Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 64
Like Tree6Likes
  1. #26  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    You need the hard drive connected to an AC (or DC) power source.

    S IV via Tapatalk IV
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  
    Gazella's Avatar

    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    You need the hard drive connected to an AC (or DC) power source.

    S IV via Tapatalk IV
    But it's not possible. How do you connect a hard drive to a power source :S

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
  3. #28  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I couldn't get used to the small screen. I already have a phone with a 5" screen and realized that, for me, the Nexus 7 wasn't really giving me anything (that I wanted) that my phone couldn't. I realized for tablets I need between 8" and 11" to differentiate from the phone experience.
    Similar situation here. I have up my Nexus 7 when I got a bigger sized phone, because there wasn't a while lot of difference any more with size. However, to me, the Note 8 is just hugely expensive beyond reason. For me, the 8.9 inch Kindle Fire had the generous screen real estate I wanted, but at a nicer price. Probably going to upgrade next month to the new 8.9 HDX, with the fastest processor of any tablet and a screen that likewise beats any Android tablet and ties the latest IPad.


    Sent from my KFJWI using Android Central Forums
  4. #29  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
    But it's not possible. How do you connect a hard drive to a power source :S
    Assuming you're not pulling my arm (all?) 3.5" external hard drives come with power supplies.
  5. #30  
    muddy211's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    IMO how can one compare the two different devices with two different screen sizes?...I think hands down the Nexus 7 for a 7inch device is the best out as of right now..Those specs and at that price it really is a great device...
  6. #31  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by muddy211 View Post
    IMO how can one compare the two different devices with two different screen sizes?...I think hands down the Nexus 7 for a 7inch device is the best out as of right now..Those specs and at that price it really is a great device...
    For a 7" device the Nexus is hard to beat. However, if you take the specs out of the equation and just look at the utility of the device comparisons it may be easier to see how comparisons can be made.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  
    Gazella's Avatar

    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Assuming you're not pulling my arm (all?) 3.5" external hard drives come with power supplies.
    I have this one:

    http://store.westerndigital.com/stor...oryID.57008700

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  
    Gazella's Avatar

    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Just read that the Nexus 10 2 will be announced on October 14, is this official?

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
  9. #34  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
    I have this one:

    http://store.westerndigital.com/stor...oryID.57008700

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
    That is not gonna work unless you plug it into a powered USB hub, which you then plug into your OTG cable.

    S IV
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  
    Gazella's Avatar

    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    That is not gonna work unless you plug it into a powered USB hub, which you then plug into your OTG cable.

    S IV
    Thank you for all the helpful info. Now I think I might wait for the Nexus 10 2 announcement before purchasing one.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
  11. #36  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Assuming you're not pulling my arm (all?) 3.5" external hard drives come with power supplies.
    Western Digital 'Passport' external hard drives do not have a power connection except for the USB cable.
    You just have to buy a brand that does, or find one that uses batteries. ;-)
    Thanked by:
  12. #37  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Hello, I hope this post helps. Have any of you heard of a USB otg y cable? These are used for the nexus 4 and have 2 ports instead of one, shaped like a y. one is the USB, and one is to connect to an external power source, e.g. wall outlet. Perhaps there is a model that can give enough electricity for a hard drive. Hope this helps. :-) :-) :-)

    Posted via my weird GT-P3113
  13. #38  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by techydavid View Post
    Hello, I hope this post helps. Have any of you heard of a USB otg y cable? These are used for the nexus 4 and have 2 ports instead of one, shaped like a y. one is the USB, and one is to connect to an external power source, e.g. wall outlet. Perhaps there is a model that can give enough electricity for a hard drive. Hope this helps. :-) :-) :-)

    Posted via my weird GT-P3113
    Have they been used for that purpose with the Nexus 4 or other devices? I'm not sure if it would transfer the power properly...
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
  14. #39  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    This was not created for the n4, it is just required for the n4.

    Posted via my weird GT-P3113
  15. #40  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    So I think it's universal.

    Posted via my weird GT-P3113
  16. #41  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Using a hard drive would be bit of a pain due to the extra bulk. You would be better off using a jump drive for your extra storage since you wouldn't need to worry about additional power. This goes with any tablet, including the Nexus 10.

    However, after reading your initial post, I don't think you would even need additional storage. I have had 2 seasons of Dr Who along with tons of apps and a couple dozen games (many of them pretty large). Right now, my storage is 11.72 GB of apps (mostly games), 2.8GB of pictures and videos, and 256MB of music. I have never had to delete something because I was running out of space. Once I have watched a video, I delete it and load them as needed.

    Unless you are trying to load entire movie collections on your device, space won't be an issue.
  17. #42  
    sparksd's Avatar

    Posts
    656 Posts
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
    Will a Western Digital hard drive work?

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
    My 2012 N7 works with my 2 Western Digital Passport 500GB drives (used individually) without the need for external power. However, my 1TB Passport draws too much power and doesn't work with the N7.

    addendum: I prefer using 64GB thumb drives due to size.
  18. #43  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    If I was you I'd wait for 2013 Nexus 10. It's right around the corner. Make a decision then.
    By the way, take a look at this app too. It requires root but it's free and much "lighter" than The other one. It basically mounts your USB and that's it... Kinda like you use USB on your computer
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ire.stickmount

    I have nexus 7 and a 5" phone and think they complement each other very well. When I'm home or on a plane, I use nexus 7 because the screen is bigger. It's just easier on your eyes. But I also like that it's easy to hold in one hand and you can put it in most pockets (if not to carry, at least temporary to free your hands).

    Just make sure to test the screen responsiveness when you get it (especially zooming maps with fingers crossing Y axis)... The initial build had some bad batches. I had to exchange mine but absolutely love it now. Can't beat it
  19. #44  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Absolutely. You'll need to get an app from the Play Store called Nexus Media Importer since the Nexus devices don't offer OTG support out if the box the the app is only a couple of dollars.

    from my Sony XTZ
    I wasn't aware of that either thx

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    reedbri likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  
    Gazella's Avatar

    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    Using a hard drive would be bit of a pain due to the extra bulk. You would be better off using a jump drive for your extra storage since you wouldn't need to worry about additional power. This goes with any tablet, including the Nexus 10.

    However, after reading your initial post, I don't think you would even need additional storage. I have had 2 seasons of Dr Who along with tons of apps and a couple dozen games (many of them pretty large). Right now, my storage is 11.72 GB of apps (mostly games), 2.8GB of pictures and videos, and 256MB of music. I have never had to delete something because I was running out of space. Once I have watched a video, I delete it and load them as needed.

    Unless you are trying to load entire movie collections on your device, space won't be an issue.
    I know that storage won't be an issue for me. It's just that I would like it if I could use my external hard drive with the Nexus because I have most of my burned DVDs stored on the hard drive and it would be nice if I can take my entire movie collection with me because I won't know what I'd be in the mood for.

    Quote Originally Posted by tflash View Post
    Western Digital 'Passport' external hard drives do not have a power connection except for the USB cable.
    You just have to buy a brand that does, or find one that uses batteries. ;-)
    Can you recommend some brands that do?
  21. #46  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
    I know that storage won't be an issue for me. It's just that I would like it if I could use my external hard drive with the Nexus because I have most of my burned DVDs stored on the hard drive and it would be nice if I can take my entire movie collection with me because I won't know what I'd be in the mood for.



    Can you recommend some brands that do?
    Wouldn't the Seagate goflex satellite 500gb wireless hard drive for $100 solve your problem. Battery, lots of storage and with the right app can play and move your movie files from the goflex to the Nexus. I use the newer wireless plus model and it does a pretty good job at watching media wirelessly and has the battery built in, plus if you copy a movie over to the nexus rather than stream it, you can make the battery last a lot longer.
    Thanked by:
  22. #47  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    Using a hard drive would be bit of a pain due to the extra bulk. You would be better off using a jump drive for your extra storage since you wouldn't need to worry about additional power. This goes with any tablet, including the Nexus 10.

    However, after reading your initial post, I don't think you would even need additional storage. I have had 2 seasons of Dr Who along with tons of apps and a couple dozen games (many of them pretty large). Right now, my storage is 11.72 GB of apps (mostly games), 2.8GB of pictures and videos, and 256MB of music. I have never had to delete something because I was running out of space. Once I have watched a video, I delete it and load them as needed.

    Unless you are trying to load entire movie collections on your device, space won't be an issue.
    This is an HD device. One HD movie can be > 20 GB, that's hardly an entire movie collection.
  23. #48  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
    I know that storage won't be an issue for me. It's just that I would like it if I could use my external hard drive with the Nexus because I have most of my burned DVDs stored on the hard drive and it would be nice if I can take my entire movie collection with me because I won't know what I'd be in the mood for.
    That's a fair point, but you will be sorely disappointed if you think any tablet is going to be different in that respect. They are all going to require for your hard drive to be powered from an external source because your drive needs power to spin the disc and that power isn't going to be supplied from a micro USB port. Your best bet is to use a product that is specifically designed for mobile storage that has a battery. Something like this:

    Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB Mobile Wireless Storage (Black) - Newegg.com
    Thanked by:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  
    Gazella's Avatar

    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    A wireless hard drive, why didn't I think of that, excellent! Thank you both, Diknak and callanish for suggesting it

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
  25. #50  

    Default Re: iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
    Can you recommend some brands that do?
    It's not the brand you have to worry about, its the type. You need the Desktop kind.

    Western Digital makes both types, desktop and portable. The "Passport" (what you have) is the portable kind. The Desktop one is called "My Book", and looks like this....

    WD My Book

    But if you're going to buy a whole new HD, then you're probably better off getting a wireless (or WiFi) one. Those can be accessed from multiple devices at the same time; computer or handheld devices.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Windows Phone user interested in Nexus 4: Some questions
    By rohitsingh in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 10:13 AM
  2. Sold: WTS: Google Nexus 4 (8GB)
    By iFebby in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 02:34 PM
  3. Now that the Note 3 is about to be released within days...
    By awesomedeals88 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 05:48 PM
  4. Help, twitter apps can't connect to twitter
    By rubbles88 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 10:24 AM
  5. transfer app phone to sd card
    By Rodney456 in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 05:11 AM

Posting Permissions