Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - TalkBack: changes touch or is faulty

I enabled TalkBack through Accessibility to see what it does.

I ended up on the phone with Google support.

I could no longer pull down the Quick settings menu from the upper left corner, nor pull down the Notifications menu from the right corner/top. Meaning: no access to settings.

In addition, I discovered that I needed 2 fingers to scroll. Eventually figured it out.

I found I needed 3 clicks to launch an icon. The first click selects the icon with a little box. Then a double click is needed to actually launch the program. 3 clicks!

I might add all these "little discoveries" were made after a lot of experimenting and, well, anger.

All the while TalkBack is chattering away - just not helping with this new approach.

How to quickly disable TalkBack? Since I could not pull down settings on the front page, I went into apps to find settings. But I could not just swipe left or right to get a new page of apps. No.

No, I needed to swipe right, then left, in one motion, to actually pull the next page of apps over from the right.

Mercifully, I was finally able to disable TalkBack.

And back to what appears to be a working unit.

Has anyone else tried this? There is no explanation that I found that says TalkBack will fundamentally alter the swipe/touch/click nature of the Nexus 7.

Is this a bug, or am I just not understanding that 3X clicking is normal and needed when the machine is telling you what is going on?

Red face Re: Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - TalkBack: changes touch or is faulty

I had this same difficulty on both phone and tablet. I called Verizon customer support and the phone was fixed. I was put through to LG by Verizon and they told me to hard reset my tablet. I didn't realize this was not the solution until after I hung up with the support department. His English comprehension was poor and when I asked this question, "if I wanted to use the Talk Back feature where could I locate the user instructions?" I rephrased the question 5-6 times and he still did not understand what I was asking. I stumbled upon your dilemma and was able to fix the tablet. THANK YOU! That doesn't even scratch the surface on how grateful I am. I was so upset!!!!!!

Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you

Default Re: Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - TalkBack: changes touch or is faulty

Thanks for a very useful narration. It came too late for me. I enabled Talkback to see what it does and it was like getting married to a very unpleasant and nagging wife! After trying everything else to get rid of the harpy, I had to do a factory rest. I am still picking up the pieces. My only regret is that I did not think of reading your article before reset.

Thanks for an excellent description.