Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question after 1 night standby, 3% battery power disappeared? normal?

i read it on here, someone had it standby at night, it only drains 1% battery power.

i put mine in airport mode and turned off the wifi, it still drained 3%.

is it normal ?

Default Re: after 1 night standby, 3% battery power disappeared? normal?

As you/ve read, my battery drain (12 hrs) was about 1-2 %, beginning from 99% charged.
    Was your battery fully charged when you started your test? Drain is related to charge level -- I think.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

mine was about 93% charged last night, after about 7 hours, it has 90% left.

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Depending on what's going on in the background that doesn't seem too bad to me.

Posted via Android Central App
    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes "ding!" when there's stuff." - The Doctor

It doesn't seem bad to me either. Rather on the good side. It depends on what all is doing notifications in the background, etc.

doug

I agree, this is normal for Android devices. I hate to say it, but Android just doesn't have the power management solved yet. I have 2 iOS devices and 3 Android devices. My iOS devices can be left for at least a week or two and still have a decent charge left. My Android devices must be charged constantly. My Nexus 4 will lose all battery charge in less than 2 days if it's not being charged, even if I don't use it during those 2 days. The same goes for my 2012 Nexus 7. I don't have a good feel for the 2013 Nexus 7 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sflxn View Post
    I agree, this is normal for Android devices. I hate to say it, but Android just doesn't have the power management solved yet. I have 2 iOS devices and 3 Android devices. My iOS devices can be left for at least a week or two and still have a decent charge left. My Android devices must be charged constantly. My Nexus 4 will lose all battery charge in less than 2 days if it's not being charged, even if I don't use it during those 2 days. The same goes for my 2012 Nexus 7. I don't have a good feel for the 2013 Nexus 7 yet.
    I frequently get warnings from my iPad 2 that "you haven't charged it in 2 weeks, so please connect so you can charge and also get a backup." So I guess the iPad 2 drains a lot slower.

But again, I have most notifications turned off on my iPad. And I get mail manually. My Nexus 7 is also pinging me with email and Facebook notification signals.

doug

That still doesn't sound all too bad. I put mine in airplane mode or with the WiFi off when I know I won't be around a WiFi hotspot or have my phone on me. I get about the same results. Depends what apps you may have left running in the background. One time I forgot a game was running in the background and it did but some wear on the battery overnight more than usual.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

It all depends. I charged mine to 100 the other morning. Unplugged it. Didn't turn on airplane mode. Almost seven hours later it was still fully charged. Zero drain. However there are so many factors that determine battery life.

The battery life on my Nexus 7 is no where near this good. For example, I took it off the charger last night before going to bed. After 10 hours in "sleep" mode, the available battery had dropped from fully charged to 85% charged. Most of the battery drain is "Android OS", not any specific app. What can I do about this? Is there an OS setting I can change to significantly improve battery life? Do I have a defective battery? I can't quantify battery drain while the tablet is in use other than to say it drains even faster.
    after 1 night standby, 3% battery power disappeared? normal?-screenshot_2013-09-25-08-25-50.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tuparkin View Post
    The battery life on my Nexus 7 is no where near this good. For example, I took it off the charger last night before going to bed. After 10 hours in "sleep" mode, the available battery had dropped from fully charged to 85% charged. Most of the battery drain is "Android OS", not any specific app. What can I do about this? Is there an OS setting I can change to significantly improve battery life? Do I have a defective battery? I can't quantify battery drain while the tablet is in use other than to say it drains even faster.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-25-08-25-50.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	83016
    As batteries will cycle between 90-100% once hitting full charge, you might have just got unlucky and caught your battery when it was at 90% so then it really only lost 5% overnight.

Tap on Android OS in the battery usage and see if the Keep Awake time is very high. I had this problem, and deleting all the saved WiFi networks and rebooting solved it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Wow! I didn't know Android devices shared saved WiFi network info. There were many in the list I've never used with my Nexus 7, so they must have come from my phone. I deleted most of them and rebooted, but that didn't help. I'm still loosing ~15% of the charge over a 10 hour period while the tablet is "sleeping". Right now, Android OS is showing CPU total 43m 32s and Keep awake 2h 16m 52s. Is it possible one the apps I have installed is triggering the excessive "keep awake" activity?

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts

All depends on what's running. WIFI, apps in the background...

There's a good app called System Panel Lite, which will show you in detail what every single app is doing; power,cpu etc. It even shows you what each core of the processor is being used etc. I find it useful to see how things are going, although I never need to change anything thankfully.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

A lot of N7s will be different because the drain greatly depends on the tablet and what is running in the background. That 3% is actually pretty good and quite in line with what is "normal".

I tried changing a few settings. In the end the one that worked was changing the "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" setting to "Only when plugged in". Previously it was set to "Always". I was confused by the battery usage chart since it didn't show Wi-Fi as my worst battery hog. But I guess it's what the Android OS was doing because Wi-Fi was on that was causing my battery drain. Once I changed the setting I started seeing the normal ~3% battery drain overnight instead of the ~15% I was seeing before.

I think 3% is a very good "norm"....and something to strive for. Less than this, and you've probably killed many useful Android services/apps, and the question then begs, what do you want from a "connected" tablet in the first place.