Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 151
Like Tree11Likes
  1. #51  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    This thread over XDA has a bit more information.() The problem is apparently a technical problem with their provisioning system. Verizon's provisioning system only provisions IMEIs that start with 99000, which are devices that contain a cdma radio. Given that the Nexus 7 doesn't have a CDMA radio, Verizon's system is not taking the IMEI as valid. From the sounds of it, Verizon still uses their CDMA network for activation of devices. I really hope that Verizon is willing to look for a work around for this. Otherwise, this issue may not get resolved until after they've deployed VoLTE and are moving towards LTE/GSM devices without CDMA radios. CDMA may have been a better wireless voice technology, but the way it was implemented really has made it horrible for device and system interoperability. I'm seriously ready for CDMA2000 to burn in a massive fire.
    Darth Spock likes this.
  2. #52  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Why are people getting angry and returning the device? Have you forgotten what country we live in? Since when does a company dictate what we are allowed to use? As said previously in this thread, Verizon is violating the open access rules of the 700 MHz spectrum licenses it purchased. The FCC fined Verizon a year ago when the FCC saw that Verizon was charging customers an additional $20 for tethering devices to their phones. Verizon paid the fine and now we are allowed to tether devices as we please. This is simple: The Nexus 7 has a 700MHz antenna. Verizon owns the 700MHz spectrum. I read the 700MHz open access requirements. Verizon is breaking the rules and they will change. OR they will get busted again, pay millions in fines, and then change. Either way, Verizon will change. The device is NOT at fault. Verizon's system won't accept the IMEI because the numbers don't fit? Seriously??? Anyone who has manipulated software knows how easy a fix that is. I'm going to call Verizon tomorrow with my Nexus 7 in hand and I will, mark my words, have a $10/month tablet on my plan before I hang up the phone.
  3. #53  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Buy a verizon tablet, activate it, pull out the SIM, then return the tablet and say you prefer the Nexus. You have a working SIM for your NEXUS.

    Quote Originally Posted by howardv View Post
    That was exactly my plan! I want to ditch my smartphone too. Just use the N7 with the $30/month 2GB data plan (on VZ) with an old flip phone on a pre-paid plan (I'm going with PagePlus Cellular).

    I don't have "friends" where I can swap SIM cards, so I may have to just give T-Mobile a shot and hope they have good reception around me.
    Scott7217 likes this.
  4. #54  
    ew800's Avatar

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirk View Post
    Why are people getting angry and returning the device? Have you forgotten what country we live in? Since when does a company dictate what we are allowed to use? As said previously in this thread, Verizon is violating the open access rules of the 700 MHz spectrum licenses it purchased. The FCC fined Verizon a year ago when the FCC saw that Verizon was charging customers an additional $20 for tethering devices to their phones. Verizon paid the fine and now we are allowed to tether devices as we please. This is simple: The Nexus 7 has a 700MHz antenna. Verizon owns the 700MHz spectrum. I read the 700MHz open access requirements. Verizon is breaking the rules and they will change. OR they will get busted again, pay millions in fines, and then change. Either way, Verizon will change. The device is NOT at fault. Verizon's system won't accept the IMEI because the numbers don't fit? Seriously??? Anyone who has manipulated software knows how easy a fix that is. I'm going to call Verizon tomorrow with my Nexus 7 in hand and I will, mark my words, have a $10/month tablet on my plan before I hang up the phone.
    Sure hope you are successful and can share with us how to pull this off. Every call I make to Google and Verizon pretty much falls on dead ears, with reps sounding like this is our problem.
  5. #55  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Go Spirk! We hope you are right, and successful. My Nexus 7 LTE arrives Tuesday.
  6. #56  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    I deal with stuff like this all the time at work. Referencing printed rules opens ears faster than anything else. I'm going to call Verizon instead of visiting a store because the store is just an entry point for revenue. When you bring a big problem into the store, the store calls Verizon. I will absolutely share my outcome.
  7. #57  
    ew800's Avatar

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirk View Post
    I deal with stuff like this all the time at work. Referencing printed rules opens ears faster than anything else. I'm going to call Verizon instead of visiting a store because the store is just an entry point for revenue. When you bring a big problem into the store, the store calls Verizon. I will absolutely share my outcome.
    Hope you can point this in a direction that will help all of us!!
  8. #58  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdiaz73 View Post
    Buy a verizon tablet, activate it, pull out the SIM, then return the tablet and say you prefer the Nexus. You have a working SIM for your NEXUS.
    This worked for me. I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 LTE on the prepaid, 1 GB data plan for $20/month. I took out the Verizon SIM card, put it into my Nexus 7, and turned it on. My Nexus 7 automatically recognized the SIM card. I was able to surf the web on the Nexus 7 and provide a wifi hotspot for my Nexus 4 phone without any problems.
  9. #59  
    dan1431's Avatar

    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    My next door neighbor is an Engineer for VZW and he basically said it will work without an issue, but that VZW as a company is still of the mindset devices have to be sold by the company and able to accounted for via IMEI/MEID/ESN and changing that kind of mindset is not easy.

    Dan

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #60  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Quick update. I posted earlier how one of the retail stores made this work for me by putting in a sim from a no-longer-used hotspot device. I checked my account today and realized that I was paying an extra $20/mo. on my shared minutes plan for the tablet (rather than the $10/mo. which is the normal shared-minute charge for tablets). I PHONED this time and spoke to a VZW corporate rep and explained my issue. She went away for a while and then offered to credit my account for $20 which she explained will cover the difference for two months. She then (after some polite questioning on my part) acknowledged that the people she had spoken to were aware of the issue with the Nexus 7 and that the reason for offering me two months credit was that they were uncertain of the timeframe for resolving this issue, BUT THAT THEY WERE DEFINITELY INTENDING TO MAKE THE CHANGE IN THEIR SYSTEM TO PROVIDE PROPER PROVISIONING AND BILLING FOR THIS DEVICE.
    Of course she may know nothing. But my impression (contrary to what I frequently encounter) was that she was telling me something that came from a higher level and had previously been reviewed and discussed, vs. something ad hoc made up on the fly to make me go away.
    Thanked by:
  11. #61  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Levy View Post
    Quick update. I posted earlier how one of the retail stores made this work for me by putting in a sim from a no-longer-used hotspot device. I checked my account today and realized that I was paying an extra $20/mo. on my shared minutes plan for the tablet (rather than the $10/mo. which is the normal shared-minute charge for tablets). I PHONED this time and spoke to a VZW corporate rep and explained my issue. She went away for a while and then offered to credit my account for $20 which she explained will cover the difference for two months. She then (after some polite questioning on my part) acknowledged that the people she had spoken to were aware of the issue with the Nexus 7 and that the reason for offering me two months credit was that they were uncertain of the timeframe for resolving this issue, BUT THAT THEY WERE DEFINITELY INTENDING TO MAKE THE CHANGE IN THEIR SYSTEM TO PROVIDE PROPER PROVISIONING AND BILLING FOR THIS DEVICE.
    Of course she may know nothing. But my impression (contrary to what I frequently encounter) was that she was telling me something that came from a higher level and had previously been reviewed and discussed, vs. something ad hoc made up on the fly to make me go away.

    Ted,

    One of the reasons for me leaving Verizon a few years back was because of inconsistent charging. They had to pay large multi million dollar fine because of this practice. You should be getting more than a 20 dollar credit if it was longer than 2 months. I would push it.
  12. #62  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    I too am getting the run around from my Verizon store trying to get a SIM card for my NN7. I do have a good SIM from another Verizon LTE smartphone device that is not being used (was damaged). That phone was associated with a number, letís say 555-1212. I am currently using an old 3G tablet with Verizon, letís say it is associated with 555-2323. If I pop the SIM card into my NN7, will it activate on the first number, 555-1212 or the second number, 555-2323? There is a 3G phone currently using the first number, 555-1212. How do I use the Verizon 4G LTE SIM in my NN7 and have it use the second number, 555-2323? Additionally, it looks like if I were successful, I might be paying for the smartphone service (associated with the SIM card) and not the lower tablet rate.
  13. #63  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Just curious. If you purchase a device, activate it, than return it to use in the N7, isint that # tied to the returned device? What happens if someone goes to activate that other device? Does this cause a conflict?
    Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Ted,

    One of the reasons for me leaving Verizon a few years back was because of inconsistent charging. They had to pay large multi million dollar fine because of this practice. You should be getting more than a 20 dollar credit if it was longer than 2 months. I would push it.
  14. #64  
    ew800's Avatar

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Based on my last couple of calls to booth Google and Verizon, I am not feeling all that optimistic about this being resolved anytime soon, but sure hope that MAYBE we hear something somewhat positive this week about this issue.
  15. #65  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Didn't everyone who bought one of these get a free month of Tmo data anyway? Why don't we all just use it and let VZW and Google work this out. No need to dive into "workarounds" just yet.
  16. #66  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirk View Post
    Why are people getting angry and returning the device? Have you forgotten what country we live in? Since when does a company dictate what we are allowed to use? As said previously in this thread, Verizon is violating the open access rules of the 700 MHz spectrum licenses it purchased. The FCC fined Verizon a year ago when the FCC saw that Verizon was charging customers an additional $20 for tethering devices to their phones. Verizon paid the fine and now we are allowed to tether devices as we please. This is simple: The Nexus 7 has a 700MHz antenna. Verizon owns the 700MHz spectrum. I read the 700MHz open access requirements. Verizon is breaking the rules and they will change. OR they will get busted again, pay millions in fines, and then change. Either way, Verizon will change. The device is NOT at fault. Verizon's system won't accept the IMEI because the numbers don't fit? Seriously??? Anyone who has manipulated software knows how easy a fix that is. I'm going to call Verizon tomorrow with my Nexus 7 in hand and I will, mark my words, have a $10/month tablet on my plan before I hang up the phone.
    Can't wait to hear back from you today. I'm not too optimistic, but wishing you good luck and good news for the rest of us!
  17. #67  
    abbott's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Don't worry you guys! The only thing we need is a dummy IMEI from a VZW iPad or Galaxy Tab or something. For instance, I know that the ATT GTab IMEIs range from 354021049000001 through 354021049999999 and you can use any number in between to change a line on ATT to $10/month tablet plan. Would someone please share their IMEI from their broken verizon tablet, or at least the first nine digits of your working one? We can fake the rest, we just need to know what the range starts with. This way we can activate online or over the phone with no grief
  18. #68  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Droid View Post
    Didn't everyone who bought one of these get a free month of Tmo data anyway? Why don't we all just use it and let VZW and Google work this out. No need to dive into "workarounds" just yet.
    Because T-Mobile service is non existent in many parts of the country including here in middle Tennessee.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  19. #69  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    I considered just activating on T-Moble will Verizon got their issues resolved but the Google Play store will only issue an RMA for a non-defect device up to 15 days after receipt. I can't wait more than 15 days for VZW to support the device.
  20. #70  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Quote Originally Posted by abbott View Post
    Don't worry you guys! The only thing we need is a dummy IMEI from a VZW iPad or Galaxy Tab or something. For instance, I know that the ATT GTab IMEIs range from 354021049000001 through 354021049999999 and you can use any number in between to change a line on ATT to $10/month tablet plan. Would someone please share their IMEI from their broken verizon tablet, or at least the first nine digits of your working one? We can fake the rest, we just need to know what the range starts with. This way we can activate online or over the phone with no grief

    I have verified that this will work just now with my Nexus 7. For obvious reasons I will not give you my IMEI, but you could try something that starts with this:
    1. take this 10-digit root 9900011341
    2. stick a random 4-digit number on the end of that number
    3. paste that 14 digit number in the calculator here:
    4. take the resulting 15 digit number and check it here:

    I was able to take that number and call Verizon. Here's how to make the call:
    1. say you have a tablet and want to activate the sim card (or re-activate a sim card) with it (don't lie, just say "a tablet")
    2. give them the sim card and the generated IMEI
    3. they will activate it and ask you to put it in and turn it on: put the sim into your nexus and turn it on.

    That's it. It will be active.
    Thanked by 3:
  21. #71  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    I just got off the phone with Felicia from Verizon Wireless customer service. It was like talking to a child. We went in circles for almost an hour. She would tell me I didn't know where to find the device ID and I would tell her it didn't have one, only an IMEI, she said impossible, I insisted it wasn't, etc etc etc over and over again. She became angry VERY quickly and decided to try to push my buttons. I'm glad the recording heard her yell "I don't care if it's illegal!". That's going to make it very easy when the FCC catches wind of this. 47 minutes into the call, she hit mute on her end and waited for me to ask if she was there. When she came back I heard people chuckling in the background so I'm sure she wasn't consulting with someone more knowledgeable. WHICH would have been anyone in the building. These people are clearly trained, or at least encouraged, to frustrate customers until they give up. No problem. I have all day. Round 2.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
  22. #72  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    I have a SIM card for a Verizon 4G LTE smartphone. I put in in my NN7, powered it up and got no service, nothing, nada, squat.
  23. #73  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    1. Take the 9-digit root IMEI for a verizon-compatible tablet (990001134) then add some random digits until you get a 14-digit code,
    2. then use a checksum generator like to add the 15th digit,
    3. then check your handiwork at a site like .
    4. Once the IMEI is made, call Verizon, tell them you want to activate a tablet, give them the SIM card number, the IMEI, and then stick the SIM card into your Google Nexus 7 when prompted, and get on the network.
    5. Now you have a tablet account added to Verizon. Cool
  24. #74  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    SUCCESS! I hope.

    I did more research after hanging up with Felicia and I came across Verizon's DMD - Device Management Database. If a phone is not in the DMD, an "add device request" is filled out by the rep and the new device, with it's IMEI, is listed under the customer's account. I called tech support at 866-221-4096. After entering the personal info it required, I selected option 6 for 'Tablets'. Someone was on the line not 5 seconds later. His name was Bobby and he is by far the best customer service rep I've ever spoke with in my experience with 4 different wireless providers. We talked all about the tablet and why it wasn't supported by Verizon. He agreed that the FCC 700 MHz open access regulations required Verizon to enable my device since it had a 700 MHz antenna. I told him about the DMD and he put me on hold. He came back after speaking with an engineer and said the add device request was exactly what we needed to do.

    After he submitted the request, he put in an order for a "naked" SIM card to be shipped to me overnight for free. When the SIM card arrives I am supposed to call Verizon customer service and reference the DMD request and it will be added to my account as a $10/month tablet. That's why I started with "I hope"; we all know everything can go horribly wrong between now and then. I currently have a 4G SIM card from my old S3 in my Nexus 7 and I get great service here in Colorado Springs. I'm paying the $140 for voice and data until the new SIM comes in and takes its place.

    THE CATCH: Since the Nexus 7 2013 is not provisioned, and therefor not supported, by Verizon (YET), I will not be able to receive technical support from Verizon. I would have to call Google if something went wrong with the device. That's what I would do anyway since Verizon has absolutely no foothold in this device like they do in all the devices they sell from their stores/website.

    There is a brand new SIM in the mail from Verizon. My Nexus 7 wasn't in their system but now there is an official add device request from Verizon to Verizon. I didn't have to buy a tablet, activate it, and return it just to get the $10/month tablet plan.

    I'm going to call that a win.
    Thanked by 5:
    hokiesteve likes this.
  25. #75  

    Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

    Quote Originally Posted by fgrandt View Post
    I have a SIM card for a Verizon 4G LTE smartphone. I put in in my NN7, powered it up and got no service, nothing, nada, squat.
    I put the Verizon SIM from my current, activated LTE Razr HD into the Nexus 7...31mbps down, 6.1 up. That's certainly not my crappy wifi connection I have at the house. So it definitely works.

    My plan is to take a friend's Verizon iPad LTE to a store tonight (after taking out the SIM card) and tell them I want to activate it on my Share plan. And that I will obviously need a SIM card as the previous owner kept it. Then just make the swap. We'll see how that goes.

    -Cameron
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Screen Time out not working
    By mannyvigi1985 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 12:37 PM
  2. Will my Korean S2 be able to use 3G on T-Mobile in the USA?
    By Positronic Enigma in forum Samsung Galaxy S II
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 11:35 PM
  3. help with emojii on s4 active
    By luckee06 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 07:55 PM
  4. Deliberating which phone to get Galaxy S4, S4 mini or Nexus 4?
    By Darasimi Makinde in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 03:34 PM

Posting Permissions

B