Weird Wi-Fi-Dependent Android OS Keep Awake Behavior

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I was on a secure network at work using my Nexus 7 (2013), and I noticed that even when I was doing absolutely nothing with the tablet, about every two seconds, the Wi-Fi download arrow came on for about a second. Then last night I went to sleep with the tablet freshly charged and connected to a different network. When I woke up in the morning, the battery had drained about one percent per hour (which is much more than usual), and looking at the battery stats, Android OS was using the vast majority of battery. Drilling down into the Android OS usage, the Keep Awake time was about half of the entire time since the tablet had been charged. And the Wi-Fi download arrow was also blinking on and off incessantly, same as the day before.

Just playing around, I decided to see what would happen if I connected to my Verizon Galaxy S4 hot-spot instead of to this other network. As soon as I did that, the Wi-Fi download arrow went silent. Google searching led me to find that someone had a similar problem with Android OS Keep Awake ballooning on a Nexus 4 and noticed that it went away if they were in Airplane mode. They then decided to delete all of the saved Wi-Fi networks on their device, and then when they reconnected to Wi-Fi, the Android OS Keep Awake stopped ballooning.

So I went ahead and deleted all of the saved Wi-Fi networks, and when I reconnected to my work network, the Wi-Fi download arrow was quiet except when actually accessing the Internet intentionally, and the Android OS Keep Awake stopped ballooning.

No idea why this weird behavior started, nor why deleting saved Wi-Fi networks made it go away.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante