How Can I watch Movies from my Nexus 7 to my TV? Can I even do that?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you read through the preceding posts? They all confirm that by using a SlimPort microUSB-HDMI adapter like this one (Amazon.com: SlimPort? SP1002; Connect mobile devices to any big screen. High Speed micro USB (male) to HDMI (female) connector cable (4.26cm x 2.21cm x 0.99cm)-Supports Full HD and 3D at 1080p @60Hz, 24bpp: Electronics), you can hook up your 2013 Nexus 7 to an HDTV using an HDMI cable (which is the type of cable you need for high def signal). However, the 2012 Nexus 7 (i.e., the 1st generation) does not have SlimPort capability, so this won't work on that model.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I totally get playing a game from your Nexus onto your TV, or looking at photos but I'm wondering why someone would play a movie (or music) from your Nexus into your TV? Is this technique for use with older HDTV's that can't play video content on USB drives? How does one get a movie onto your Nexus?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Ditto on Slimport! Chromecast and Miracast are too limited. Slimport works with everything, video players, streaming, games...

But 'icwhatudidthere' is right; a few apps don't support 'video-out', so Slimport won't work with those apps. No adapter will, for that matter.

Luckily though, only very few apps don't allow video-out. Mostly its just the stingy Cable TV apps like Time Warner Cable, HBO, and Showtime, etc.

BTW, last I checked, they were almost impossible to get on Amazon. And when they were available, they were somewhere around $35 to $50. They have other, cheaper brands, but judging by the reviews, they're crap.

Your best bet for a Slimport adapter is eBay. I got a genuine Slimport for $16 and it works fantastic. There's a lot of knock-offs out there, so I'd look for a seller with excellent feedback.

Does this include Netflix Streaming?

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
You CANwatch locally stored movies from chromecast, you just have to be smart about it...

Setup a Plex server and add your movies to the library. Then pay plex for premium membership. Then install plex on your android device. Then click the little icon to send it to chromecast. Works wonders on my kids tv in the attic... And I can have them watch netflix, youtube or locally stored movies through plex, og remotely stored movies from a friends plex...

jackdps

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
How about uploading the movie from the nexus7 to GoogleDrive, then steaming through Chromecast...no cost, easy, no new set-up, no fancy cables/adaptors.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I know not everyone is into miracast or wants it but...

I got a tronsmart T1000 a few weeks ago. It didn't work at first so I was going to send it back but it works now. There is some latency for playing games but music, videos, and pictures is fine.

For example, droid TV, Vudu, Google Play Music, MX player all those work beautifully. Unfortunately, any pinned content from Google Play Movies won't work you can only stream that. But chromecast is the same. Flixster also doesn't work. I haven't tried Hulu Plus or netflix yet.

But even though it's a cheap chinese company and the instructions are in broken english it was only $30 on amazon which is cheaper than a chromecast, netgear ptv300 and a slimport cable. I use it all the time now. I also don't have internet at home can only use my phone to do it sometimes. So it works for me better than something like a chromecast because it doesn't require internet.

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I use the HDMI out on mine to play movies stored on the device and I find them to be dark on the tv they are being played on. (I've seen this posted on forums but no solution) I find the same thing when I do this with my HTC One. Most hotel TV's lock you out of the brightness settings so cant raise it. Anyone have any ideas? I have the Chromecase as well but still cant stream personel movies with it.

Ano Niem

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
BubbleUPnP all the way! Streams everything to my WDTV Live and Samsung smart TV via dlna. WDTV Live also functions as my (media)server with connected USB HDD and sticks. When I open a video on WDTV over wlan with a file Explorer (ES Explorer or File Manager HD) on Nex7-13 and choose to open with Bubble UPnP (or some other apps) I can stream to Samsung TV. HD movies have stuttering. But can be caused by my Wifi-router which is not 5 ghz, needed for streaming HD without issues.

Other free apps working good beaming video Wondershare Player and iMediashare. (Both Twonky apps s*cked in my experience). Non free BubbleUPnP has many features (Chromecast support, etc.) makes at least to me every tried free streaming and beaming apps a joke. All thes apps can make your Nexus function as UPnP-server too.

For audio, also supported by mentioned apps, I bought a very little bluetooth receiver (?12,-). Can easy connect headphones, speakersets and amplifier. Best solution for me.

If I wouldn't have dlna already I would always prefer anythng wireless over Slimport and woud buy some kind of Android Hdmi-stick.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 (2013) met Tapatalk

Rod Gould

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I have Nexus 7, how can I tell if it is 1st. or 2nd. generation, it was a Christmas gift in 2012. I would like to stream live TV through a Slimport to main TV
Thanks

Welcome to Android Central! Have you read through the preceding posts? They all confirm that by using a SlimPort microUSB-HDMI adapter like this one (Amazon.com: SlimPort? SP1002; Connect mobile devices to any big screen. High Speed micro USB (male) to HDMI (female) connector cable (4.26cm x 2.21cm x 0.99cm)-Supports Full HD and 3D at 1080p @60Hz, 24bpp: Electronics), you can hook up your 2013 Nexus 7 to an HDTV using an HDMI cable (which is the type of cable you need for high def signal). However, the 2012 Nexus 7 (i.e., the 1st generation) does not have SlimPort capability, so this won't work on that model.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
how can I tell if it is 1st. or 2nd. generation
One way is to go to Settings -> About tablet and look at the Build number - then compare it to what you see at https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Another way is to go to Settings -> Apps and scroll right to the Running tab: the Nexus 7 (2013) has 2GB RAM (shown in the lower right corner) and the 2012 model only has 1GB.

A third way is to look at the back of the tablet - if there's a rear camera then it's a 2013 model.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have Nexus 7, how can I tell if it is 1st. or 2nd. generation, it was a Christmas gift in 2012. I would like to stream live TV through a Slimport to main TV
Thanks

The 2nd gen N7 has a rear facing camera, while the 1st gen does not.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!