards, so I may have to just give T-Mobile a shot and hope they have good reception around me.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hoping others can tell me how screwed I might be. I have ordered the LTE with the intention of using it on Verizon. It sounds like from what I am reading, Verizon isn't going to sell me a SIM and I don't think I have one from another device unless an old Blackberry 9930 would work. Am I completely screwed or do I have options? Any chance we may see Verizon "suppport" this in the coming day?

Thanks!

Sounds like it's just a matter of finding an "authorized reseller" if a corporate store stonewalls you because it's not in their system properly yet.

John Wiskowski

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same experience at a Verizon store on Wednesday. They would not activate it, as their system, rejected the device. Nor would they give me a pre-activated SIM. They told me I would have to buy a tablet from them, or sign up for a phone plan.

I went to AT&T and was out to door in minutes. With faster speeds than Verizon. Luckily, coverage is solid where I tend to go. But I had wanted to give Verizon a try.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure this is looking to good at the moment. I just got off the phone with a rep at the play store, and also went through hi supervisor. Both told me that the LTE is not meant to work on Verizon and any advertising to that effect would be an error. I then called Verizon. I was able to finally get to someone who sounded like he was fairly high up the food chain in tech support. He too stated that at this time Verizon does not support this device, but admitted that there are ways to Backdoor it. He through out all types of cautions, saying that the Backdoor methods probably would not work for to long, but I'm guessing he has to say that. He did say that he is nearly certain that in the coming weeks or months the device will be supported, but not as of yet. Frustrating....

What's really annoying is that this should simply be a matter of activating a Sim card and associating it with a plan. I don't know what's so hard about that. They shouldn't have to "support" anything but the sim card.

Posted via Android Central App

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Just went back to watch this to make sure I wasn't crazy...

Pick up at 12:30...

Nexus 7 & Chromecast Press Event - 7/24/13 - YouTube
I started watching that video for a while. Man, I sure forgot how much space content is lost at the expense of that stupid nav/button bar...especially in landscape mode.

What's really annoying is that this should simply be a matter of activating a Sim card and associating it with a plan. I don't know what's so hard about that. They shouldn't have to "support" anything but the sim card.
Agreed, 100%.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I can echo this as well. Went into the Verizon store and they acted like I was stupid and had no idea what I was talking about. Went across the street to AT&T and walked out within 10 minutes. I did a speed test on this bad boy with AT&T LTE and got 47down 21up! Insanity!

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If you aren't using a share data plan, both ATT and Verizon have similar pricing.

This is my personal opinion, but if you are in an area with equal LTE coverage between Verizon and ATT, go with ATT.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I can echo this as well. Went into the Verizon store and they acted like I was stupid and had no idea what I was talking about. Went across the street to AT&T and walked out within 10 minutes. I did a speed test on this bad boy with AT&T LTE and got 47down 21up! Insanity!

I really don't think Verizon has yet figured out how to deal with sim cards yet. They still seem very stuck on provisioning a device rather than a sim card, which is a dumb way of managing accounts.

It seems like they've moved backwards from even a year ago. I just checked online to go through the process of switching to my old phone. They used to have you just enter the sim card number. Now, they have you select your old device or enter the imei. I really don't get it. Just when you think they straightened out their business processes and operations, they fubar it again.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
The difference is, for me, it's only $10/month to add it to my VZW share everything plan that already has enough data for the 8 of us on it. I don't want to pay $30/month for a 3GB plan on AT&T. I'll start out with the free month from TMobile and IF VZW doesn't have this figured out by then, MAYBE I'll try the 250MB $15/month AT&T plan to test out their coverage. If VZW still doesn't have it figured out by then, I'll re weigh my options.

ew800

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The difference is, for me, it's only $10/month to add it to my VZW share everything plan that already has enough data for the 8 of us on it. I don't want to pay $30/month for a 3GB plan on AT&T. I'll start out with the free month from TMobile and IF VZW doesn't have this figured out by then, MAYBE I'll try the 250MB $15/month AT&T plan to test out their coverage. If VZW still doesn't have it figured out by then, I'll re weigh my options.

I am exactly in the same boat you are - want to add to the Share Everything Plan for $10. I did reach what sounded like a knowledgeable tech today that sounded like this would be resolved in the coming weeks or months, but no guarantee. It will be VERY frustrating if they don't get this resolved, especially after they advertised that it would work on Verizon. Like you, I will use the T-mobile deal for 30 days and really hope we know something positive by then.