1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

All,

Originally, I had no issues connecting my N7 to my PC. When connected, my PC not only found the device, but I was able to navigate around the file structure to retrieve files off the N7 and put files on my tablet. I tried doing so last night and the PC didn't mount/recognize the tablet. In fact, when I plugged the N7 in an available USB port, nothing happened at all. I know the USB ports on my computer work since I have other devices (i.e.: mouse, keyboard, external harddrive, etc...) plugged in.

Any suggestions???

J

Default Re: Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

Quote Originally Posted by jstwondrng View Post
    All,

Originally, I had no issues connecting my N7 to my PC. When connected, my PC not only found the device, but I was able to navigate around the file structure to retrieve files off the N7 and put files on my tablet. I tried doing so last night and the PC didn't mount/recognize the tablet. In fact, when I plugged the N7 in an available USB port, nothing happened at all. I know the USB ports on my computer work since I have other devices (i.e.: mouse, keyboard, external harddrive, etc...) plugged in.

Any suggestions???

J
    I've found USB connections to be less than completely reliable even for my non-mobile computer peripherals. Try moving your USB connections around and plugging the N7's USB cable into a different USB port on the computer. If that doesn't work, maybe try re-booting the N7 and the PC, just to see if that clears anything out that might be blocking a connection.

Are your USB connection settings on your tablet still set to Media device (MTP)?
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Are you using the same USB cable you used last time? Is it the OEM cable or a third party (or "universal") cable?

Some USB cables are for charging only, and not data capable. Some are data only. And some can handle both. The OEM does both.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by vmurph View Post
    Are you using the same USB cable you used last time? Is it the OEM cable or a third party (or "universal") cable?

Some USB cables are for charging only, and not data capable. Some are data only. And some can handle both. The OEM does both.
    Thanks vmurph! That was the problem. I attached the ASUS cable and had no issues whatsoever. Thanks for all of your help.

J

Quote Originally Posted by jstwondrng View Post
    Thanks vmurph! That was the problem. I attached the ASUS cable and had no issues whatsoever. Thanks for all of your help.
    You're very welcome