Nexus and passords and email

Julia Matcham

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I am already in trouble. Fallen at the first hurdle. (To say nothing of the funny mains plug which had me perplexed for ten minutes ...just a little diagram would have helped! Plus turning it on which appeared not to work ...just a few tips in the box would help! (For others: the large pin pulls out into normal position and starting the beast, you have to hold the button down for longer than you would expect).
It asks me for a password but doesn't make it clear whether this is an existing password or one that one invents oneself. Is it just for security/ password for oneself?
I haven't done anything. It turned itself off while I puzzled!
Then it tries to feed me into a Google Gmail account. I had assumed I would be able to access my BT Internet account via Live Mail ??? I assumed it would be synched in some way. I am no techie as you can tell. I really don't want 2 email accounts or to change my current email address.
I have read the Guidebook looking for clues but there aren't any.
On the credit side, my Wi Fi connection is 'excellent'. That's as far as I have got. Better to get it right I thought than find out how to correct errors!

Advice would be gratefully received...I have an idea I will be a frequent visitor!
Thanks! Julia

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I always found it unfortunate that Google refuses to include a real manual or at least a small guide with step by step instructions. Seems to me the best way to put non-techie people off!

When you start the device for the first time, it will ask you for your router's wifi password; it's usually printed on a sticker on the back of the router.

As patruns pointed out, the Gmail account is needed to connect to the Google Play Store. Of course, once you're up and running, you can use any mail address you like with the included email client.

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :)

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I always found it unfortunate that Google refuses to include a real manual or at least a small guide with step by step instructions. Seems to me the best way to put non-techie people off!

I cannot recall the last device (phone/tablet/laptop/PC) that came with an old fashioned manual. :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The manual is actually added automatically to your Google Play Books collection. But of course, you have to be able to log your Nexus 7 into your Google account in order to access it.

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Ah, okay. I had to download it manually, probably because I'm not in an English speaking country.

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The problem with including a printed manual with devices like this is that they couldn't include any but the most incredibly basic setup instructions. Anything beyond that is subject to change with updates & changes in the software.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Ah, okay. I had to download it manually, probably because I'm not in an English speaking country.

Posted via Android Central App

You had to download it manually because it comes in your "library" which resides on Google's servers until you "pin" (download) it to your device.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I am already in trouble. Fallen at the first hurdle. (To say nothing of the funny mains plug which had me perplexed for ten minutes ...just a little diagram would have helped! Plus turning it on which appeared not to work ...just a few tips in the box would help! (For others: the large pin pulls out into normal position and starting the beast, you have to hold the button down for longer than you would expect).
It asks me for a password but doesn't make it clear whether this is an existing password or one that one invents oneself. Is it just for security/ password for oneself?
I haven't done anything. It turned itself off while I puzzled!
Then it tries to feed me into a Google Gmail account. I had assumed I would be able to access my BT Internet account via Live Mail ??? I assumed it would be synched in some way. I am no techie as you can tell. I really don't want 2 email accounts or to change my current email address.
I have read the Guidebook looking for clues but there aren't any.
On the credit side, my Wi Fi connection is 'excellent'. That's as far as I have got. Better to get it right I thought than find out how to correct errors!

Advice would be gratefully received...I have an idea I will be a frequent visitor!
Thanks! Julia

Pat gave you some great resources. Sounds like you're a little intimidated by your Nexus 7. Please don't be.

You will need to make a gmail account. You need a gmail account so that you can download apps/books/movies/magazines/tv shows from the Google Play store.

Now, email you get from google, from google play store (receipts for purchases) will go to your gmail address. However, you can set up the gmail app on your tablet to get email from your other email account. Or you can use any other email app in the play store to get your email.

This is a common setup. If you bought an iPad you have to have an iTunes account, there is no way around this.

Take your time and come back here as much as you want. In the immortal words of Douglas Adams, "Don't Panic"

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
You had to download it manually because it comes in your "library" which resides on Google's servers until you "pin" (download) it to your device.
Nope, it wasn't included in my library, just classic German literature by Goethe, Lessing and Eichendorff. ;) I have also never seen a translated version of the official guide book, so my guess is that the default content of the Google Play library is different for every country.

And now I have to read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy again?:D

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Nope, it wasn't included in my library, just classic German literature by Goethe, Lessing and Eichendorff. ;) I have also never seen a translated version of the official guide book, so my guess is that the default content of the Google Play library is different for every country.

And now I have to read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy again…:D

Well, we don't really have classic American literature when compared to the older parts of the world. And good luck on reading the English manual! I'm sure you're proficient.

Don't forget your towel.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Nah, I think American lit. pretty damn well rocks! ;)

I wonder what happened to Julia Matcham.

I would have to Google her. I'll agree there have been some pretty creative dudes along the way, like Thoreau & Kerouac, Hunter S. Thompson, obviously Hemingway. But I think we get 'pop' writing best - Stephen King, Michael Crichton, Grisham, Dan Brown, Clancy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781