Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By still1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default OK Google - is there a replacement for that?

For voice input you can say, "OK Google" instead of touching the microphone icon. Is it possible to replace that expression?

Thanks,

doug

Default Re: OK Google - is there a replacement for that?

not yet but custom hotword is coming to Google Now

Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by 3:
    MERCDROID likes this.

Looks like I am unable to initiate a search by speaking "OK Google" (or any other phrase), but touching the mic icon works just fine. Any ideas why this is?

Quote Originally Posted by gerryp123 View Post
    Looks like I am unable to initiate a search by speaking "OK Google" (or any other phrase), but touching the mic icon works just fine. Any ideas why this is?
    Try just saying "Google" instead of "OK Google."

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffleton View Post
    Try just saying "Google" instead of "OK Google."
    That no longer works for me. I have to say "Ok, Google," for it to respond.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Motorola Razr V3-->Blackberry Pearl 8130-->Blackberry Tour 9630-->Droid Pro-->Droid X-->Rooted Droid 4-->Galaxy S3-->GSM Galaxy Nexus (Stock 4.3)-->Nexus 4 16GB (Stock 4..4)-->Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Note 3 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Nokia Lumia 1520 (Red)

Toshiba Satellite Win Vista-->HP Touchpad w/ CM 9 Alpha 1-->Motorola Xoom Wifi-->Toshiba Satellite Win7-->Acer Ubuntu/Chromebook-->Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1-->Toshiba Satellite Win8-->Ubuntu 13.10/Nexus 7 16GB (2013)-->Samsung Chromebook-->Asus Republic of Gamers/iPad Mini with Retina Display

You have to update "offline speech recognition" to enable "Ok Google" hotword.

1.make sure Google search app is updated
    open google now==>menu-->settings-->voice-->offline speech recognition--> if there is an update it will say update
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

What screen are you in when you are speaking "OK Google"? It's not listening all the time (unless you were doing this with one of the new Moto phones, in which case it's always listening for "OK Google Now".)
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

You also need to have the voice search language set to English US to enable hotword detection, otherwise you have to manually press the voice button.

In Settings > Lang&Input > SPEECH -Voice Search my language is set to English (US) and I've checked Hotword Detection. Neither "OK Google" nor "Google" will initiate the search.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

In Settings > Lang&Input > SPEECH -Voice Search my language is set to English (US) and I've checked Hotword Detection. Neither "OK Google" nor "Google" will initiate the search.
    You have to either touch in the Google bar at the top of your screen or swipe up from the bottom of the screen first before it starts listening. It's not listening all the time.

doug

Are you saying that to avoid simply tapping the mic icon to initiate a voice search I need to "tap top of screen or swipe up", and then speak a hotword (this procedure seems to work). Where's the benefit in this???
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Are you saying that to avoid simply tapping the mic icon to initiate a voice search I need to "tap top of screen or swipe up", and then speak a hotword (this procedure seems to work). Where's the benefit in this???
    Yes, I believe so. I was sort of wondering the same thing.

doug

Quote Originally Posted by douglerner View Post
    Yes, I believe so. I was sort of wondering the same thing.

doug
    Add me to that list. I don't see the benefit either.

I think we'll see the benefit in future updates and devices. I have a Droid Maxx, which is always listening, and it is AWESOME. Very, very handy. I could see future devices either always listening, or having something like a smartwatch that has a button to activate voice commands. The current Google Now "Ok Google" voice command isn't really that advantageous, but I think it was a first step by Google toward better things.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

There is one benefit to "Ok Google" I noticed. If you are doing multiple requests. Once you have Google Now open you can repeatedly just say, "OK Google" to activate the mike again without touch anything. That's something, anyway.

doug