Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Kit kat and Nova launcher

    Since I'm new to the alternative launcher world, will the update to Kit kat make a difference to the launcher? Will I have to disable it in order to get the 4.4 system set up?

    Thanks for any help
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Kit kat and Nova launcher

    Quote Originally Posted by brattyc View Post
    Since I'm new to the alternative launcher world, will the update to Kit kat make a difference to the launcher? Will I have to disable it in order to get the 4.4 system set up?

    Thanks for any help
    No, Launcher do not effect the OS.
    You can update perfectly fine, You will just have to set nova as your default again after the update.
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Kit kat and Nova launcher

    Thanks! Kit kat and Nova launcher-butterbeer.gif
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Kit kat and Nova launcher

    brattyc - If you have Nova loaded now, when the KK update hits your device, you will get prompted for which launcher you want to use. You will also have a choice whether you want the selection to be permanent or just that one time.

    Whenever a new launcher is installed (or upgraded), you will get prompted for which launcher to use as your default. Also, if you don't like your default selection, you can also change it with: Settings >> Applications, then select your launcher and then "Clear Defaults".

    So, you'll always have the option to try whatever launcher you want, and your choice isn't permanent.

    AzJazz
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Kit kat and Nova launcher

    The new Kit Kat launcher is just like any other launcher you download from the app store. It is only an application so you can still choose between the two once the update is available, or you can switch to the new one. Your settings between Nova and the Kit Kat launcher won't transfer but have aesthetics have changed so you'd want to reconfigure you layouts and all that anyways.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Kit kat and Nova launcher

    Quote Originally Posted by AzJazz View Post
    brattyc - If you have Nova loaded now, when the KK update hits your device, you will get prompted for which launcher you want to use. You will also have a choice whether you want the selection to be permanent or just that one time.

    Whenever a new launcher is installed (or upgraded), you will get prompted for which launcher to use as your default. Also, if you don't like your default selection, you can also change it with: Settings >> Applications, then select your launcher and then "Clear Defaults".

    So, you'll always have the option to try whatever launcher you want, and your choice isn't permanent.

    AzJazz
    Thanks, I'm still waiting for the update, guess I'll have to wait to check it all out.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Kit kat and Nova launcher

    Actually, launchers are a bit nicer to use now with KitKat, as there is a settings menu for selecting what launcher to use.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Kit kat and Nova launcher

    I love the Google experience launcher. So much better imo

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Kit kat and Nova launcher

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Android123 View Post
    I love the Google experience launcher. So much better imo

    Posted via Android Central App
    .
    I have been rotating GEL and Nova Prime every couple of days.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Kit kat and Nova launcher

    What do you like about Nova prime. With Gel I feel it has a much friendlier look

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Kit kat and Nova launcher

    Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Actually, launchers are a bit nicer to use now with KitKat, as there is a settings menu for selecting what launcher to use.
    Finally got the KitKat update, I don't notice that much difference (except the notifiers are white and not blue anymore, liked the blue better). I didn't even have to reactivate my Nova Launcher, everything stayed the same after the update.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Kit kat and Nova launcher

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Android123 View Post
    What do you like about Nova prime. With Gel I feel it has a much friendlier look

    Posted via Android Central App
    Gestures. Can't give them up. Not to mention the near endless other customizations (dock backgrounds, app drawer, folder background, changing grid sizes, Icon sizes... I run it on both my N7 and my creaky htc Vivid and it along with SwiftKey give me my own customized consistent experience.

    Posted from my Nexus 7 via Android Central App
    --------------------------------------
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

Similar Threads

  1. Metal clip and 5 plastic nails
    By johnnyshinta in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 01:58 PM
  2. Smart Launcher + Apps on Galaxy Gear
    By MaTtKs1 in forum Samsung Galaxy Gear
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-27-2014, 05:55 PM
  3. How to Import PDFs and Powerpoint Slides into S-notes
    By SophyQ in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-30-2013, 07:51 PM
  4. Google Now and calendar events
    By Dave-in-Decatur in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2013, 05:23 PM
  5. Buzz Launcher
    By The SPCS Guy in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2013, 05:09 PM

Posting Permissions