Does My New 2013 Nexus 7 have a GPS (Wifi only)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yup, all models of Nexus 7 (including last year's models) have a GPS sensor. It is good to know that the Google Maps navigation has some issues when not connected to a data connection, which it needs to download maps (though you can set them to be available offline), and to find route information. But the GPS sensor is there and works great. :)

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes it does. Wifi location is not accurate enough for navigation, plus navigation would then not work at all when you're not in wifi range.

Why is the GPS inaccruate without Wifi and more accurate with Wifi. Google does not have every Wifi access point mapped. Also why would navigation not work for a GPS application that had it's own maps (ie. did not need to get them from a server, like Google Maps).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why is the GPS inaccruate without Wifi and more accurate with Wifi. Google does not have every Wifi access point mapped. Also why would navigation not work for a GPS application that had it's own maps (ie. did not need to get them from a server, like Google Maps).

Wifi location is used to get a "general location" so that it knows what GPS satellites to look for. It speeds up getting a lock. A navigation app would work just fine, but without built-in GPS it won't know where you are. You're confusing grabbing map data with actually knowing your location outside of a wifi access point.

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
You can use the hot spot feature on your phone to connect the Wifi version and use GPS off the tablet around town.. I do it for car meets, makes it easier to see directions.

Posted via Android Central App

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Google does have quite a comprehensive map of WiFi access points (their StreetView cars map them out), there was a controversy about it a while ago. It triangulates them in the same way that it does with GPS or cell signals.

MrVivekB

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
You can use the hot spot feature on your phone to connect the Wifi version and use GPS off the tablet around town.. I do it for car meets, makes it easier to see directions.

Posted via Android Central App

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does this mean that I can use my Nexus 7 as an on-dash GPS as long as I hotspot my Nexus 5 phone? The extra 2" of real estate would be nice on a mapping app.

jolphil

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
What I have found is that the GPS will work all the time without WiFi but it needs map update information.In the case of Google maps, they will only allow downloading of maps to very local areas.You need to get a GPS app that allows a downloaded map of your entire
area. I use an open source GPS app called OsAnd and I use the free version. It allows you to download a few free maps and if you want more then there is a charge for that..In my case that covers mostly where I want to go..It also gives street verbal instructions and for the most part works pretty well..My only complaint is the UI which for me is a bit difficult to use..There are also other apps in the play store but as I mentioned, you need to get one with downloaded maps so it will work without WiFi..
If you have the N7 with the LTE you do not need the above as Google maps should work fine.
Goodluck

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Yup, all models of Nexus 7 (including last year's models) have a GPS sensor. It is good to know that the Google Maps navigation has some issues when not connected to a data connection, which it needs to download maps (though you can set them to be available offline), and to find route information. But the GPS sensor is there and works great. :)

What I have found is that the GPS will work all the time without WiFi but it needs map update information.In the case of Google maps, they will only allow downloading of maps to very local areas.You need to get a GPS app that allows a downloaded map of your entire
area. I use an open source GPS app called OsAnd and I use the free version. It allows you to download a few free maps and if you want more then there is a charge for that..In my case that covers mostly where I want to go..It also gives street verbal instructions and for the most part works pretty well..My only complaint is the UI which for me is a bit difficult to use..There are also other apps in the play store but as I mentioned, you need to get one with downloaded maps so it will work without WiFi..
If you have the N7 with the LTE you do not need the above as Google maps should work fine.
Goodluck

Question, how does the device cache the local maps? I didn't have to tell mine to download maps to use offline. (I am aware of this feature, but never used it).

When does the device know to download more map areas based on my new location, or when I use it, when would I know I've crossed the edge of the cached maps?

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I use an app called Copilot and have most of the east coast stored in my Nexus. I believe you can select an even larger area when you sign up for the app. You have to drive pretty far to run out of map.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
What I have found is that the GPS will work all the time without WiFi ...

____

Not on mine. My gps has never worked all the time, with or withput wifi. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Been that way since day one, last July, when I got it.

KazzarTeK

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to bring up an old thread, i'm having some problems with the gps fix. can someone tell me where is located the gps antenna or the gps module/chip?

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to guess the antenna is located back cover. I think that is where it is on the early model. Make sure the back cover is seated properly. It is possible the contacts to the antenna need a cleaning.

KazzarTeK

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
ohmslaw, thank you for your reply.

that was my first thought, so i removed the back cover to tried to clean the contacts, but then i found that the only contacts on the back cover are the nfc antenna (right on the attached file) and the inductive charging (left)... can anyone shed some light on the subject? i would really appreciate it.
thank you.

AAA.jpg

bpsanborn

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely Yes... in fact it is a very accurate GPS implementation. I use it to run an aircraft navigation app (iFLY). I take it on every flight as a backup for my instrument panel mounted GPS unit. The Nexus 7 is very popular in the pilot community because the the GPS is reliable and is accurate enough to qualify for airplane navigation.