Nexus 7 2013 charging times?

iamtherealmungo

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I've been using my new Nexus 7 for a few days now and I've found the charging time to be very slow in comparison to my previous android devices (Galaxy Tab 2, Galaxy S3 Phone etc)

How long should you expect a full charge to take with the screen locked using a mains cable?

I'm using the stock cable, mains adapter and the unit is brand new, it's nopt taking days to charge 50% or anything silly, but it seems to take longer than I would have expected!

bagou01

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
same here, i find that the 2013 nexus 7 has charging times way longer than the previous nexus 7 ...
after 1h30 it is charged 50% .... which surprises me.
also, i find the screen way too consuming... if i leave it to full brightness i last half the time i lasted with previous nexus 7... i need to set to auto brightness and only then it lasts the same as previous model...

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
same here, i find that the 2013 nexus 7 has charging times way longer than the previous nexus 7 ...
after 1h30 it is charged 50% .... which surprises me.
also, i find the screen way too consuming... if i leave it to full brightness i last half the time i lasted with previous nexus 7... i need to set to auto brightness and only then it lasts the same as previous model...

the devices battery life is not quoted from maximum power usage at all times.

you for example, can't max out your CPU/GPU and brightness and expect it to last the rated times.

I personally find no need to up the brightness beyond auto, and most of the time indoors, you probably only need 5-10% brightness.

considering you get soo much more in a smaller package, the new nexus 7 power usage is pretty good compared to the previous model.

you have to remember, 8/16gb vs 16/32gb. the more data you put on it and read with it, the more power that takes -- not to mention the storage is much faster.

over twice the RAM. since data must constantly be refreshed in memory, the more ram you have the more power you use.

higher pixel density screen, front and rear facing camera, faster CPU/GPU....these all eat power.

the rated battery life of around 10-12 hours is made up of various activities, like some gaming, some movie watching, surfing the web, chatting, emailing, etc. some of these eat a lot less power than others.

furthermore, people often don't use all the juice in their batteries, leaving something like 10-30% in the thing, when that's plenty of battery left to add hours of usage. so they think they're getting less battery life out of it when they're actually treating 10-30% like 0%.

my n7 takes about 2 hours to full charge. even just a half hour of charging is good enough to give a few straight hours of on the go usage. charge it when you sleep and it shouldn't be an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs