For voice input you can say, "OK Google" instead of touching the microphone icon. Is it possible to replace that expression?

Thanks,

doug
    10-16-2013 05:34 AM
    10-16-2013 07:25 AM
    Looks like I am unable to initiate a search by speaking "OK Google" (or any other phrase), but touching the mic icon works just fine. Any ideas why this is?
    10-16-2013 03:25 PM
    Looks like I am unable to initiate a search by speaking "OK Google" (or any other phrase), but touching the mic icon works just fine. Any ideas why this is?
    Try just saying "Google" instead of "OK Google."
    10-16-2013 04:23 PM
    Try just saying "Google" instead of "OK Google."
    That no longer works for me. I have to say "Ok, Google," for it to respond.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    10-16-2013 04:25 PM
    You have to update "offline speech recognition" to enable "Ok Google" hotword.

1.make sure Google search app is updated
    open google now==>menu-->settings-->voice-->offline speech recognition--> if there is an update it will say update
    10-16-2013 04:28 PM
    What screen are you in when you are speaking "OK Google"? It's not listening all the time (unless you were doing this with one of the new Moto phones, in which case it's always listening for "OK Google Now".)
    10-16-2013 04:48 PM
    You also need to have the voice search language set to English US to enable hotword detection, otherwise you have to manually press the voice button.
    10-16-2013 07:09 PM
    In Settings > Lang&Input > SPEECH -Voice Search my language is set to English (US) and I've checked Hotword Detection. Neither "OK Google" nor "Google" will initiate the search.
    10-16-2013 10:06 PM
    In Settings > Lang&Input > SPEECH -Voice Search my language is set to English (US) and I've checked Hotword Detection. Neither "OK Google" nor "Google" will initiate the search.
    You have to either touch in the Google bar at the top of your screen or swipe up from the bottom of the screen first before it starts listening. It's not listening all the time.

doug
    10-17-2013 06:01 AM
    Are you saying that to avoid simply tapping the mic icon to initiate a voice search I need to "tap top of screen or swipe up", and then speak a hotword (this procedure seems to work). Where's the benefit in this???
    10-17-2013 07:39 AM
    Are you saying that to avoid simply tapping the mic icon to initiate a voice search I need to "tap top of screen or swipe up", and then speak a hotword (this procedure seems to work). Where's the benefit in this???
    Yes, I believe so. I was sort of wondering the same thing.

doug
    10-17-2013 07:46 AM
    Yes, I believe so. I was sort of wondering the same thing.

doug
    Add me to that list. I don't see the benefit either.
    10-17-2013 01:13 PM
    I think we'll see the benefit in future updates and devices. I have a Droid Maxx, which is always listening, and it is AWESOME. Very, very handy. I could see future devices either always listening, or having something like a smartwatch that has a button to activate voice commands. The current Google Now "Ok Google" voice command isn't really that advantageous, but I think it was a first step by Google toward better things.
    10-17-2013 05:20 PM
    There is one benefit to "Ok Google" I noticed. If you are doing multiple requests. Once you have Google Now open you can repeatedly just say, "OK Google" to activate the mike again without touch anything. That's something, anyway.

doug
    10-20-2013 11:08 PM