Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

I received my new N7 this morning. I picked up a new LTE SIM from a Verizon store, called up Verizon and was pretty much told that the IMEI of the N7 is NOT on their list of supported devices and it will not work on their service.

I called Google Play device support and was also informed that the N7 is NOT supported on Verizon.

Apparently, if you have an activated, working SIM from another LTE device and slap it in your new N& it will probably work. However if you need to call Verizon and activate a new LTE SIM and link it to the IMEI of your N7 it will not be activated. Kind of sucks as I was switching service off an iPad mini. If I'd used a nano to micro adapter it probably would have just worked. However if you need a new SIM, beware, both the manufacturer and the carrier say NO on Verizon.

Global Posts
    7,269 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

The only one I've seen on the play store so far is T-Mobile.

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

well it DOES work on at&t. Took mine to the local at&t store and they scanned the IMEI from the box into their system and gave me a SIM card. Put it in and it says LTE with full signal !!!!

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monofurioso View Post
    I received my new N7 this morning. I picked up a new LTE SIM from a Verizon store, called up Verizon and was pretty much told that the IMEI of the N7 is NOT on their list of supported devices and it will not work on their service.

I called Google Play device support and was also informed that the N7 is NOT supported on Verizon.

Apparently, if you have an activated, working SIM from another LTE device and slap it in your new N& it will probably work. However if you need to call Verizon and activate a new LTE SIM and link it to the IMEI of your N7 it will not be activated. Kind of sucks as I was switching service off an iPad mini. If I'd used a nano to micro adapter it probably would have just worked. However if you need a new SIM, beware, both the manufacturer and the carrier say NO on Verizon.
    yeah just get a sim adapter and you are good to go.

So would a workaround be to buy a crappy used LTE phone for like $10 that is on Verizon's approved list, activate the SIM in there, and then stick it into the Nexus 7?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

It seems that way. Bummer that neither party will officially support the device on Verizon.

Or make your own sim adaptor out of a micro sim card. I cut this out using a simple razor blade. Fits perfectly in every device I have except for my Nexus 4, but the N4 is picky anyways for such things.

Looks like there is a big gap there but it's not, I just placed it loosely in there for the pic. It fits snug in the sim tray without using tape to hold it in. I had to use a finger nail file to file down just one edge, took seconds to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7-photo-35.jpg  
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by monofurioso View Post

That's a direct violation of the 700 Mhz auction open access requirements. I'm not sure what the FCC process is for filing complaints though.

Same thing. I got to the VZW store today and the rep there gave me a bunch of yada yada about this not being in their system. I got stubborn and a smarter rep there looked at my account and found that I had previously registered a sim for one of their hotspot thingies which I haven't used for about two years, and somehow she did some jiggery-pokery trickery and put in a sim from the other thingy and made it work On my VZW account (shared data) where I see my DROID, I Pad, IPhone, etc., there is now a blank unnamed device which is my Nexus 7 LTE. Something tells me that in a week or two VZW will make this work without kluging things around; their alternative is to lose customers to T-Mobile. That will focus their mind I think. But for now, however, I have 4G LTE connectivity on my Nexus 7.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Wow, I am confused... I was just about ready to purchase the LTE, but want to use it on Verizon. So to confirm, if I do not already have another LTE device on Verizon, then I am out of luck?? I have an iPhone and an S3 on Verizon, however they are both currently in use. Do I have any option?

This sucks. I ordered my Nexus 7 LTE yesterday. I called Google and they said "YES" it will work with Verizon. Looks like everyone is getting a different answer.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Howard: Are you able to share the number that you are calling Google at? I would like to ask some questions of them. Like you, I am concerned about these reports of having to have an existing LTE device, cutting SIM cards and other hoops to be able to use Verizon.

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by howardv View Post
    This sucks. I ordered my Nexus 7 LTE yesterday. I called Google and they said "YES" it will work with Verizon. Looks like everyone is getting a different answer.
    Short answer is: yes it will work.

Long answer: if you don't already have a SIM, your retail store may give you grief about it because the device is not in their database and you will need a motivated rep to get it going. In theory, you will have better luck at the independent authorized VZW resellers than corporate stores... the resellers will sell you new SIMs all day long and could care less about your rogue device. Verizon corporate stores are a little differently motivated.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alee View Post
    Short answer is: yes it will work.

Long answer: if you don't already have a SIM, your retail store may give you grief about it because the device is not in their database and you will need a motivated rep to get it going. In theory, you will have better luck at the independent authorized VZW resellers than corporate stores... the resellers will sell you new SIMs all day long and could care less about your rogue device. Verizon corporate stores are a little differently motivated.
    Alee: If Verizon adds this device to their database, would that solve all this?

Geez. Verizon and Nexus, the love affair continues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Just wanted to add my experience. Went to a corporate VZW store and they wouldn't give me a SIM because the nexus 7 isn't in their database.

I did try the microSIM from my phone, and successfully got LTE service, so it's definitely supported.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clicq0 View Post
    Just wanted to add my experience. Went to a corporate VZW store and they wouldn't give me a SIM because the nexus 7 isn't in their database.

I did try the microSIM from my phone, and successfully got LTE service, so it's definitely supported.
    Would anyone know if this is likely just a temporary issue until they add the LTE to their database or could this be a long term issue?

Also, any think the big biz stores will get the LTE or will it remain just through Google?

Global Posts
    682 Global Posts

I called both Google and Verizon before ordering 2 Nexus 7s.

Both told me it was compatible with Verizon which is why I ordered them.

Should be here tomorrow and I will find out what my local Verizon store has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ew800 View Post
    Howard: Are you able to share the number that you are calling Google at? I would like to ask some questions of them. Like you, I am concerned about these reports of having to have an existing LTE device, cutting SIM cards and other hoops to be able to use Verizon.
    Their phone number is here:

https://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en

I have iPad 3 Verizon with micro SIM card. So I should be good to go. I didn't actually know you could just swap sims on Verizon LTE like you do on GSM. I thought you have to call them to activate a new device, since I am on TMobile for my phone needs, that's what I have heard . I guess it is just for CDMA and Evdo, right?

Global Posts
    995 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Levy View Post
    Same thing. I got to the VZW store today and the rep there gave me a bunch of yada yada about this not being in their system. I got stubborn and a smarter rep there looked at my account and found that I had previously registered a sim for one of their hotspot thingies which I haven't used for about two years, and somehow she did some jiggery-pokery trickery and put in a sim from the other thingy and made it work On my VZW account (shared data) where I see my DROID, I Pad, IPhone, etc., there is now a blank unnamed device which is my Nexus 7 LTE. Something tells me that in a week or two VZW will make this work without kluging things around; their alternative is to lose customers to T-Mobile. That will focus their mind I think. But for now, however, I have 4G LTE connectivity on my Nexus 7.
    Which goes to show you, not supported doesn't mean not working.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by npunk42 View Post
    Which goes to show you, not supported doesn't mean not working.
    Exactly, LTE on Verizon works, it's just not (apparently) supported. This despite there being Verizon carrier options baked into the Nexus. The Google Play tech rep had me on the phone for quite a while to send some flags up the chain of command and ultimately was only able to tell me it 'might' work but it's not supported by Google. And as of yesterday, my two corp account Verizon reps told me that it's not on their supported list. Hopefully it clears up. I was able to get a SIM from another device and swap it in and confirmed it works (as have many others). However if you're just an average customer w/ Verizon service and take it to the store to get a SIM you're likely in for a large PITA. It's too bad it's simply not supported officially.

just find someone with a verizon device and activate a sim with it, then swap devices....I have done this a bunch of times. You can even buy sim cards off of ebay or amazon...

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Hoping others can tell me how screwed I might be. I have ordered the LTE with the intention of using it on Verizon. It sounds like from what I am reading, Verizon isn't going to sell me a SIM and I don't think I have one from another device unless an old Blackberry 9930 would work. Am I completely screwed or do I have options? Any chance we may see Verizon "suppport" this in the coming day?

Thanks!

This is the page you get when you attempt to activate using a new Verizon SIM card.
    Attachment 81199
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast