iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I've dumped my iPhone 5 after years of using iPhones and have switched to the HTC One about a month ago and never again am I going back, and since I'm now loving Android more and more everyday I'm thinking of fully making the transition to Android by replacing my iPad 3 with a Nexus 7 (2013). I've read and watched many reviews on Google's latest tablet and have found it to be perfect for my needs. But before I go and buy one I have a couple of questions.

Anyone here with the 32GB and running out of storage space? Since there isn't a 64GB version nor an SD card for additional storage. I'll be using it to browse the Web, check emails, download/play a few casual games, apps, and have like 2-4 episodes of my TV shows on it, which I then usually delete and replace with new ones when I finish watching them but no more than 4 and probably even only 3 eps.

Anyone here use their Nexus to watch shows/movies on? Is the 7" display comfortable for that? I've never had a tablet less than 9" but I love the size of the Nexus, it doesn't seem too small or too big, however I haven't seen it in person.

Last question, are you loving your Nexus 7 2nd gen. in other words, would you recommend it? Or do you regret ever buying it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
You could be me. I went last month from an iPhone 4 to an HTC One, and then an iPad 3 to a Nexus 7 (2013). Absolutely no regrets, and I love that the Nexus fits so easily in my jacket pocket. I really like this devices.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 7 is not a bad tablet at all but unless you really have problems with your iPad 3 you may be disappointed. Apple's tablet ecosystem is simply superior to Android's at the moment. That may not be that big of an issue for you, as it wasn't for me. The screen on the iPad 3 is, well, honestly, gorgeous. The Nexus 7's is nice looking too, and quite sharp, but quite a bit smaller than the iPad 3's. The Nexus 7 is a lot lighter too and that may be a trade-off you'd prefer. However, unless cost is really a limiting factor or you want to move to a smaller and, therefore, lighter device you may want to consider a larger tablet. The Note 8.0/Tab 3 8.0 is a good compromise between size and weight is the Nexus 10 and similar sized Android tablet have a lot to offer as well.

I'm not knocking the Nexus 7. I had one. It's small and light with a sharp screen and you can't beat the price/performance ratio. Just be sure that you're ready to leave the iPad. I'm not a fan of iOS, and I LOVE my Xperia Tablet Z and Note 8.0 but the iPad is generally a winner.

...just one perspective.

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 7 is not a bad tablet at all but unless you really have problems with your iPad 3 you may be disappointed. Apple's tablet ecosystem is simply superior to Android's at the moment. That may not be that big of an issue for you, as it wasn't for me. The screen on the iPad 3 is, well, honestly, gorgeous. The Nexus 7's is nice looking too, and quite sharp, but quite a bit smaller than the iPad 3's. The Nexus 7 is a lot lighter too and that may be a trade-off you'd prefer. However, unless cost is really a limiting factor or you want to move to a smaller and, therefore, lighter device you may want to consider a larger tablet. The Note 8.0/Tab 3 8.0 is a good compromise between size and weight is the Nexus 10 and similar sized Android tablet have a lot to offer as well.

I'm not knocking the Nexus 7. I had one. It's small and light with a sharp screen and you can't beat the price/performance ratio. Just be sure that you're ready to leave the iPad. I'm not a fan of iOS, and I LOVE my Xperia Tablet Z and Note 8.0 but the iPad is generally a winner.

...just one perspective.

You 'had' one, which means you don't anymore? Out of curiosity, what was it you didn't like about the Nexus? I get what you're saying, the iPad 3's screen is good, however, I'm finding it a bit big and uncomfortable to hold, also, the charging time is so very slow. I've been meaning to sell it for a lighter and smaller-sized tablet for a while now but I wasn't able to find the tablet to replace it with. I just read about the Nexus and I don't know, I felt like it'd be a great replacement.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You 'had' one, which means you don't anymore? Out of curiosity, what was it you didn't like about the Nexus? I get what you're saying, the iPad 3's screen is good, however, I'm finding it a bit big and uncomfortable to hold, also, the charging time is so very slow. I've been meaning to sell it for a lighter and smaller-sized tablet for a while now but I wasn't able to find the tablet to replace it with. I just read about the Nexus and I don't know, I felt like it'd be a great replacement.
I couldn't get used to the small screen. I already have a phone with a 5" screen and realized that, for me, the Nexus 7 wasn't really giving me anything (that I wanted) that my phone couldn't. I realized for tablets I need between 8" and 11" to differentiate from the phone experience.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I've dumped my iPhone 5 after years of using iPhones and have switched to the HTC One about a month ago and never again am I going back, and since I'm now loving Android more and more everyday I'm thinking of fully making the transition to Android by replacing my iPad 3 with a Nexus 7 (2013). I've read and watched many reviews on Google's latest tablet and have found it to be perfect for my needs. But before I go and buy one I have a couple of questions.

Anyone here with the 32GB and running out of storage space? Since there isn't a 64GB version nor an SD card for additional storage. I'll be using it to browse the Web, check emails, download/play a few casual games, apps, and have like 2-4 episodes of my TV shows on it, which I then usually delete and replace with new ones when I finish watching them but no more than 4 and probably even only 3 eps.

Anyone here use their Nexus to watch shows/movies on? Is the 7" display comfortable for that? I've never had a tablet less than 9" but I love the size of the Nexus, it doesn't seem too small or too big, however I haven't seen it in person.

Last question, are you loving your Nexus 7 2nd gen. in other words, would you recommend it? Or do you regret ever buying it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

32GB shouldn't be an issue based on your requirements, but if you still need more you can always get an OTG cable and plug in any flash drive to watch a movie collection. You'll just also need an app such as Nexus Media Importer for the device to recognize the flash drive, A cable and the app should cost you less than $15 - $20.

7" may be a bit small for some but if you are finding the iPad too large for comfort you may be happy with 7". If not, the Nexus 10 is a great device and if you can wait a bit longer there should be a new one coming out later this year.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android! Your use sounds similar to mine, and I have no problems with storage. In fact, I probably have 18 gb still available, while having a few TV programs, a dozen games (some quite large), 10-12 albums stored locally (I use my phone more often than not for music), and a few books and magazines stored locally.

I do think screen size is a tradeoff. I also owned an ipad 2, and while the larger screen is nice for TV/movie viewing, it's worse for portability, book reading, gaming, etc. Obviously, that's just my opinion, but I find that at the end of the day, I prefer to give up some screen real estate in exchange for the other advantages.

And finally, I love this device. The display is gorgeous, it's just the right size, mine works without issue, and the Android tablet ecosystem is perfectly fine in my opinion. Now, the size of the N7 does give it an advantage in that a lot of phone apps look fine at this display size (Facebook for example looks fine at 7 inches...not so much at 10 inches on the N10).

Give it a spin...I think you'll be happy!

Posted via Android Central App

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
32GB shouldn't be an issue based on your requirements, but if you still need more you can always get an OTG cable and plug in any flash drive to watch a movie collection. You'll just also need an app such as Nexus Media Importer for the device to recognize the flash drive, A cable and the app should cost you less than $15 - $20.

So I can connect an external hard drive to a Nexus via an OTG cable?? :D

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So I can connect an external hard drive to a Nexus via an OTG cable?? :D

Absolutely. You'll need to get an app from the Play Store called Nexus Media Importer since the Nexus devices don't offer OTG support out if the box the the app is only a couple of dollars.

from my Sony XTZ

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely. You'll need to get an app from the Play Store called Nexus Media Importer since the Nexus devices don't offer OTG support out if the box the the app is only a couple of dollars.

from my Sony XTZ

That is soo cool!! I had no idea! :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That's one of the cool things about Android. For a hard drive, you'll need to have a powered one but other than that you'll be set.

from my Sony XTZ

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Your Phone isn't gonna supply enough voltage to power a hard drive like a laptop would. So, you'll need to connect the hard drive to another power source. However, most phones power SD card readers and flash drives just fine.

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Your Phone isn't gonna supply enough voltage to power a hard drive like a laptop would. So, you'll need to connect the hard drive to another power source. However, most phones power SD card readers and flash drives just fine.

Not without an external power supply, and of course a USB interface.

Guys, by external power source/supply you mean like an external battery pack, right?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm still waiting on delivery for the

Meenova.com, Welcome

It'll solve my storage needs. I've ran movies off of the external otg cable and flash drive using nexus media importer, so a 32gb or 64gb micro SD card using this meenova device should help for backups and added media content.

Still waiting on it getting shipped out though!

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Guys, by external power source/supply you mean like an external battery pack, right?
All hard drives require power in order to spin the disk.

Some (like the ones meant for desktop use) have built-in fans, which require more power. Those are AC powered and plug into wall outlets. They come with power cords, just like any electrical device would. Those WILL work with the Nexus, because they are externally powered.

But most of the little portable HD's don't have fans and don't require as much power, so instead, they draw their power from the USB port of whatever it's plugged into. Those are USB powered only. They don't even have a hole for plugging a cord into, and therefore unable to be powered by either AC or battery pack. Therefore, they will NOT work with the Nexus, because the tablet is not strong enough to power them.

So bottom line is, any HD that can be powered by an external source (either AC or battery pack) will work fine. Usually only desktop models do that, but there might be some portable ones out there that can be plugged in.

You mentioned Western Digital, but I think they make both kinds. I have the desktop one. It sits upright (like a thick book on a shelf) and plugs into a wall outlet. That one WILL work. However, I think all of their portable versions run off USB power only, so those WON'T work.

Flash drives, on the other hand, ALL work fine . They use such a tiny amount of power, the Nexus is able to power them via the USB connection. Although they will drain the battery a little faster, so you might want to choose an OTG dongle that has an extra hole for the charger to plug into while using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance