Nexus 7 vs. iPad 2 - for comics.

mig_akira

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I've been using my iPad 2 for quite some time for reading comics. I also used for videos and web browsing (never for games, and ended up never using any specialized apps too).

Unfortunately, it got stolen. Now I'm thinking about replacing it, but the iPad 4 (or the new iPad 5 to come) is a bit overkill just for what I need. I learned that for more complex uses, I would just turn on my macbook. I mean, paying U$500 to read comics, I should just buy them in physical format.

So now the cost of the iPad 2 on eBay is about the same as the Nexus 7 (2013). I thought that the 9.7 inch screen was ideal for reading comics, and I didn't mind that it was low-res compared to the newer iPads. But of course, I have never used a high-res iPad, so that's why I was happy =)

Should I get the Nexus 7 instead of the iPad 2? Do you guys think I will feel cramped reading on such a small screen, or maybe it will be enough? On my iPad, I used to read on landscape, having to scroll down to see the whole page - I thought that on portrait I just couldn't read well enough, but maybe that's because of the low-res screen of the iPad 2. I think I'll be reading comics on the nexus 7 on landscape as well.

Someone who made the jump from the iPad 2 to the Nexus 7, felt cramped when reading comics?

(as for the apps I had bought on my iPad 2, doesn't really matter to me. I also have a Nexus 4, so I'm buying apps on both platforms already anyway).

Thanks a lot!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you'll have any problems with the screen size of the Nexus 7 versus that of the iPads. Have you stopped by your local tech store to see the Nexus 7 in person? It's a great device, I'm sure you'll like it.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I have compared the Ipad 2/3/4 to the Nexus 7 and one of those comparisons was Walking Dead comic.
Nexus 7 was quite a bit better for sure.

bodum02

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Nexus is also easier to hold because of the size and weight. I had an ipad 4 and returned it and bought the nexus 7 2013 model. I may have been spoiled after using the nexus 7 2012 for a year already. But really the 2013 has a great screen.

Posted via Android Central App

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Nexus is also easier to hold because of the size and weight. I had an ipad 4 and returned it and bought the nexus 7 2013 model. I may have been spoiled after using the nexus 7 2012 for a year already. But really the 2013 has a great screen.

Posted via Android Central App

I forgot to mention this, but this is DEAD on. Far more comfortable to hold.
It's very close and almost a bit more enjoyable to the actual reading of the book (I have a couple compendiums from walking dead, and quite a few gantz manga). My comic/manga collection is still new but growing.

asus_usa

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I admit, I used to use an iPad2 to read in bed. After trying out the first Nexus 7, though, I will never switch back. It is a lot more comfortable to hold - especially since I read laying almost flat on my back while holding the tablet up. The difference in screen size was noticeable for maybe the first day, but after that, it was not an issue. The 7 inch size and form factor is perfect for reading.

I still have both tablets, and they each get used in the house. However, reading is strictly done on the Nexus 7 now.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I admit, I used to use an iPad2 to read in bed. After trying out the first Nexus 7, though, I will never switch back. It is a lot more comfortable to hold - especially since I read laying almost flat on my back while holding the tablet up. The difference in screen size was noticeable for maybe the first day, but after that, it was not an issue. The 7 inch size and form factor is perfect for reading.

I still have both tablets, and they each get used in the house. However, reading is strictly done on the Nexus 7 now.

I have an iPad 2 as well. I have never been able to use it in bed. Too large and heavy.

Maybe for comics the Nexus 7 is best.

I have been finding some text a bit too small though in some apps, like Zite. I'm still looking into ways of tweaking that up a bit.

doug

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok As I avoid the Apple Eco System like a Zombie Plague I don't have that great of knowledge about how Comics are sold through it. However I would make sure any Comics you Purchased via any iOS apps will still be available to you via their android counterpart oherwise you are just throwing away all those digital comics.

My personal opinion is SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL COMIC SHOP. However I accept the fact that Digital Comics are the way of the future and early adopters will benefit the same way early adopters of MP3s benefitted from that transition.