Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeremy8000
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the N7 finally safe to buy? Also, N7 vs LG G Pad 8.3?

I have been looking at the N7 since release. Looks like it has great specs with an even better price, and I am looking for a 7"-8" tablet. I know it had a lot of problems early on but did they finally fix everything? Was it all software related or were some issue hardware/production issues and if so are they all fixed now?

Secondly, and I guess only if the answer to the initial question is "yes, buying the N7 now is pretty much a problem free experience", what are you throughts about the N7 vs the LG G Tab 8.3? I do like the fact that the N7 gets Android updates fast. I do like the fact that the LG G Tab is 8.3" and would probably be better for web browsing (primary use of the tablet for me), I am just not sure how much of a difference the screen size will make though. I like the fact that the N7 costs much less.

I am down to these two tablets since the iPad Mini 2 just priced itself out of my price range. Well, I know the Mini 2 is only $50 more than the LG, but I just can't see myself paying $400+tax for an 8" tablet.

I appreciate any any replies and thoughts on this. I have played with the N7 at BestBuy but only for a few minutes and just can't tell if the 7" screen will be good enough for web browsing. Brings me to another question, do most N7 users when browsing the internet on their device use the tablet in landscape mode?

Default Re: Is the N7 finally safe to buy? Also, N7 vs LG G Pad 8.3?

Welcome to Android Central! I just got my new 2013 Nexus 7, and it is sweet sweet sweet. Haven't noticed any issues with the touchscreen or anything else, but I've only had it for a couple of days. I can't tell you much about how it compares with the LG G Tab, but I think you'll find that a 7" screen is totally fine for browsing, especially considering how crisp the N7's screen is.

When browsing, I usually hold it in portrait orientation, which allows for easier one-handed use.

If you're having trouble deciding, I think Best Buy has a 15 day return policy, and I believe there is no restocking fee (ask them first), so you should consider buying it and trying it out for a few days. If it's not right for you, return it.

Quote Originally Posted by ab2c4 View Post
    I have been looking at the N7 since release. Looks like it has great specs with an even better price, and I am looking for a 7"-8" tablet. I know it had a lot of problems early on but did they finally fix everything? Was it all software related or were some issue hardware/production issues and if so are they all fixed now?
    I don't think there is a definite answer to your first question, unfortunately. There are lots of N7 owners still complaining about the touchscreen's reaction being wonky sometimes, even after the latest update. My device seems to be okay, it's very responsive and there are no crashes or reboots so far. GPS works alright. For what it's worth, I live in Germany and perhaps we Europeans already got a later batch of hardware. (Pure speculation on my side here!)

Quote Originally Posted by ab2c4 View Post
    I appreciate any any replies and thoughts on this. I have played with the N7 at BestBuy but only for a few minutes and just can't tell if the 7" screen will be good enough for web browsing. Brings me to another question, do most N7 users when browsing the internet on their device use the tablet in landscape mode?
    I use landscape mostly. Mobile webpages look good in portrait mode, too.
    Chrome and Firefox both do a very good job at font inflation, so readability has never been a problem for me, despite the small form factor.

There is some interesting, but very technical stuff about it here:
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

I bought my very early on and haven't had any problems. I highly recommend it.

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by NoraMelua View Post
    I don't think there is a definite answer to your first question, unfortunately. There are lots of N7 owners still complaining about the touchscreen's reaction being wonky sometimes, even after the latest update. My device seems to be okay, it's very responsive and there are no crashes or reboots so far. GPS works alright. For what it's worth, I live in Germany and perhaps we Europeans already got a later batch of hardware. (Pure speculation on my side here!)

I use landscape mostly. Mobile webpages look good in portrait mode, too.
    Chrome and Firefox both do a very good job at font inflation, so readability has never been a problem for me, despite the small form factor.

There is some interesting, but very technical stuff about it here:
    My Nexus 7, which I've had for a couple of weeks has the wonky touchscreen issue. It can be fine sometimes and quite annoying other times. I would have trouble recommending it and hope an update will correct the issue.

Nexus 7
    Live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    My Nexus 7, which I've had for a couple of weeks has the wonky touchscreen issue. It can be fine sometimes and quite annoying other times. I would have trouble recommending it and hope an update will correct the issue.

Nexus 7
    What do you mean by "wonky touchscreen issue?"

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Karrott9 View Post
    What do you mean by "wonky touchscreen issue?"

Sometime I have to tap the same place on the screen 2-4 times to get input. Seriously. I especially notice this when using the keyboard. It just kills any home of typing quickly. You'll be going along fine for a little while and then...what the?...tap...tap-tap-@#$%%! Tap! If it was my only device I'd return it quick-fast-and-in-a-hurry...but I'm hopeful an update ...one day...will help. I wondered if the Zagg Invisible Shield was contributing but I have them on all my devices and the 7 is the only one with this issue. Turns out I'm not the only one.
    Live long and prosper.

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

Sometime I have to tap the same place on the screen 2-4 times to get input. Seriously. I especially notice this when using the keyboard. It just kills any home of typing quickly. You'll be going along fine for a little while and then...what the?...tap...tap-tap-@#$%%! Tap! If it was my only device I'd return it quick-fast-and-in-a-hurry...but I'm hopeful an update ...one day...will help. I wondered if the Zagg Invisible Shield was contributing but I have them on all my devices and the 7 is the only one with this issue. Turns out I'm not the only one.
    Had the same thing on mine which I just got yesterday (built in July 2013). I was thinking it was the keyboard that was bad and was contemplating buying Swiftkey for Tablets (already own the phone version). But it wasn't just for typing... I'd be hitting apps to open with no result or in an app I'd click on something and the thing beside it would be highlighted rather than what I selected.

Frustrating. Will maybe wait until they carry 32GB versions in store (they don't here yet, just the 16GB versions) so I can check the build date on them and try to find something newer... unless Google pumps out an update that seems to fix the issue once and for all.

Definitely a reason to buy from a place that you can return locally to save some hassle and time.

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Fr3lncr View Post
    Had the same thing on mine which I just got yesterday (built in July 2013). I was thinking it was the keyboard that was bad and was contemplating buying Swiftkey for Tablets (already own the phone version). But it wasn't just for typing... I'd be hitting apps to open with no result or in an app I'd click on something and the thing beside it would be highlighted rather than what I selected.

Frustrating. Will maybe wait until they carry 32GB versions in store (they don't here yet, just the 16GB versions) so I can check the build date on them and try to find something newer... unless Google pumps out an update that seems to fix the issue once and for all.

Definitely a reason to buy from a place that you can return locally to save some hassle and time.
    Absolutely. My unit is a 32GB model. If it's a hardware related QC or engineering issue, leave it to Asus. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've seen less than greatness from Asus.

Nexus 7
    Live long and prosper.

Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

I'll say it again. I've had my 32 gig WiFi model since the first week and have never had any problems. None, Nada, Zilch. Don't let someone else's bad karma deprive you of a fantastic tablet for a great price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by jaj324 View Post
    I'll say it again. I've had my 32 gig WiFi model since the first week and have never had any problems. None, Nada, Zilch. Don't let someone else's bad karma deprive you of a fantastic tablet for a great price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    I would simply advise to buy it local so you can return it if you should want or need.

Nexus 7
    Live long and prosper.

^ This is always good advice that people neglect because of "deals" online. Buy new, buy local. That should help alleviate issues if they do come up. Sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by johnff View Post
    DO NOT BUY THE NEXUS 7 !! I got mine the end of September, didn't actually open it until October. It keeps crashing and rebooting. I called Google and they claim since it was shipped more than 15 days ago they WILL NOT GIVE MEW A REFUND!! Their refund warranty is for 15 days!! They will give me a replacement, but just reading the posts on their forums shows that replacements too are crashing! I have gone through 3 factory resets, and deleted virtually every app i put on it and it is still crashing. This thing is a DOG!

The sad thing is that when it is not crashing, it is delightful.

[snipped massive blank space]
    A few things to consider:

• Google marks their 15 day period from time of confirmed delivery, not time of shipping.
    • Return period ≠ warranty period. Former is for buyer's remorse, latter is for service issues that arise for a user who had determined the product should, functioning properly, represent a worthwhile investment.
    • I'm assuming "got mine the end of September, didn't actually open it until October" means you didn't open it until 2+ weeks after receipt. Aside from the fact that this would likely make you the only person on the face of the planet to wait that long after receipt to actually open it, it also means that you voluntarily forfeited your right to return for refund by failing to ensure it was received in working order. That being said, you still have the right to warranty repair/replacement in accordance with the defined policy.
    • Please don't end your posts with a full page of blank space to highlight links promoting websites that have nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand.

Oh - and welcome to the forum
    Citizen Coyote likes this.

Bought the N7 last night from Best Buy. It's been perfect. First experience with pure Android and I love it. The iPad 3 will be up for sale. Never thought I would like the 7" inch form factor but I think I prefer it. Bit more manageable.

My son, an elementary aged child, used to bother me dailyto use my Nexus 10. 2 weeks a ago, having saved his allowance and Birthday money etc for over a year, he bought his own N7 2013. He hasn't even glanced at my N10 since. So if a young child doesn't have problems with it then I would say it is fine.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nestafaria View Post
    Bought the N7 last night from Best Buy. It's been perfect. First experience with pure Android and I love it. The iPad 3 will be up for sale. Never thought I would like the 7" inch form factor but I think I prefer it. Bit more manageable.
    I agree. The 7" form factor is big enough without being too big. I'm think a Nexus 8 or 8.9 would be perfect. With a Snapdragon 800 running at 2.3 of course!!

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I would simply advise to buy it local so you can return it if you should want or need.

Nexus 7
    I exchanged my Nexus 7 today. This one appears issue-free...what a relief.

'13 NeXus 7
    Live long and prosper.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

I bought my N7 on the day of release (bought it local from a Gamestop of all places) and have had zero problems that impacted me. I suppose I did have the early GPS problems, but I rarely use GPS on the tablet and a software update fixed that problem anyway. I love my tablet. It's great for reading, web browsing, games, and other tablet-y things. Every product will have a few lemons; buy local from a place with an easy return policy, open it right away and put it through its paces, and you should be fine.

I bought mine.(16GB) at Staples the day it came out and it's been problem free. Head and shoulders above last year's model, I recommend this it to everyone I know that's looking for a tablet.

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

Saw that best buy in Ottawa has the 32gb model in store... website last week said only online... Will get it again next time it goes on sale as I already ordered a case... hopefully it will be without issue.

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Fr3lncr View Post
    Saw that best buy in Ottawa has the 32gb model in store... website last week said only online... Will get it again next time it goes on sale as I already ordered a case... hopefully it will be without issue.

When you get one without issues it's truly a great tablet.

from my '14 Note 10.1
    Live long and prosper.

To answer the OP: no

I hate Apple with the force of a thousand suns and have an iPad mini. Why? Because it is awesome. That cash you think you've saved by getting an inferior device will be all lost as soon as you get a tiny hairline crack in the screen and it makes it a paper weight.

Quote Originally Posted by justin1578 View Post
    To answer the OP: no

I hate Apple with the force of a thousand suns and have an iPad mini. Why? Because it is awesome. That cash you think you've saved by getting an inferior device will be all lost as soon as you get a tiny hairline crack in the screen and it makes it a paper weight.
    What are you talking about? iPad mini is a lot more fragile than the Nexus 7.

I bought my Nexus 7 on day one...haven't had a single issue but I do know there have been issues out there.

The day I bought it my wife inherited my iPad. I still like the pad, have some great games on it, but the Nexus 7 is just such a nice size for everything, I prefer it to lugging around the iPad which now feels heavy.