Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

    All,

    Originally, I had no issues connecting my N7 to my PC. When connected, my PC not only found the device, but I was able to navigate around the file structure to retrieve files off the N7 and put files on my tablet. I tried doing so last night and the PC didn't mount/recognize the tablet. In fact, when I plugged the N7 in an available USB port, nothing happened at all. I know the USB ports on my computer work since I have other devices (i.e.: mouse, keyboard, external harddrive, etc...) plugged in.

    Any suggestions???

    J
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

    Quote Originally Posted by jstwondrng View Post
    All,

    Originally, I had no issues connecting my N7 to my PC. When connected, my PC not only found the device, but I was able to navigate around the file structure to retrieve files off the N7 and put files on my tablet. I tried doing so last night and the PC didn't mount/recognize the tablet. In fact, when I plugged the N7 in an available USB port, nothing happened at all. I know the USB ports on my computer work since I have other devices (i.e.: mouse, keyboard, external harddrive, etc...) plugged in.

    Any suggestions???

    J
    I've found USB connections to be less than completely reliable even for my non-mobile computer peripherals. Try moving your USB connections around and plugging the N7's USB cable into a different USB port on the computer. If that doesn't work, maybe try re-booting the N7 and the PC, just to see if that clears anything out that might be blocking a connection.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

    Are your USB connection settings on your tablet still set to Media device (MTP)?
    Pat

    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

    Are you using the same USB cable you used last time? Is it the OEM cable or a third party (or "universal") cable?

    Some USB cables are for charging only, and not data capable. Some are data only. And some can handle both. The OEM does both.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

    Quote Originally Posted by vmurph View Post
    Are you using the same USB cable you used last time? Is it the OEM cable or a third party (or "universal") cable?

    Some USB cables are for charging only, and not data capable. Some are data only. And some can handle both. The OEM does both.
    Thanks vmurph! That was the problem. I attached the ASUS cable and had no issues whatsoever. Thanks for all of your help.

    J
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

    Quote Originally Posted by jstwondrng View Post
    Thanks vmurph! That was the problem. I attached the ASUS cable and had no issues whatsoever. Thanks for all of your help.
    You're very welcome
  7. #7  

    Talking Re: Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

    problem solved! go to SETTINGS then STORAGE, ,NOW you see a "usb symbol" found at most upper right then click that, now you see a options for media device (mtp) and camera (ptp)..
  8. #8  

    Default t my mobile through usb cable usb mass storage dosen't come on my mobile it only get

    when i connect my mobile through usb cable usb mass storage doesn't come on my mobile it only get charging but the mobile is not getting detected
  9. #9  

    Default Re: t my mobile through usb cable usb mass storage dosen't come on my mobile it only get

    Welcome to Android Central! Which device do you have? If you have a Nexus 7 (which this thread is about), that device doesn't have the ability to connect as USB Mass Storage--only MTP or PTP.

    If you have a different device, consider posting in the appropriate subforum, if available--otherwise post in the General Help & How To forum.

    When you plug the device into the computer, is there a USB notification in the Notification Bar?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

    When I got this device MTP mode wouldn't show up because there were adb drivers from different device install on the computer, this is even when USB debugging was disabled. I had to uninstall drivers for other Android devices and also when connect the N7, go into Device Manager, right click on any adb device or portable MTP devices and uninstall the driver and check the box to delete the driver. Them replug it and it should try to install a new device, it have to be called "Nexus 7" to be correct.

    sent via tapatalk
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

    Quote Originally Posted by STSVA View Post
    I've found USB connections to be less than completely reliable even for my non-mobile computer peripherals. Try moving your USB connections around and plugging the N7's USB cable into a different USB port on the computer. If that doesn't work, maybe try re-booting the N7 and the PC, just to see if that clears anything out that might be blocking a connection.
    Thanks! After trying other ports, I rebooted and Voila! I am found again! Thanks so much!
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

    FYI if you ever have problems with this again and need to transfer things over you can use AirDroid to do so over wifi. Not a permanent fix but an alternative.

Similar Threads

  1. iPad 3 to Nexus 7 2013
    By Gazella in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM
  2. Now that the Note 3 is about to be released within days...
    By awesomedeals88 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 06:48 PM
  3. Help, twitter apps can't connect to twitter
    By rubbles88 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 11:24 AM
  4. transfer app phone to sd card
    By Rodney456 in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 06:11 AM
  5. Always having to set preferences
    By Cj_davies in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 03:45 AM

Posting Permissions