Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

Default Is the Nexus 7 screen too small

I had an older 8" Android tablet. I just got my Nexus 7. It seems like the screen is too small for me. Maybe it will just take some time to get used to get it.

Or, is there a bigger new Nexus tablet on the way? (Or maybe I should look at the LG GPad which is 8.3"?)

What do you think?

Default Re: Is the Nexus 7 screen too small

It's totally a matter of preference. Bigger screen means better visibility, but also increased weight and more fatigue with one-handed use. Personally, I find the 7" screen perfect for most types of activities, but if I want to read a magazine or watch a movie, 10" is clearly better. The obvious advantage of the Nexus 7 over other non-Nexus 8" tablets is the prompt updates directly from Google.

There's supposed to be a new Nexus 10 coming soon, but not sure when--most of the hype has been surrounding the upcoming Nexus 5 phone.

Good chance they'll do a new version of the Nexus 10 at some point, but there's no ETA. Haven't heard any rumors of an 8" Nexus.

Screen size is a preference thing. I find the 7" to be nicely portable while still being bigger enough than my smartphone screen to be worthwhile to have. I can understand where an extra inch could make a noticeable difference in size without becoming unwieldy, though. The 10" tablets I've played with just seemed like they would make my hands get tired, but that's probably because I'm used to the lightweight 7".
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

I have the Nexus 10 and the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 is perfect for reading while commuting, listening to music, playing some games and general surfing. While I like the size of magazines and web pages on the Nexus 10 I don't think I really miss that much on the smaller tablet. The resolution is so sharp I think you will get used to it in no time.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

I have an iPad retina, iPad mini, Samsung Tab 7.7, and the Nexus 7 (2013). The only one I ever use now is the Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I was holding out for an updated Nexus 10, but after hearing good things about the Nexus 7 I picked one up this week. My first impression was that it was a little small, although once I started using it I found it just fine. Very portable and lightweight. The screen is quite nice and I have no issues reading small print or anything else.

I returned N7 for N10...

My iPad Mini was more comfortable for a small tablet.

Sent from VZW HTC One with Unlimited Data and Tethering (subscriber)

- Nexus 10 32
    - iPhone 5 32 ATT
    - iPad Mini 32 VZW

Comfortable print size is obviously dependent on age and good eyesight. I'm still very comfortable with my Nexus 7 (2013).

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) via the Android Central App.

I love the size of my N7. I read a lot and it's the perfect size. I love watching videos on it. Every morning when I leave for work, I put it in my purse and off I go

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts

why

My 2012 N7 Is still perfect for me. I am 55 and wear reading glasses.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

I think that it is the perfect size for some things. I would like to see a bigger screen when I'm watching movies. But I like the smaller size when I'm playing games or reading because it is easier to wield.

Global Posts
    457 Global Posts

I really like the size of the Nexus 7. If there are pages that are hard to read, I just increase the font size. Did that with Tapatalk, and it seems to be working fine!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Sprint Customer since 2003, 5 lines, currently loving my HTC One. Previous phones - Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, BB Tour, BB Curve, BB Pearl, Palm Centro, LG-Muziq, Katana DLX, LG 550, Sanyo MM 5600, Sanyo 8200, Sanyo 8100

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock for now.

I like the size of my nexus 7, but lately I have been thinking an 8 inch screen would be ideal. There just aren't any 8 inch tablets that are as affordable as the nexus. The new 8 inch galaxy note would be nice. S pen functionality would be perfect. I also have an Asus transformer and I find 10 inch screens to be a little too big for my uses.

Noted via tapatalk

I had an iPad 3. When I got the first gen nexus 7, I rarely ever used the iPad anymore. I sold it before getting the new nexus 7 and don't miss it at all. I love the size of the nexus 7. I can put it in my purse and take it everywhere.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm fine with 7 inches but 8 would be ideal TBH..

Quote Originally Posted by mhans311 View Post
    I like the size of my nexus 7, but lately I have been thinking an 8 inch screen would be ideal. There just aren't any 8 inch tablets that are as affordable as the nexus. The new 8 inch galaxy note would be nice. S pen functionality would be perfect. I also have an Asus transformer and I find 10 inch screens to be a little too big for my uses.

Noted via tapatalk
    I have the 8" note and enjoy it when holding it for an extended period of time,

Sent from my Note 8.
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

My files: http://www.appbrain.com/user/bclinge...the-htc-evo-4g

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I also think that the size of Nexus 7 is already very compatible to a lot of functions such as playing games, rating articles and RSS and watching movies. I even use it as a music player with earphones. The only reason I still play games and occasionally browse with my laptop is that I don't want to overwork my Nexus. Its storage is also limited so I have to transfer files to my laptop once in a while.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

The only two tablets I've owned have been 7 inches. I think it is the right size for my needs. I mainly use my N7 for games and a bit of web browsing. My parents have an iPad and I think it is a bit big to carry around.

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts

I considered buying a 10 inch tablet... I think they are great but a tad too big when you want to travel around. Very nice but after playing with the Nexus 7 I felt that the tablet is perfect for porting around and the screen is absolutely amazing... So crystal clear.
    I've only had 7 inch tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by sbudaj View Post
    Or, is there a bigger new Nexus tablet on the way?
    If seven inches aren't enough you can get ten inches but it will cost you.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

I have a 2012 Nexus 7, iPad 2 and a BlackBerry Playbook and after spending time with the Nexus the display totally ruined my iPad experience but like you I think the 7" display is a little too narrow so over the weekend I was looking at a Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 which was $ 299.00 and looked over a saw a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" for $ 229.00 well this was a no brainer so I bought the Kindle and I must say I was a little skeptical at first but the display is awesome and it is doing everything that I was doing with my Nexus 7 for a killer price. I have read that a newer, even better HD is coming out but for $ 229.00 I am sold. Good luck on choosing something that you can live with, fortunately we have a lot of great choices.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
    I have a 2012 Nexus 7, iPad 2 and a BlackBerry Playbook and after spending time with the Nexus the display totally ruined my iPad experience but like you I think the 7" display is a little too narrow so over the weekend I was looking at a Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 which was $ 299.00 and looked over a saw a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" for $ 229.00 well this was a no brainer so I bought the Kindle and I must say I was a little skeptical at first but the display is awesome and it is doing everything that I was doing with my Nexus 7 for a killer price. I have read that a newer, even better HD is coming out but for $ 229.00 I am sold. Good luck on choosing something that you can live with, fortunately we have a lot of great choices.
    Agree with this. Absolutely stunning display on the Fire 8.9. Can't imagine now watching videos or reading magazines on anything less.

I'm going to settle this issue once and for all.

the size doesn't matter as much as the resolution. the nexus 7 viewed from a foot away or less, is like viewing a regular 32 to 60+ inch TV across the room. go to one side of a room, then hold up your nexus 7 at normal viewing distance, and pretend it's a flat screen on the wall behind it. look at the space it takes up on the wall and you'll see it is comparable to viewing large screen tv's from a couch or a bed. hold it even closer, but not too close to where you can't focus, and it's essentially filling the same view area as a typical silver screen in the theater! it's all a matter of perspective. the only difference is you're either viewing big pixels from far away, or small pixels from close up. the screen seems small, but for handheld waist or chest height viewing, it's actually pretty large. I prefer viewing small screens from close up than large screens at a distance or large screens close up.

the pixel density really makes the screen. wouldnt touch 7 inches at 720p...too much pixelation.
    Thanked by:
    TraderGary likes this.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I don't think so. I read a review shared by enolsoft on Facebook. It said:
    The new Nexus 7 is slightly taller (200mm versus 198.5mm), narrower (114mm v. 120mm) and thinner (8.65mm v. 10.45mm) than its predecessor. The 2013 model's slightly narrower profile is achieved by having less bezel around the screen's long edges, but that's not the whole story: the new Nexus 7 also weighs 50g less (290g v. 340g). Less bulky and lighter than before, the new Nexus 7 is a much easier one-handed hold.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast