Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

You need the hard drive connected to an AC (or DC) power source.

S IV via Tapatalk IV
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    You need the hard drive connected to an AC (or DC) power source.

S IV via Tapatalk IV
    But it's not possible. How do you connect a hard drive to a power source :S

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

I couldn't get used to the small screen. I already have a phone with a 5" screen and realized that, for me, the Nexus 7 wasn't really giving me anything (that I wanted) that my phone couldn't. I realized for tablets I need between 8" and 11" to differentiate from the phone experience.
    Similar situation here. I have up my Nexus 7 when I got a bigger sized phone, because there wasn't a while lot of difference any more with size. However, to me, the Note 8 is just hugely expensive beyond reason. For me, the 8.9 inch Kindle Fire had the generous screen real estate I wanted, but at a nicer price. Probably going to upgrade next month to the new 8.9 HDX, with the fastest processor of any tablet and a screen that likewise beats any Android tablet and ties the latest IPad.

Sent from my KFJWI using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
    But it's not possible. How do you connect a hard drive to a power source :S
    Assuming you're not pulling my arm (all?) 3.5" external hard drives come with power supplies.
    Banned

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

IMO how can one compare the two different devices with two different screen sizes?...I think hands down the Nexus 7 for a 7inch device is the best out as of right now..Those specs and at that price it really is a great device...
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by muddy211 View Post
    IMO how can one compare the two different devices with two different screen sizes?...I think hands down the Nexus 7 for a 7inch device is the best out as of right now..Those specs and at that price it really is a great device...
    For a 7" device the Nexus is hard to beat. However, if you take the specs out of the equation and just look at the utility of the device comparisons it may be easier to see how comparisons can be made.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

Assuming you're not pulling my arm (all?) 3.5" external hard drives come with power supplies.
    I have this one:

http://store.westerndigital.com/stor...oryID.57008700

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

Just read that the Nexus 10 2 will be announced on October 14, is this official?

Banned

Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I have this one:

http://store.westerndigital.com/stor...oryID.57008700

That is not gonna work unless you plug it into a powered USB hub, which you then plug into your OTG cable.

S IV
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

That is not gonna work unless you plug it into a powered USB hub, which you then plug into your OTG cable.

S IV
    Thank you for all the helpful info. Now I think I might wait for the Nexus 10 2 announcement before purchasing one.

Western Digital 'Passport' external hard drives do not have a power connection except for the USB cable.
    You just have to buy a brand that does, or find one that uses batteries. ;-)
    Thanked by:

Hello, I hope this post helps. Have any of you heard of a USB otg y cable? These are used for the nexus 4 and have 2 ports instead of one, shaped like a y. one is the USB, and one is to connect to an external power source, e.g. wall outlet. Perhaps there is a model that can give enough electricity for a hard drive. Hope this helps. :-) :-) :-)

Posted via my weird GT-P3113

Quote Originally Posted by techydavid View Post
    Hello, I hope this post helps. Have any of you heard of a USB otg y cable? These are used for the nexus 4 and have 2 ports instead of one, shaped like a y. one is the USB, and one is to connect to an external power source, e.g. wall outlet. Perhaps there is a model that can give enough electricity for a hard drive. Hope this helps. :-) :-) :-)

Have they been used for that purpose with the Nexus 4 or other devices? I'm not sure if it would transfer the power properly...
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

This was not created for the n4, it is just required for the n4.

So I think it's universal.

Using a hard drive would be bit of a pain due to the extra bulk. You would be better off using a jump drive for your extra storage since you wouldn't need to worry about additional power. This goes with any tablet, including the Nexus 10.

However, after reading your initial post, I don't think you would even need additional storage. I have had 2 seasons of Dr Who along with tons of apps and a couple dozen games (many of them pretty large). Right now, my storage is 11.72 GB of apps (mostly games), 2.8GB of pictures and videos, and 256MB of music. I have never had to delete something because I was running out of space. Once I have watched a video, I delete it and load them as needed.

Unless you are trying to load entire movie collections on your device, space won't be an issue.

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts

Will a Western Digital hard drive work?

My 2012 N7 works with my 2 Western Digital Passport 500GB drives (used individually) without the need for external power. However, my 1TB Passport draws too much power and doesn't work with the N7.

addendum: I prefer using 64GB thumb drives due to size.

If I was you I'd wait for 2013 Nexus 10. It's right around the corner. Make a decision then.
    By the way, take a look at this app too. It requires root but it's free and much "lighter" than The other one. It basically mounts your USB and that's it... Kinda like you use USB on your computer
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ire.stickmount

I have nexus 7 and a 5" phone and think they complement each other very well. When I'm home or on a plane, I use nexus 7 because the screen is bigger. It's just easier on your eyes. But I also like that it's easy to hold in one hand and you can put it in most pockets (if not to carry, at least temporary to free your hands).

Just make sure to test the screen responsiveness when you get it (especially zooming maps with fingers crossing Y axis)... The initial build had some bad batches. I had to exchange mine but absolutely love it now. Can't beat it

Absolutely. You'll need to get an app from the Play Store called Nexus Media Importer since the Nexus devices don't offer OTG support out if the box the the app is only a couple of dollars.

from my Sony XTZ
    I wasn't aware of that either thx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    reedbri likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    Using a hard drive would be bit of a pain due to the extra bulk. You would be better off using a jump drive for your extra storage since you wouldn't need to worry about additional power. This goes with any tablet, including the Nexus 10.

However, after reading your initial post, I don't think you would even need additional storage. I have had 2 seasons of Dr Who along with tons of apps and a couple dozen games (many of them pretty large). Right now, my storage is 11.72 GB of apps (mostly games), 2.8GB of pictures and videos, and 256MB of music. I have never had to delete something because I was running out of space. Once I have watched a video, I delete it and load them as needed.

Unless you are trying to load entire movie collections on your device, space won't be an issue.
    I know that storage won't be an issue for me. It's just that I would like it if I could use my external hard drive with the Nexus because I have most of my burned DVDs stored on the hard drive and it would be nice if I can take my entire movie collection with me because I won't know what I'd be in the mood for.

Quote Originally Posted by tflash View Post
    Western Digital 'Passport' external hard drives do not have a power connection except for the USB cable.
    You just have to buy a brand that does, or find one that uses batteries. ;-)
    Can you recommend some brands that do?

I know that storage won't be an issue for me. It's just that I would like it if I could use my external hard drive with the Nexus because I have most of my burned DVDs stored on the hard drive and it would be nice if I can take my entire movie collection with me because I won't know what I'd be in the mood for.

Wouldn't the Seagate goflex satellite 500gb wireless hard drive for $100 solve your problem. Battery, lots of storage and with the right app can play and move your movie files from the goflex to the Nexus. I use the newer wireless plus model and it does a pretty good job at watching media wirelessly and has the battery built in, plus if you copy a movie over to the nexus rather than stream it, you can make the battery last a lot longer.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post

This is an HD device. One HD movie can be > 20 GB, that's hardly an entire movie collection.

That's a fair point, but you will be sorely disappointed if you think any tablet is going to be different in that respect. They are all going to require for your hard drive to be powered from an external source because your drive needs power to spin the disc and that power isn't going to be supplied from a micro USB port. Your best bet is to use a product that is specifically designed for mobile storage that has a battery. Something like this:

Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB Mobile Wireless Storage (Black) - Newegg.com
    Thanked by:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

A wireless hard drive, why didn't I think of that, excellent! Thank you both, Diknak and callanish for suggesting it

It's not the brand you have to worry about, its the type. You need the Desktop kind.

Western Digital makes both types, desktop and portable. The "Passport" (what you have) is the portable kind. The Desktop one is called "My Book", and looks like this....

WD My Book

But if you're going to buy a whole new HD, then you're probably better off getting a wireless (or WiFi) one. Those can be accessed from multiple devices at the same time; computer or handheld devices.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast