1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 (2013) WIll not Power On - 5x LED Blink - FBoD (Five Blinks of Death)

Anyone else here having this issue with their 2013 Nexus 7? I picked mine up tonight and it wouldn't turn on, so I plugged it in. The LED just blinks five times, no matter how long I hold the power button. I also cannot get it to boot into recovery.

I found some references to this issue on Google Groups, but no solutions. How wide spread is this and has anyone found a solution?

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) WIll not Power On - 5x LED Blink - FBoD (Five Blinks of Death)

Quote Originally Posted by appmy View Post
    Anyone else here having this issue with their 2013 Nexus 7? I picked mine up tonight and it wouldn't turn on, so I plugged it in. The LED just blinks five times, no matter how long I hold the power button. I also cannot get it to boot into recovery.

I found some references to this issue on Google Groups, but no solutions. How wide spread is this and has anyone found a solution?
    If you just go it can't you return it?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Nexus 7 (2013) WIll not Power On - 5x LED Blink - FBoD (Five Blinks of Death)

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    If you just go it can't you return it?
    I got it on July 26th from Best Buy. Their return/exchange policy is only 15 days. I'm sure it is covered by warranty, but I don't want to go through that hassle if an easy fix exists.

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Oh ok, I read "Picked mine up tonight" and thought you had just bought it

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

I saw this w/ the one I returned as well (it also randomly rebooted and randomly ate all the batteries overnight).

Plug it into the charger and let it charge up a bit. Then hold the button down for over 30sec to a minute (yep, weird to hold it that long).

Still feels like a driver bug or some sort of hardware issue to me so I haven't bought a replacement yet :-(
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    Plug it into the charger and let it charge up a bit. Then hold the button down for over 30sec to a minute (yep, weird to hold it that long).
    Still feels like a driver bug or some sort of hardware issue to me so I haven't bought a replacement yet :-(
    That worked. I left it on the charger for about 90 minutes, then tried again. It started up just fine. It was almost at 100% last night, so something happened to run it down that much in 18 hours.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by appmy View Post
    That worked. I left it on the charger for about 90 minutes, then tried again. It started up just fine. It was almost at 100% last night, so something happened to run it down that much in 18 hours.
    Yep. Same symptom w/ the one I returned. Random battery drain. It wasn't the apps because I had the same apps loaded on the N7 2012...actually less apps on the N7 2013 because not all were compatible w/ the hires screen.
    This and the random reboots drove me nuts :-P

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Wow, I really wanted to buy a N7 but this is making me rethink. Do tablets support CyanogenMod as well? Might go with something else and do that

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Tablets have warrants you guys know right.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Wow, I really wanted to buy a N7 but this is making me rethink. Do tablets support CyanogenMod as well? Might go with something else and do that

Yes, CM is working on a version for the Nexus 7 2013, but it's not past the nightly only builds yet.

Banned

Your post day is one day ago and you claimed to have picked it up tonight. Did you mean that you used your hand to grab and lift the device off another surface to bring closer to your face or am I just confused here?

SSgS|||_2_DroidCentral
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by LEMONGRAB View Post
    Your post day is one day ago and you claimed to have picked it up tonight. Did you mean that you used your hand to grab and lift the device off another surface to bring closer to your face or am I just confused here?

SSgS|||_2_DroidCentral
    That was clarified in the third post. I have had the unit for months.. I was referring to actually grabbing and lifting the unit from a desk in my home. Sorry for the confusion.

Had the same problem, it is because the battery is completely drained, just leave it plugged in for an hour or so and then try booting, it will work.