Nexus 7 - 2013 - Screen Unresponsive - Issue

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi all - apologies if there are other posts about this.

I just bought a Nexus 7 and noticed 2-3 times the screen becoming unresponsive. Example - I would be scrolling through a sports article and the scrolling would stop, no matter what I did it would not scroll and it was like the screen was frozen.

If I exit the browser, clear it from open applications and go back in it would be fine. Then randomly it would freeze again - like I said it has happened 2-3 times in total tonight. Would this be a software issue? If it was a hardware issue would it consistently be happening?

Just want to reach out to you all, I don't want to return it and risk getting one with more severe issues if it is just a software issue that an update will fix. My luck, I would return it and get one that is even worse.

Thoughts? I am not experiencing the multi-touch issues nor am I experiencing any typing issues either. I did receive "Android Keyboard Stopped Working" a couple of times in a row but cleared the keyboard cache and it seems to be fine since. No further issues since doing that.

PS - I received the latest update when I set it up tonight.

Last edited:

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi all - apologies if there are other posts about this.

I just bought a Nexus 7 and noticed 2-3 times the screen becoming unresponsive. Example - I would be scrolling through a sports article and the scrolling would stop, no matter what I did it would not scroll and it was like the screen was frozen.

If I exit the browser, clear it from open applications and go back in it would be fine. Then randomly it would freeze again - like I said it has happened 2-3 times in total tonight. Would this be a software issue? If it was a hardware issue would it consistently be happening?

Just want to reach out to you all, I don't want to return it and risk getting one with more severe issues if it is just a software issue that an update will fix. My luck, I would return it and get one that is even worse.

Thoughts? I am not experiencing the multi-touch issues nor am I experiencing any typing issues either. I did receive "Android Keyboard Stopped Working" a couple of times in a row but cleared the keyboard cache and it seems to be fine since. No further issues since doing that.

PS - I received the latest update when I set it up tonight.

Was the whole touch screen locked up, or just the browser? (which browser?)
Could you pull down the settings or notification windows?
My screen will stop responding if I have it on the arm of the couch and I'm sitting on the couch trying to use it with one hand.
I have to hold it, or put a thumb from the same or opposite hand on the bezel for the screen to work.
It also won't respond well in car docks or table stands, again with single touch, one hand.
I will return it under year Asus warranty if updates won't fix.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the original nexus 7 and use it daily. Just won the new one so tacking it back is not an option. I have had several spontaneous reboots. Last night it locked up and nothing would respond, clock froze so I just left it for about five minutes. After holding the power button for 30 seconds it finally reset. Something is going on but I need more time to play with it to determine if it is browser based or not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I have actually decided to return my unit.

I was so impressed with the physical build when I saw it in the store and had to buy it but since owning it (less than 24 hours) I have experienced screen locks, keyboard errors and late last night some screen flickering at the top of the Chrome browser when entering in searches.

I am not going to roll the dice on this and return it while I can. May look at a Nexus tablet again down the right but there are clearly issues that need to be sorted out.

Maximilian Smith1

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Save yourselves! Take it back if you can:

I ordered the Nexus 7 2 days before it was to be released ? got it promptly from Amazon. Worked great until android 4.3, then started freezing multiple times a day. Did a reset, no help.

Sent it in over 3 weeks ago, Asus sent it back with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I started using it today at 10 and by 10:30 it froze (hard reboot required) ? called DAVID at asus who says they tested it, factory reset (back to 4.2) tested again and everything ok. David would NOT give me an employee number or anything - WHAT ARE YOU HIDING ASUS?

Connection went bad and called back ? Andrew says there is no DAVID at his call center. Then he says they replaced my touchscreen, to which I said David said otherwise and I don?t think you did anything, as David said. They won?t preship a new one (I offered a credit card), so I said what do I do for a replacement in the mean time? NOTHING ? I asked Andrew why don?t I just sell this on craigslist and buy a Samsung? He had no answer or solution. I?m not the only one with this problem ? what is the deal? NO ONE has any answers.

Don't walk away - RUN

BTW - My first gen Nexus 7 never gave me a problem.

David McDougall

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
My brand new nexus 7 (2013) totally locked up in the middle of reading a book. It's only about 2 weeks old! Could get the power off, airplane mode screen, but could not effect any action on the touch screen no matter what I did. Nothing seemed to help, but found a video on similar issues with the nexus 7 (2012) and learned how to turn it off by holding the power button until the screen went blank, which actually powered it totally down and then turned it on and all seems to be working again. For how long, I have no idea, but I've seen several comments and posts on this issue and I certainly hope after all the research I did to finally decide on the Nexus 7, that it was not in vain..... :'( Many posts on the Google forum, but no response from Google, I hope this is simply a software issue that will be fixed with an update...

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Just because you won it, that doesn't mean it's ok not to function correctly. The manufacturer warranty should still apply, and be honored.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Oliver Wang1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 2013 just bought 3 weeks. touch screen unresponsive issue has been 2 weeks and was not solved after update to 4.4. I will ask for replacement and hope to get one without such problem.

George Stevens

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah thats yet another problem I often have with this thing, the screen, locking up. Hasn't seemed too serious though, as it usually frees itself up in 20 or 30 seconds or so.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Recently, I decided to remove the screen protector, which I installed immediately after unboxing. Apparently, my Nexus 7's sporadic unresponsive screen was a result of the screen protector. Call me crazy or purely coincidental, but my device is working flawlessly now.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Any layers added over the digitizer will affect sensitivity and accuracy. For example a plastic sheet cover works poorly with a stylus on most screens. Air bubbles can create dead spots. My old phone is nearly psychic without a cover, so I keep one on to reduce sensitivity.

Samsung phones go a step beyond with extreme battery suckers like glove move and air touch, which should also increase the sensitivity through a screen cover. But again they really suck the battery down.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Recently, I decided to remove the screen protector, which I installed immediately after unboxing. Apparently, my Nexus 7's sporadic unresponsive screen was a result of the screen protector. Call me crazy or purely coincidental, but my device is working flawlessly now.

That makes sense. The screen sense capacitance changes caused by your touch. Anything you put between you and the screen can mitigate that effect.

fightcrazy

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Big Nexus fan but this tablet has serious screen issues. I bought a new Nexus, sent it back for a new one, 2nd Nexus same problem, screen just doesn't respond, sent the 2nd one back and received a 3rd one, would you believe the same exact freaken problem. I said screw this, sent it back and got my money back. The new Nexus 7 tablet is a beautifull machine when it works. There is serious screen issues and Asus and Google just plays freaken stupid. I will NEVER buy another Asus or Google product again.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Big Nexus fan but this tablet has serious screen issues. I bought a new Nexus, sent it back for a new one, 2nd Nexus same problem, screen just doesn't respond, sent the 2nd one back and received a 3rd one, would you believe the same exact freaken problem. I said screw this, sent it back and got my money back. The new Nexus 7 tablet is a beautifull machine when it works. There is serious screen issues and Asus and Google just plays freaken stupid. I will NEVER buy another Asus or Google product again.

Was your screen also not responding while holding the tablet or only when set down on a table?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I've had that theory too with my past Nexus 7s. Now the question is, if that's it, why is the screen sensitivity so low? Lots of people care enough about their hardware to use screen protectors, is the Nexus 7 unique in its insensitivity?

via the tablet

Last edited:

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had that theory too with my past Nexus 7s. Now the question is, if that's it, why is the screen sensitivity so low? Lots of people care enough about their hardware to use screen protectors, is is the Nexus 7 unique in its insensitivity?

via the tablet
Not sure if it's unique or not, bur I have never had touch screen orobkems like this on a samsung tablet. Take it for what you will.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if it's unique or not, bur I have never had touch screen orobkems like this on a samsung tablet. Take it for what you will.

Me either. Note 8, 2012 Note 10.1, Tab 3 8.0, and 2014 Note 10.1 all worked fine with screen protectors.

via the tablet

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

Get this...I had purchased the Asus Memo Pad HD7 and used screen protector and had no problems. This must be a problem solely related to the Nexus 7.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk